*** Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see his red being like Falcon's. Lots of tiles little value
  • Best 3* since Blade. Unless his red and black scale by approximately zero, expect to see (and be annoyed by) him in PVP.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    gamar wrote:
    Best 3* since Blade. Unless his red and black scale by approximately zero, expect to see (and be annoyed by) him in PVP.

Naw, you're forgetting the golden rule of XF / LadyThor existing and obsoleting basically any 3* released. He will be extremely annoying in his tournament though.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thing is, with his black only getting good when used twice or more quickly, it's pretty much tailor-made to burn off the AP you get for using SS on black - which is the one situation where you need another black spender to work alongside X-Force.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    We don't know what Unbreakable does at higher levels. Certainly the protect strength will go up, but another direction it could grow is to increase the minimum number of friendly protect tiles. e.g. "If there are less than 3 friendly protect tiles, Luke Cage generates a strength 115 protect tile".

If you don't have any other fast protect generators on your team, Cage's red could be great.

I honestly, honestly hope not. If it turns out to be that, he might as well say "opponent deals no match damage"
    If it scales up in quantity, it will have to scale very slowly in protect value. My example is probably overpowered, I pulled the numbers out of thin air.

I'm a little surprised he simply creates protect tiles. I would have thought "Unbreakable" would be more specific to damage dealt to Luke Cage, rather than protecting the whole team. Of course, you could make the same argument for "Adamantium Bones".

Well, if "Unkillable" means "low HP protected by a high cost power" then "Unbreakable" can mean "protects from match damage but can't take a real punch".
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, if he makes 3 protect tiles at cover 5, or at least 2, he could be strong with falcon.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    well, if he makes 3 protect tiles at cover 5, or at least 2, he could be strong with falcon.
    Pumping out a protect tile on turn 1 and having an active Yellow means he does have some nice synergy with Falcon. The drawback is that Unbreakable and Bird Swarm don't really mix well.

I'm thinking Yellow is probably the weakest power of the three simply because you need more power when your allies are down, not less. It all depends on how they scale though - I could easily see black getting a longer countdown at higher levels instead of higher damage.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Pumping out a protect tile on turn 1 and having an active Yellow means he does have some nice synergy with Falcon. The drawback is that Unbreakable and Bird Swarm don't really mix well..

The synergy is not so bad. Unbreakable holds the line until you can spawn more reliable bird strike. Red wont trigger because of his own tiles, so bird striking does not make muchdifference.
  • He looks a like a better, not gimmicky Colossus. I don't think he will be that good for PvE. Protect tiles were only good for the event we had because new type of enemy places uncounterable strike and instant trap tiles, anytime it's not Hand you're fighting it's still 0 damage or huge hit/ko. For PvP he seems like one of those climb characters, like others noted he will make match damage low or even null, grab a Hood or other AP denial character (She-Hulk?) and you're golden.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    ark123 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    We don't know what Unbreakable does at higher levels. Certainly the protect strength will go up, but another direction it could grow is to increase the minimum number of friendly protect tiles. e.g. "If there are less than 3 friendly protect tiles, Luke Cage generates a strength 115 protect tile".

If you don't have any other fast protect generators on your team, Cage's red could be great.

I honestly, honestly hope not. If it turns out to be that, he might as well say "opponent deals no match damage"

Luke Cage + Falcon + Black Panther

"Do not attempt to engage me in the SHIELD SIMULATOR; you will finish about the time the next season starts."
  • So if i put Blade/Falcon/Cage in one team, will i get afro-dream-team? I also could use Fury if you know what i mean icon_e_biggrin.gif Ok just kidding, no more racist jokes icon_lol.gif

• Luke Cage + Falcon + Black Panther

"Do not attempt to engage me in the SHIELD SIMULATOR; you will finish about the time the next season starts."

