Have you ever overlooked/missed a key feature?

Options
Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Please share your personal experiences with slight or major overlooks of gameplay, the following is a bit of a lengthy rant, sharing my experiences- I won't be sad if you skip it.

I consider myself pretty new, I'm in my third week into the game and still learning the ropes- balancing my roster, experimenting with character combos, collecting 2*'s, 3*'s not named Bag-man, etc.

Within the past 24 hours I stumbled across a couple of somewhat key aspects to the game, things that if I was aware of from day 1, my roster would probably be more impressive.
A) I was unaware that if you are below 5 health packs, they replenish over time.
I had been hording health packs from the start of the game to use as an as-needed, absolutely necessary basis. Recently, I thought "screw it" and started using health packs less conservatively, stumbling upon a timer.
B) This one is totally on me- In PvP, I did not notice the "SKIP" option. I have not noticed anything negative from hitting "SKIP" a few times until I find a match-up where I should win. Before, I thought I had hit a proverbial brick wall whenever one of three/five nodes turned red.

I'll add more as I come across them, but would enjoy hearing if anyone has anything else to add.

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fineberg wrote:
    Please share your personal experiences with slight or major overlooks of gameplay, the following is a bit of a lengthy rant, sharing my experiences- I won't be sad if you skip it.

I consider myself pretty new, I'm in my third week into the game and still learning the ropes- balancing my roster, experimenting with character combos, collecting 2*'s, 3*'s not named Bag-man, etc.

Within the past 24 hours I stumbled across a couple of somewhat key aspects to the game, things that if I was aware of from day 1, my roster would probably be more impressive.
    A) I was unaware that if you are below 5 health packs, they replenish over time.
    I had been hording health packs from the start of the game to use as an as-needed, absolutely necessary basis. Recently, I thought "screw it" and started using health packs less conservatively, stumbling upon a timer.
    B) This one is totally on me- In PvP, I did not notice the "SKIP" option. I have not noticed anything negative from hitting "SKIP" a few times until I find a match-up where I should win. Before, I thought I had hit a proverbial brick wall whenever one of three/five nodes turned red.

I'll add more as I come across them, but would enjoy hearing if anyone has anything else to add.

I know someone who didn't know health packs regenerated until I told him, nearly a year into the game...
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Options
    I've only been around a few months, so when I joined my alliance back in the fall they kept talking about each others scores in the pvp. I had no clue that you could click on the alliance score and check how everyone was doing. I was probably in the alliance for 3 weeks before I asked. I thought it was maybe only a commander function.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fineberg wrote:
    A friend of mine was complaining about PvP.

"I get to about 250 points and all the fights are worth less than ten points, it's not worth it."

"Even if you skip, you can't find any good fights?"

"Wait, you can SKIP?"
  • Very early on, I didn't realize that you could change who you could hit - I apparently wasn't paying attention during the tutorial. I deliberately re-did the tutorial to see if I missed anything and that was my main takeaway.

I also missed the healthpack regen until I had actually been on the boards a while; I think I was up to 30+ at the time.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It took me a while to figure out that different characters had different damage values for colors. For a few weeks after I started I always thought that IM35 always took red and A. Wolverine always took green. Wasn't until I got my characters up a few more levels before I realized that the character that did the highest damage was the one that took that particular color.

There is also the health pack thing. Took me a couple weeks to learn that they replenished over time. Ok, ok, ok. Fine. It took me longer than a couple weeks. It actually took a couple months. Little over 2 months to be more accurate. icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

And for a 3rd thing.... (I'll try to explain as best I can, so hang in there and bear with me)
    It took me a long time to figure out who hit first when you matched to different colors at the same time. (see pic below)

tutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.png
    tutile.pngtutile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.pngtutile.png
    tutile.pngtutile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngtutile.png
    tutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngtutile.png

In the pic above, I can move the red down to make a red match 3 and the blue up to make a blue match 3 in the same move. But if Thor tanks red and Beast tanks blue then who hits first? Well I finally figured out it is based on which tile I move. If I move the red one down, then Thor goes first. But if I move the blue up then Beast goes first. This took me a while to figure out. At first I thought it was based on damage amount. Whichever one did the most damage went first. But that was wrong.

You live, you learn. Been playing for almost 10 months and I still have no idea what's going on half the time. icon_e_wink.gif
  • But if Thor tanks red and Beast tanks blue then who hits first? Well I finally figured out it is based on which tile I move. If I move the red one down, then Thor goes first. But if I move the blue up then Beast goes first. This took me a while to figure out. At first I thought it was based on damage amount. Whichever one did the most damage went first. But that was wrong.

