*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• Anyone noticing a lot of consistency in the powers triggered by fastball special?

I kept having The Best There Is set off every time I used Patch while Sentry seemed to always set off Supernova.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing alot with Colossus in PvE and the PvP, I can honestly say he's a pretty decent character. Yes mine was boosted, but only to level 150 and he was only a 5/3/4, I was lacking the AoE of red, but it was still really good.

What I noticed.

I was 4/3/4 going into PvP and ended up getting a cover in PvE to go 5/3/4, but what I noticed is that there was no difference between yellow at 4 and yellow at 5 aside from the slightly longer duration due to the extra turn, damage wise it was pretty negligible. That being said, I NEVER, used Fastball Special except 1 time and only just to use it. In PvE it was all about Rage of the Panther and PvP it was about Surgical Strike. The combo I did see was if you had a Daken as the strongest, it was nice to go Surgical Strike to gather enough Black AP to cast Fastball Special, and with Immovable Object out, it really doesn't matter that you have only 2 guys because Colossus takes all the damage anyway so I didn't miss X-Force being gone as he tubmled back down to cast Recover icon_e_sad.gif.

For me, Colossus is all about getting Colossal Punch off, that hurts, he does combo pretty well with X-Force assuming you don't want Fastball Special, as Immovable Object is quite nice and as said Colossal Punch is really good.

Fastball Special, this skill is 1 of 2 things for you, it's either a defensive skill or an offensive skill. If you really want to use this offensively, you have to build your Colossus 3/5/5 no question, Defensively you can go 4/5/4 or 5/5/3 as your goal is to save a character from an income AoE. For me Fastball Special is that last ditch move that hopefully saves you the game, if things start to go south, you can try to ramp up black to use it and hope something good happens, but with black now having some of the best skills in the game, Fastball Special just doesn't seem to be top tier
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Spoit wrote:
    TazFTW wrote:
    Is Colossal Punch bugged? It doesn't seem to always do the additional damage when he's front.
    I heard someone mention before that it was bugged to only count when it was actually his tiles that were matched last turn. I.e. that even if his yellow is out, so he tanks, it won't trigger if you matched someone else's tile

I ran into that a few times too. Admittedly, I wasn't using it very often since my low level colossus red wasn't worth much when paired with CMags, but any time I tried using it, it seemed bugged. Since he was low level though, he never actually got out front due to a match. Every time was due to his yellow tile, so I can't verify if it works properly if matching one of his tiles. It at least seems like it's bugged when just using his yellow to put him out front.
  • Posting this here because I think its likely some bug related to Fastball Special.

Last night I was playing the Colossus event and I had Colossus, Captain America [Steve Rogers], and Thor [Modern]. I cast Fastball Special and tossed Captain America. When Captain America landed, he used Star-Spangled Avenger, KOing the opponent's final character. When this happened, Captain America was at about 6K health and Colossus and Thor were at around 1.5K health each. The match ended and I got my points and everything and then I went to start another fight and here's where the bug came. Captain America now had about 3.5K health and Colossus and Thor were KO'd. The best explanation I could come up with was that the game thinks I retreated. I tried recreating the scenario this morning, thinking that maybe finishing a match with Colossus' Fastball Special triggering Star-Spangled Avenger randomly causes a bug that makes the game think you retreated and didn't win but after about 10 attempts, Cap keeps casting his other two abilities so I gave up.

Needless to say, I was pretty annoyed because I was out of healthpacks and this pretty much cost me top 25 in the event as I probably could have spread out/milked a few more victories out of my roster with Colossus and Thor still up.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    Posting this here because I think its likely some bug related to Fastball Special.

When this happened, Captain America was at about 6K health and Colossus and Thor were at around 1.5K health each.

Needless to say, I was pretty annoyed because I was out of healthpacks and this pretty much cost me top 25 in the event as I probably could have spread out/milked a few more victories out of my roster with Colossus and Thor still up.

This event does seem odd and it didn't happen to me when I played CASR with Colossus, but then, I don't remember winning any matches with that move either.

As it is, you have a lot more confidence in the ability of your Colossus and Thor at 1.5k health to get a few more victories than I would have.
  • I'm really confused, at first Colossal Punch caused no issuses for me, then it did minimal damage despite having Immovable Object out (but not making a Colossus match prior), and then when I specifically was watching it, it did maximal damage with Immovable Object out, but Colossus not having made the last match. I am going to test it now and try to capture it so that geniuses can figure out what happens and when.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    (Apologies if these have already been mentioned, but)
    I have 2 comments on Colossus' powers:
    1 - when his yellow is active I would sort of expect him to be able to also reduce the amount of damage the rest of my team takes from AoE. If we are using an explosion metaphor: he can't completely block the explosion, but the symbolism is that he is attempting to take the brunt of it - which should reduce the damage everyone else takes... not just his own.

