So glad survival is over

Options
2»

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really enjoyed the survival nodes. Lots of new character combos to use and new strategies to try. I thought it was fun building out defenses early knowing that they would save you in a much later wave. Sometimes it wasn't about killing enemies as quickly as possible, but just doing match damage to them so you could get another Falcon yellow match to buff shields. Having a new villain, new story, new goons and a new node type made this a great PvE for me.

It may have also helped that I have a maxed Patch, so I didn't feel the need to grind, which definitely increased the pleasure. I could definitely see where having this on a 6 hour refresh would be preferable given how long the subs took to clear.
  • Survival mode is currently way too much in favor of Blade and Captain because of how heavily it's slanted toward goons. They really should feature predominantly guys that can move the board instead of a marathon battle against goons. Also not even Captain America would help much if the later waves actually have 3 guys who can move the board. The enemy could have a hero mix like Gorgon/Gorgon/Gorgon (which is very dumb so far as synergy goes) and whoever isn't stunned is going to have a field day with all the AP saved up earlier if you don't have Blade.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hrm. I really liked survival nodes - it certainly gave the option to dust off some of the typically unused characters (though I did eventually just go back to my standard team). It felt as though there was finally some sort of 'puzzle' aspect to the game as well, which was nice.

But it does take a while to clear, and over the course of 7 days gets a bit tedious. As does everything in 7 day PvEs, tbh. 5 days with survival nodes would be great.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LazyCap was my BFF throughout the Survival nodes.

"Oh look, Gorgon's back!"
    *shield to the face*
    *whump*

In fact it was getting sort of ridiculous, I was throwing 3+ blue and red shields every other turn. I imagined Cap standing there with Hulk and OBW (the tagalongs) alongside him, just handing him spare shields from a massive pile...
  • I loved those nodes.

8k points in one match? Yes please.
  • I for one enjoyed the survival nodes and hope a full fledged mode comes of it. I also look forward to how they implement/abuse them in the next Gauntlet.

Why did you have to say that Kratos? Gauntlet is already hard as is with the nasty scaling and now if they add survival nodes it will be next to impossible to clear the gauntlet. Also tinykitty I am glad that you were able to get top 10. I felt bad when I saw you rank 11 or 12 with about 90 minutes until the end of our bracket even though you were top 10 during most of that pve.
  • The survival nodes took a while to clear but they allow separation. You can see the guys who can clear them multiple times and quickly pull away at the end of brackets and build up a huge lead which allows you to play less later. For that matter even if you're just trying to keep pace of whatever you were shooting for, doing the hard survival node once is usually worth at least 2 of the other hardest non survival nodes put together. Of course, you got to be able to beat them in the first place, but you still get partial credit even if you can't clear it all and they seem to start off considerably easier than what a node of that point range would look like.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    lhkatsu wrote:
    I for one enjoyed the survival nodes and hope a full fledged mode comes of it. I also look forward to how they implement/abuse them in the next Gauntlet.

Why did you have to say that Kratos? Gauntlet is already hard as is with the nasty scaling and now if they add survival nodes it will be next to impossible to clear the gauntlet. Also tinykitty I am glad that you were able to get top 10. I felt bad when I saw you rank 11 or 12 with about 90 minutes until the end of our bracket even though you were top 10 during most of that pve.

icon_lol.gif I'm probably a weirdo, but I enjoy the difficulty of The Gauntlet.

Also, thanks. icon_e_smile.gif I placed pretty poorly overall (somewhere in the neighborhood of T200, but I needed the Ares cover), but it was nice being able to grab that T10 in the sub. Barely got it by sneaking some survival nodes at the very end. All in all, I got poo in all my Tokens though, icon_lol.gif
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally, I loved the survival nodes - would welcome them into any PVEs we currently have or will have in the future - with one main change...

There MUST be more than 1 prize for completing it. Anotherwards, the second clear we do needs to give more than 20 ISO...at a minimum it should be 20 ISO x number of waves.....
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Options
    The characters I use are Mohawk Storm (level 157 with boost), Falcon (level 130) and Modern Captain America (134 with boost). These characters have great synergy and I was able to get through the largest node (at the end of "Nick Fury Rescue) without getting hit (save for when fighting Gorgon I took a few -1 hits). Tedious, but rewarding.
  • Maybe if they put a bunch of survival nodes in Gauntlet, they will add a 4* prize at the end. I'm ready.
  • I loved survival mode. At last REAL tactics and strategy had to be played through for a long-game.
    I finally felt satisfaction from actually playing a interesting team of characters with multiple combinations icon_eek.gif I know! shocking. right?
    I don't mind it taking longer if it's enjoyable, and the devs rightly reward more points for the extra-time spent on a survival mode.
    I hope this game style is here to stay - it's my favourite.
    Thank you Devs. icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This would have been a really fun event if refreshes were every eight hours, so I only had to play an hour-plus three times a day (and not every third hour of the day).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    They really should feature predominantly guys that can move the board instead of a marathon battle against goons.
    Please, no
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I enjoyed Survival.

I enjoyed the occasional villain that could move the board too. Sometimes you need that AI to match its own CD tiles that you just didn't have time to get to, or enough Blue AP for OBW to extend the timer.

I think it was a good mix. I liked getting rewards after clearing each wave. I liked the points awarded. I liked the feeling of accomplishment you got at the end that you don't get repeating trivial, easy and normal nodes.

I like that you can still beat them without essentials, I like that even though I didn't have Patch, XForce, 4thor, LDaken, Blade or 3*Cap, you could still build a team of 2* characters to go through it. The boosts seemed much more worth the use with such a prolonged battle for such a good pool of points.

Because of the length of time they take, and the number of CD tiles generated, you had to put more thought into the status of the board and choose your move options than normal.

I like it. Kudos to the dev team... but I'm not sure I'd like a whole event with nothing but survival subs. I did like the break of single battles to do between survivals that I could do with a damaged team before having to heal up and go at the survival node again.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All in all, the survival nodes are the least broken game mechanic introduced over the past year.
    So yeah; they get to stay.
  • Fulgren
    Fulgren Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I would be down to fight some more survival nodes. Really enjoyed the challenge and the Hand ninjas and Gorgon!!! are fun opponents.

I also liked how the new Daredevil just kicks so much ****. Mine was boosted to 127, which was low enough to let Daken tank for him. Daredevil Purple + Patch is even better than Loki. Keeping people stunlocked with staggered Stun Baton tiles was pretty spicy. Between Patch + Daredevil purple, I was able to keep the board under control and do some painful things to Gorgon when he showed up.

All in all, brilliant event. Should have made Elektra the final progression prize!
  • dijidiji
    dijidiji Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Am I the only person who used Doom? Doom/C.Mags/Hood allowed me to keep the field covered with attack and protect tiles. And 2000~2500 per turn in attack tile damage meant that almost nothing survived more than two turns, even at the highest levels. The only issue was when a tile mover appeared, because there were just so many reds hanging around to be matched. Just had to make sure I had enough juice in other colors to finish them quickly.
  • I also liked it! Hope to see more as well