There's also something else you missed - you shouldn't be using Beast. He's terrible.
  • IamTheDanger
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    But if Thor tanks red and Beast tanks blue then who hits first? Well I finally figured out it is based on which tile I move. If I move the red one down, then Thor goes first. But if I move the blue up then Beast goes first. This took me a while to figure out. At first I thought it was based on damage amount. Whichever one did the most damage went first. But that was wrong.

There's also something else you missed - you shouldn't be using Beast. He's terrible.

icon_lol.gif I know. icon_lol.gif It's kind of sad really. Beast is such a powerful hero in the comics. They could have done sooo much more with him than they did. But that's a topic for another thread. icon_e_wink.gif

I was trying to think of a character that would use blue, and thinking "blue" and "character" made Beast the first one to pop into my head. Just using him for an example. The only time ever actually use him is when I'm doing the Shield Simulator or a few prologue missions just to play around. I like to use him with A. Wolverine and C. Storm and Colossus and Psylocke. Kind of a 90's X-Men team icon_e_biggrin.gif . But in actual game play, you are right. Beast is not very useful. And it only took me about 5 minutes to figure that one out. icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    icon_eek.gif I mean... I'm glad (I guess?) I am not the only one (sounds like there is many) that missed the health pack regen. Maybe the devs need to take a closer look at how health packs are explained? Maybe the tutorial needs a good kick in the pants.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    I didn't know Health Packs regenerated until around day 225, I'm on day 277. So right now I'm sitting on 52 health packs, because I might as well save them for a Gauntlet or some other event with a cover I really want.

Of course, since I didn't understand health packs regenerated, you can imagine how ultra mad I was at the true healing nerf.

I'm also still working out exactly how strike tiles, and things like Demons, psi-katana, and Hailstorm interact. It seems like strike tiles buff each psi-katana dot, but not each hailstorm dot?

I have also learned that I should read ALL effects and affects of any given power.
  • I also learned that once you join an Alliance, I didn't know you could end up attacking other members of your Alliance. I did it inadvertently a few times before someone mentioned it to me in Alliance chat that I had knocked them down..
  • icon_lol.gif I know. icon_lol.gif It's kind of sad really. Beast is such a powerful hero in the comics. They could have done sooo much more with him than they did. But that's a topic for another thread. icon_e_wink.gif

Oh, I agree - he's my favorite X-Men character, and I'd like to use him, but, just, no, never going to happen.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    esoxnepa wrote:
    I'm also still working out exactly how strike tiles, and things like Demons, psi-katana, and Hailstorm interact. It seems like strike tiles buff each psi-katana dot, but not each hailstorm dot?
    Psi-katana and hailstorm actually work the same because they are the same tile type (attack tiles). At the end of the turn, it adds up all of these attack tiles for a damage total and tacks on any strike tiles on top. It only looks like strike tiles buffs each Psy attack tile because there is only one or two out at a time where storm has like 30 of them out.

So say there is a 100 strength strike tile with either 2 strength 200 Psy attack or 30 strength 30 Storm attack tiles. At the end of the turn with psy, it is 400 attack +100 strike for 500 total. For Storm, it's 30 attack*30 tiles = 900 attack + 100 strike for 1000 total damage.

Hope that helps. They don't really explain that anywhere and it is confusing.
  • IamTheDanger
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    icon_lol.gif I know. icon_lol.gif It's kind of sad really. Beast is such a powerful hero in the comics. They could have done sooo much more with him than they did. But that's a topic for another thread. icon_e_wink.gif

Oh, I agree - he's my favorite X-Men character, and I'd like to use him, but, just, no, never going to happen.

Well, they did say in the Q&A that he would be getting "looked" at. I hope that means a buff. I mean come on D3. Beast has been an X-Man, an Avenger, a scientist, and a member of half a dozen other groups. He has super strength, super intelligence, super fast reflexes, and agility. There are so many possibilities for some truly awesome powers there. Even Wolverine thinks Beast needs a buff, and you do NOT want to argue with Wolverine, now, do ya bub?

ySBlbe1.png?1

But as he is now. I only use him when I'm just messing around in the prologue or something. A few matches to kill some time that don't matter if I win or lose. This way I can still use him, (and a few others that I would never use in an actual event), but not have him hurt my scores in events.