2 - Its not a very heroic thing to do, granted... but when Colossus is your 'last man standing' his black power becomes useless. could it now pick up an enemy and chuck them at a wall? They don't get to fire a power; they just get splatted.. effectively have fastball special turn into a 2nd colossal punch if there is no one with an active left to throw...
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    2 - Its not a very heroic thing to do, granted... but when Colossus is your 'last man standing' his black power becomes useless. could it now pick up an enemy and chuck them at a wall? They don't get to fire a power; they just get splatted.. effectively have fastball special turn into a 2nd colossal punch if there is no one with an active left to throw...

I agree there needs to be some use for Fastball Special when Colossus is the last man standing. It would/could have the potential to keep that selected enemy out of action for the same amount of time it normally would keep an ally out of the action. This could be a great way for Colossus to "stun" a single enemy. Sure match damage wouldn't accumulate during those turns, but it would be a great chance for him to collect Red/Yellow/TU AP for his next attack.
  • Well, dont know how it is supposed to work, but I downed colossus just after fastball, and the other (ms marvel) stayed airborne, and poor dead colossus taked all the damage after that. When she landed she did damage and game continued normally. I think it should work as other abilities, and stop if colossus is downed. It feels really weird that killed character takes the damage instead the living one...
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Miaomew wrote:
    I think it should work as other abilities, and stop if colossus is downed.
    The character has been thrown. Do you seriously want them to suddenly lose all momentum when the character that threw them is knocked out?

Sure, this logic breaks down when you apply it to countdown tiles, because some make sense to stay around and some make sense to go away when the owner is knocked out, but there's only one "airborne"-invoking skill right now, and it would make no sense for knocking Colossus out to cancel its effects.
  • Miaomew wrote:
    Well, dont know how it is supposed to work, but I downed colossus just after fastball, and the other (ms marvel) stayed airborne, and poor dead colossus taked all the damage after that. When she landed she did damage and game continued normally. I think it should work as other abilities, and stop if colossus is downed. It feels really weird that killed character takes the damage instead the living one...

The soldier across the field from you throws a grenade at you. While the grenade is in the air, you shoot down the soldier.
    Grenade is still coming.
  • j12601 wrote:
    Miaomew wrote:
    Well, dont know how it is supposed to work, but I downed colossus just after fastball, and the other (ms marvel) stayed airborne, and poor dead colossus taked all the damage after that. When she landed she did damage and game continued normally. I think it should work as other abilities, and stop if colossus is downed. It feels really weird that killed character takes the damage instead the living one...

The soldier across the field from you throws a grenade at you. While the grenade is in the air, you shoot down the soldier.
    Grenade is still coming.

I do understand that, but downed colossus still standing in front of the airborne character, taking damage, even he is dead, reminded me so much of that old mhawkeye hiding behind downed character bug. Maybe if the animation displayed him on the background as downed characters are supposed to be, It wouldnt have bothered me at all.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did you have another surviving character? If the only person left on your side is airborne then Colossus's remains will "take damage" just because there's noplace else for it to go, like if your last character standing is invisible.
  • I use fastball special all the time with Wolverine Patch...BUT...I make sure that berserker rage is powered up as well. It does a gross amount of damage when it all goes off. Fastball dmg + 2x Berserker Rage + whatever match after that = most things toast. Works well for me, and can only see it getting better as I level up even higher. As a side note, by the time I usually have that all powered up and ready to go, Colossus has both IO and CP charged.
  • I must say that I think Colossus is an underrated Pve wrecking machine. Especially in longer more difficult matches. He was my MVP during the survival nodes during Enemy of the State. I love fastball with Falcon, Bullseye, and Patch. He's one of my better covered 3 star characters so I tend to be forced to experament with him alot.
  • burrich
    burrich Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    I have been trying to use Fastball with GSBW. Has anyone else noticed that GSBW is locked and cannot be thrown?
  • burrich wrote:
    I have been trying to use Fastball with GSBW. Has anyone else noticed that GSBW is locked and cannot be thrown?

Do you remember if she might have been stunned by the enemy? I remember not being able to throw IM40 right after Recharge resolves.

Edit: it would seem that characters with multiple tile placing skills are locked, possibly due to a game crashing glitch ~ GSBW chooses tile placement for all her active skills, same goes for both versions of Captain America as well as Modern Hawkeye who were also locked. Other tile placers like Rocket & Groot, MNMagneto & Invisible Woman didn't have a locked icon but whenever I fired off Fastball tosses; Polarity Shift, I Got A Plan and Force Bubbles did not trigger. I couldn't test Moonstone or 2Star Captain America since I recently sold them. Correcting this bug might also have added reason to removing him from token pulls for Season X.
  • burrich
    burrich Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the detailed reply, Red Panda!

Hopefully, they can resolve this quickly. GSBW is one of the few reasons I have to try to launch Fastball.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    If someone is launched into the air, we know they are untouchable and will fire off an ability upon landing. These flying characters, they should not be able to activate abilities while airborne, should they?
  • I was taking a break from MPQ when Colossus was released. Been playing for the past 4 months and have never been able to recruit him. He is not available on any of the tokens. Is this on purpose or a bug?