Erm no! You do know Loki would turn all those protect tiles to his advantage as strike tiles and would probably finish that fight faster than you can blink
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think his black is very interesting. Do you play him as a 12 black character for max damage or do you hit once you get 6 and hope you get 6 more AP. In PVP his yellow will be awsome since most players can keep there players alive while generating the yellow needed to fire this ability. Overall I think he will be a very solid 3* and if he can produce up to 3-5 solid protect tiles for free he could be very good, and annoying on defense.
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker

Luke Cage + Falcon + Black Panther

Erm no! You do know Loki would turn all those protect tiles to his advantage as strike tiles and would probably finish that fight faster than you can blink

Even faster than that if you bring boosted Patch's Green, then do Loki's ability!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    We'll need to see his full ability list, but I see him as nicely strategic, at about the same power level as Punisher / Psylocke, but with better health. There are five new Active Power rainbow teams that have 3 Passives.

Luke Cage - Daken - Devil Dinosaur
    Luke Cage - Daken - Black Widow
    Luke Cage - Deadpool - Doc Oct
    Luke Cage - Deadpool - Rocket&Groot
    Luke Cage - Falcon - She-Hulk

There are 18 new Active Power rainbow teams that have 2 Passives.

Luke Cage - Devil Dinosaur - Doc Oct
    Luke Cage - Devil Dinosaur - Rocket&Groot -- All have 8500+ Health
    Luke Cage - Devil Dinosaur - Spider-Man
    Luke Cage - Deadpool - Invis Woman
    Luke Cage - Hulk - Nick Fury -- All have 8500+ Health
    Luke Cage - Nick Fury - Patch
    Luke Cage - Beast - Deadpool
    Luke Cage - Black Widow - Doc Oct
    Luke Cage - Black Widow - Rocket&Groot
    Luke Cage - Black Widow - Spider-Man
    Luke Cage - Blade - She-Hulk
    Luke Cage - Daredevil - Doc Oct
    Luke Cage - Daredevil - Rocket&Groot
    Luke Cage - Daredevil - Hulk
    Luke Cage - Daredevil - Patch
    Luke Cage - Deadpool - She-Hulk
    Luke Cage - Hulk - Mystique
    Luke Cage - Mystique - Patch

The fast blacktile.png ability should do decent damage. He currently seems to be a decent mid-tier character with good health, and a good defensive character due to decent health and a fast attack. I currently see the protect tile as inconsequential, since it only does one protect tile, and only if there are no other friendly protect tiles. I'll need to see higher levels, but at the moment I think that's his worst skill.
  • Quebbster
    Fun fact: Luke has the same yellow and black strength as The Hood, so he should be able to tank for him decently.
  • Yea but he also has the same active colors as Hood, so power overlap will limit your effectiveness. You may as well run a level 40 0/5/0 Hood and then anyone can tank for him.
  • Quebbster
    Lerysh wrote:
    Yea but he also has the same active colors as Hood, so power overlap will limit your effectiveness. You may as well run a level 40 0/5/0 Hood and then anyone can tank for him.
    I'm not running Hood for his active colors. I do find it annoying when he is on the front line though.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO Luke Cage pretty much makes Colossus obsolete as he does a lot of what Colossus does but better. The protect tiles look to put out about Patch Strength equivalent strike tiles so around the 150 protect tiles mark. But gut tells me the strength of the tiles are not going up it will be the amount of tiles as you get that skill covered His Yellow also looks to do about Patch level Beserker Rage damage. Black is going to hit really hard if you can double cast it, I'm thinking about 7K plus if you can get the combo off. Luke Cage looks to be a solid character, not the kind that will win you games quickly but someone that can definetly smack you around, I put him around the Captain America power level (not saying he's as good as Cap, just same power level). So while top tier stays the same with his release, he does create a bit of a shake up at the mid to upper-mid tier levels.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    What I don't get is why his artwork makes him look so small? Sometimes they have covers that are hard to copy like elektra, but still there's always more to look at. It should be pretty easy to see, he needs to be way bigger this time. He doesn't need to be super huge, but something that resembles the cover always helps.