Constructing Formal Letter to Developers - *Input Requested*

Options
Enoc99
Enoc99 Posts: 141
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
"David wrote:
Moore"]
Enoc99 wrote:
I will step up at this point and volunteer, with Mr. Hi-Fi's approval of course, and offer to work on collecting information of what we as the community feel are our largest concerns with the game environment. I will then compose a formal letter that I will deliver through Mr. Hi-Fi to the development staff to see about getting traction on some of our larger concerns. Would you be in support of this approach, David 'Hi-Fi' Moore?

If you'd like to gather info and concerns and send me a letter, please do. I'll send it round to the devs.
I am going to work on crafting a formal letter to sent to the developers through our esteemed community manager, Mr. Hi-Fi. I would like to put as much constructive commentary around things that the community is seeing and what we would like to see for the betterment of the game. Please provide me as much as you can, but please do it in as professional and courteous of manner as you can. I do not want to get into a "Us vs Them" type scenario, as that will not be helpful to anyone.

Here are some initial items I plan on working into the letter:
-The rate at which new characters are released.
-Available competitive strategy approaches. Making defensive strategies viable as well as offensive ones.
-Specific character concerns (Beast, She-Hulk, IM40, etc...)
-PvE events, making them less 'grindy'
-Rate of ISO-8 accumulation
-Lack of balanced active powers across different colors
-Token percentages and/or incentives to buy them

Please provide me with as much feedback as you can, and I will write up a communal letter so we can make our concerns known. The Q&A sessions have done wonders for our relationship with the development staff. I feel that a professional letter to them in a single well-thought out communication source will also help. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The correct way to do this would entail a lot of work -- read the Forum and pull out the best pieces. One start is Topics that have gone green. It would be nice if there was a sorting option to easily find the most popular items in the forum.

Next, last posts. Go through the first few pages of the top members, and look for final posts. People that leave the game usually give specific reasons for why they left.

The Stickied items in each section, be sure to read those. For example, the Suggestion index of hot topics. These are hard to maintain, but it's still worthwhile to look through them.

Look through the previous Q&A sessions, especially the questions that weren't addressed or answered.

Once you have the lay of the land, you could compile a letter whose components had a combined 3000+ upvotes.
  • Can we also include questions regarding character vaulting and vaulting schedule? Eg, will 2* and 4* also enter the vault?

Are any more 2* planned, or is this it for that tier?

Thanks.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for taking this on and as one suggestion after you get some feed back you can generate a poll for top subjects.
    My concerns about the game are roster slots and ISO with so many new characters and older characters becoming out dated.

For roster slots: With all the new characters that have been released and all the new ones to come, 1 every other week, roster slots become too expensive. The developers have stated they want part of the strategy to be who do you level, and who do you keep, but that is not very fun. In the begining it is challenging and if you make the wrong choice you can be severly punnished. If you don't make room for the character who is rewarded from PVE you are punished the next PVE. By placing a celieng on the cost of roster slots it will allow players the ability to collect and play more 3*/4* characters. It will also allow more players to purchase character abilites. HP will still be spent it will just now be spent on character abilites to help progression rather than on a roster slot. This will also help speed up 2-3* progression without giving out more rewards.

For ISO- as this is the biggest issue for people in 3* land the issue is this. Even if you are generating over 100k ISO a week you are still not getting ahead on progression with leveling characters. With it costing over 400k to level a 4* and almost 200k to level a 3* players will always be significantly behind. This means some characters will never get leveled and used unless buffed. This means all the hard work the dev's are putting into these new characters is a waist becuase if players don't think they are worth it they won't waist ISO on them. By increasing the amount of ISO 20-40 per win this would give a significant bump and not give a players a free pass to leveling characters. with a bunch of 4* comming out ISO is becoming a very rare commodity.

Old Characters: IM40, BWGS, Doom, Rags, Spderman, IW, all could use a buff. These characters are big in the marvel universe and deserve to be better in the game. Their powers are either too expensive or junk compared to powers of newier characters. Please make these characters more playable. I would also look to include HT, Psylock, MStorm as characters that need more health. They all have some really good abilities, even Storm (hailstorm), but becuase they are so low on health they are not viable, or over powered enough to merit such a weakness. These characters should be fun to play and have abilities that match their status in the Marvel Universe.

