There is NO MMR.

Options
san
san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok, now that I've got your attention, there may in fact be an MMR, but allow me to state my theory... Here's the scenario

Scenario 1:

I play early (in the first 12 hours), get some points and climb to 300-400. I will mostly battle "easy" battles... T-12/24 hours I battle some more, get to 500-600 pts and hit a 166 wall... Nowhere to go, shield. If I don't shield, I get beat down by 166s who all of a sudden "see" me.

Scenario 2:

I play late (last 12 hours) and see nothing but easy targets until 400-500. At 500-600 I hit the wall again. However, defense-wise, I haven't been hit by nearly as many 166s. Theoretically, I would have the same amount of wins, so my MMR should be roughly the same... However, this is not the case.

Coincidence? I think not.

Here's what I think is happening

In Scenario 1, the "easy targets" (i.e. most people with 1*/2* rosters) are playing early, knowing that they have no chance at success late in the tourney. They get what points and rewards they can and get out. In the last 12-24 hours, the vets begin to play and beat most people along the way. They climb quickly and end up at the top. They then form a wall of 166 and stay there.

In Scenario 2, the vets have already climbed the ladder of "easy targets." They've already pushed past the point where attacking me would be valuable, and thus, largely don't bother, as my score is too low in their early climb to make it worth it. They skip me, and move on to the 2* teams who have taken the last 2 days to climb to 400pts. They get some easy wins, and coast into the 500-600 range.

What I am trying to illustrate here, is that I think the MMR plays a LOT less of a factor than your RANK and your POINTS within a PvP event. While MMR may play some role later on, I think this is less than we think. The genius of the "MMR story" is that it gives people a (possibly) fictitious piece of information to argue over as a distraction...

I may be COMPLETELY wrong here. This is an opinion based on my personal observation. What do you think?

Comments

• GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think you are right. I was just thinking about how I haven't heard anyone talk about "tanking" on the forum lately. MMR still exists, of course, but is only determines how easy those early targets are, and so, MMR is not so important to the high level players.
  • I still tank, and it does seem to affect the push to 600 - mainly clearing the 166s out of my queue below 400, and making them less frequent from 400-600. But I'm only tanking about every third PVP now, and it doesn't seem to take as much effort to get to where I used to. I also don't usually aim to get above about 800 or so points, so that affects things as well.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    I stopped tanking all together this season. I now start with the 4-6 seed teams and right into maxed star.pngstar.png and mid-level star.pngstar.pngstar.png
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not sure what the point of the OP is. It's already understood that at a certain point level, matches are made according to points and not MMR. The only confusion is that this cutoff seems pretty variable and unreliable from event to event. But it's pretty obvious that all of your matchups to a certain point are based on MMR.
  • I haven't heard anyone talk about "tanking" on the forum lately.

First rule of Tank Club...
  • j12601 wrote:
    I haven't heard anyone talk about "tanking" on the forum lately.

First rule of Tank Club...

Not really. Fight club was illegal and had to hide. This is as if we'd called some cops and said "hey, look, a fight club" and the policemen just kinda shrugged and walked away
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Anyone know of a decent thread around here that discussed what we do know about MMR/ matchmaking? My alliance is looking for more info to improve our pvp abilities and just so everyone kinda understands things. A link be greatly appreciated if someone knows of one.
  • Anyone know of a decent thread around here that discussed what we do know about MMR/ matchmaking? My alliance is looking for more info to improve our pvp abilities and just so everyone kinda understands things. A link be greatly appreciated if someone knows of one.

Honestly Squirrel1120 you could probably read other threads regarding MMR but once this season ends MMR probably won't mean much after this season ends. Since elite pvp players will not being able to shield hop as often I think that the scores will be closer which means 2* and 2-3* transition will see 166 walls even earlier.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Not sure what the point of the OP is. It's already understood that at a certain point level, matches are made according to points and not MMR. The only confusion is that this cutoff seems pretty variable and unreliable from event to event. But it's pretty obvious that all of your matchups to a certain point are based on MMR.

This.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I still tank, and it does seem to affect the push to 600 - mainly clearing the 166s out of my queue below 400, and making them less frequent from 400-600. But I'm only tanking about every third PVP now, and it doesn't seem to take as much effort to get to where I used to. I also don't usually aim to get above about 800 or so points, so that affects things as well.

First rule and all, I haven't heard anything about it but I've been curious. I've never tanked, but now I run into frequent 166's from 400-500 and keep hitting the wall almost right at 500, making a push to 600 nearly impossible.

Not seeing point-totals makes it hard to know that matches are being made for me by points. Seems unlikely since I see nodes only worth 15-25 from 100 points to 600 points, and suddenly after that I see lots of (impossible) nodes worth 40+: I would guess that means they have vastly more points than I do, right?