I hope this helps and gives more of reasons why I want these changes instead of just complaining.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This sounds like a good idea. One minor suggestion though;.... after the letter is complete, but before you send it to David, you might want to post it on here so forum members can reveiw. They may be able make a few improvements or pick up on something you may have missed. Having others proof read your work is always a good idea.

Again, great idea. Thanks for taking this on. icon_e_wink.gif

edit; ... Could please put something in the letter about IW? They plan to release new 4 star.png characters in the coming year. That's fine by me. I love new characters. But before we get new 4 star.png 's, can they please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE fix IW? As she is now, she is NOT worthy of 4 star.png status. Would you mind asking in the letter if there are plans to address this?

Thanks.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My recommendation is to tackle a few of the more important issues in the first letter. Too many topics can be overwhelming. Maybe the community can vote on the top 2-3?
  • Cost of rosters spots.

New character rate of release.

2-->3 transition vs. 3-->4 transition. How do you not leave the 6-12 month players that are still transitioning behind when the shift is to 4 stars. Especially if you claim the 4 star transition will be smoother. Will the 3 star transitioners be lost in transition as more and more superveterans start piling up 270's. If the 4 star transition is smoother, do we jump straight from 2 to 4?

TIme Shards - unintended consequences. glacial fill rates of brackets. auto join when time selected.

Alliance rewards - as game has grown, these rewards have decreased. Originally 100 out of 5000 alliances (2%) get prize. Now 100 out of 20,000 alliances (0.5%) get prize. Note number of actually alliances at points in time are unknown to me.

Iso - If characters used to be released every 24 days and now they are released every 12 days, iso needs to be twice as plentiful for people to maintain their pace. Again, I do not know the actual time between releases.

Just a few thoughts. I am sure there are 35 more things that interest the forums.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    My top, and really only, main concern about the game is the increasing cost of roster slots. While they say they've increased hp rewards, I don't think it matches the increased costs for a new slot every two weeks (or less than two weeks since anniversary)
  • start with roster slot price, followed by the price of rosters slots, then mention they evaded the question about roster slots, then ask for the answer to the question about roster slots and dont forgot to mention the roster slots price.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think the quickest method to get some input is to put a poll. Say, something like select 3-5 of 10-15 options for issues people find the most challenging. While conversation is good, I think you'll need some data to back up whatever claims you try to make. I like polls, I think others on the forum do too. They are a quick way to express a lot of information, making them ideal for this sort of scenario.
  • san-mpq wrote:
    I think the quickest method to get some input is to put a poll. Say, something like select 3-5 of 10-15 options for issues people find the most challenging. While conversation is good, I think you'll need some data to back up whatever claims you try to make. I like polls, I think others on the forum do too. They are a quick way to express a lot of information, making them ideal for this sort of scenario.
    ''

No the only quickest method is ALL player stop play until dev team come out and say something
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the idea of this, but don't really know what it is you're hoping to achieve? The forum is pretty vocal about what it likes / dislikes / changes it would like to see. If this hasn't registered with the devs so far, I'm not sure how a letter will help.

But as others have suggested, run a poll and find out what the top 3-4 main concerns to players are, then address those. No point writing a letter about issues that no one really cares about.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    I like the idea of this, but don't really know what it is you're hoping to achieve? The forum is pretty vocal about what it likes / dislikes / changes it would like to see. If this hasn't registered with the devs so far, I'm not sure how a letter will help.

Just another case of this, imo.

bang-head-here1.jpg
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What the devs listen to: Changes that will make them more $
    What the devs ignore: Changes that will make them less $

don't expect any free QoL improvements
  • I think it's a good idea, thanks for doing this!
    I think these two questions are pretty important. We should ask the devs:
    1. How exactly are they planning to solve the problem of roster slot costs? Requesting that they give some actual specifics of what they're planning to do, or even what ideas they have if they haven't actually made a decision yet, and not a vague "we're working on it answer." And the same question for improving the rate of ISO gain.
    2. How exactly are they planning to ease the 2 to 3* transition, and what are their plans to make the 3 to 4* transition easier than the current 2 to 3* transition? Again, asking for an actual, specific answer, hopefully discussing a revamp of both the current reward structure and drop rates in tokens.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:

But as others have suggested, run a poll and find out what the top 3-4 main concerns to players are, then address those. No point writing a letter about issues that no one really cares about.
    HiFi suggested it, so I assume it's something that he'd actually pass along actively?
  • Baddkitty
    Options
    I majored in Game Design, but did not complete my bachelors, but i do know a thing or two about balancing.

The balancing between being free-to-play and micro-transactions needs a bit of a tweak. I have spent real money and i'm ok with it. A few $5 in HP a week, either for Roster (at 25 now, which i'm also going to stop since at this point it's roughly $3.20 per slot and not +2 or +3 for 500hp) After last payday i went ahead and got a $20 HP package. No big deal, but i ONLY use them to get covers and only on the daily deal. I refuse to buy ISO, when pve and events can supply it. The rate of which should be increased though.

Take a look at what most people really spend their money on..i image it's Roster slots and HP. Since we can't buy ISO with HP, maybe increasing the rewards for ISO by 25% or more would be a good idea.

That's pretty much the only gripe i have, except that i can spend hours getting a high pvp score, only to be knocked back down to the bottom by all the 200+ lvl players. Shouldn't there be level brackets? I do like that we can skip players, even if it costs 10iso. I find myself doing it a lot or buying boosts to beat lvl94 characters, but there is nothing i can do to beat over 100...at least where my roster stands now after only 30days. but all of this is fine to me, as it's part of the strategy.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is maybe not the best feedback, but hopefully you can use it to better formulate what you'd like to say to them.

The problem with making defensive strategies (which in this game are inherently slower) viable is wrapped up in the entire fabric of the game. Mainly for PvE the points/refresh/rubberband system and for PvP the queueing/scoring model which serves up high point targets which forces people to shield hop. As was brought up in this month's Q&A, at the highest levels of competition the game revolves around speed. In PvE whoever can clear those nodes the fastest can start later on their final clear and/or finish more nodes which will net them more points. In PvP, if you can get in those 2 or even 3 matches during your shield hop, then you can generally climb faster and higher than your competition. The longer your matches take, the longer you are vulnerable to attacks, so you want to end matches as quickly as possible. This was highlighted of course by sentry bombing (almost the antithesis of a defensive strategy) which even hurt your own team significantly, but since it was the fastest way to end a match it was used extensively while shield hopping and led to crazy high scores.

So, the way I see it there are really only 2 ways to make a defensive strategy/team viable:
    1) Make it such a huge scarecrow that practically no one will attack into it. If some team comp took 10 minutes to kill even for the fastest teams, they would likely be skipped to look for easier/quicker matches. Note this only really works in PvP.

2) Create a defense/combo type strategy which could turtle for a few turns before unleashing some massive abilities that on the whole ended up winning quickly. This is basically just a way of saying they need to create characters/mechanics which can transfer defense to offense immediately and efficiently.

There is a secret 3rd way which is to somehow eliminate speed as an important factor in the game. Sadly, I don't think they can realistically do that (and they pretty much admitted as much in this month's Q&A). Maybe they will create the much-clamored-for 'endless mode' which will certainly favor defensive characters over offensive characters since taking the least amount of damage possible will be the best way to keep going (outside of true healers like daken and wolverine, whose healing powers are defensive in nature anyway, only they have some really powerful offensive abilities attached to them as well).
  • Tahroo
    Tahroo Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My concerns as someone with a mediocre roster:

1) ISO-8 .. can't get enough of it.

2) Event Scaling.. destroys the ability of newer or less hardcore players to compete, reverts back to #1 also.

3) Roster Slot Price scaling.. I'm at the point of needing 550hp per slot and new covers just keep on coming every time I log back in.
  • The ui needs to be addressed. We need to be able to see enemy ap without scrolling every turn.
  • PLEASE address 2-3 transition. I put more hours into this Game than most and still see slow progression once hitting this stage. Players will not stick around for this ****.