Lightning Rounds, Jan 07

Comments

• Dang... regretting coming to work now instead of working from home =/
  • forgrim wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:
    Indeed, and appears to be a complete restart, with The Hood.

Noticed no HP in rewards.

never any hp reward in the hood rounds

Ah, ok, didn't realize that. I've never played in them much. Thanks, Forgrim.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Zathrus wrote:
    Indeed, and appears to be a complete restart, with The Hood.

Noticed no HP in rewards.

As forgrim said, never have been any in the 3-cover villain rounds. If there's none in the Loki/Doom/Rag rounds then I'll be surprised.

On an unrelated note, it is somewhat satisfying to yield when you're at #3 in the rankings, giving someone +13 points for doing nothing at all.
  • Quick question, why even bother having point losses in Lightning Round? I mean there's not really any valuable progression rewards. It's like the frustration of PVP events in bite-sized portions. Actually, how do you even get close to top 100, let alone top 50 in LR? D:
  • Oversoul wrote:
    Quick question, why even bother having point losses in Lightning Round? I mean there's not really any valuable progression rewards. It's like the frustration of PVP events in bite-sized portions. Actually, how do you even get close to top 100, let alone top 50 in LR? D:

By having a teams that beats battles fast, and is beefy enough that other targets will be quicker and less costly. Usually involves having a high level Magneto Classic or Ragnarok.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    Oversoul wrote:
    Quick question, why even bother having point losses in Lightning Round? I mean there's not really any valuable progression rewards. It's like the frustration of PVP events in bite-sized portions. Actually, how do you even get close to top 100, let alone top 50 in LR? D:

By having a teams that beats battles fast, and is beefy enough that other targets will be quicker and less costly. Usually involves having a high level Magneto Classic or Ragnarok.

So, you use the villains you already have to win villains... that you most likely already have. The rich get richer.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Kyosokun wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    lightning Round shields are for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and one hour respectively

still 50, 100, and 200 HP

So, given the limited time, they're probably worthless except for maybe the 15 min one (Use right at the end to protect a lead).

Even then you're likely to be giving up your lead to someone else... the LR are simply too competitive.

Plus the big guns largely avoid one another because it's too costly to attack -- you want to take on 3 L100+ (or even 80+) villains, or, really, ANYONE else?

Oversoul -- LR are pure progression... but not progression awards. You start off by getting a good enough ranking to get a Diabolical (or lucky pulls from standard/heroic). You build up that villain, then leverage that to place better in other rounds. Rinse and repeat. The hard rounds are Rags and Mags. Hood is difficult only because of the huge point swings.

A good team to use before you have any villains is Wolverine/C Storm/villain or Wolverine/Thor/villain -- as long as Wolverine is tanking for you (which is why my C Storm is L83 instead of 85).

Edit: Duh. OBW now instead of Storm. Way better team.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Misguided wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:
    lightning Round shields are for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and one hour respectively

So, serious question, if people complain that the lightning rounds are pay to win, and you can't get HP from lightning rounds, does that make their gripe more legitimate?

Not really. Keep hitting the shielded person.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

So, serious question, if people complain that the lightning rounds are pay to win, and you can't get HP from lightning rounds, does that make their gripe more legitimate?

Less legitimate. Good luck actually benefiting from a shield in a lightning round.
  • Oversoul wrote:
    Kyosokun wrote:
    Oversoul wrote:

So, you use the villains you already have to win villains... that you most likely already have. The rich get richer.

considering that these are non bracketed and only top 25 get villian covers and top 100 tokens? yep pretty much but that's okay, I have hope that i'll eventually get there when i can start to finally pulling freaking thor covers that ARENT green icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Kelbris
    Hood rounds seem to still have the messed up point system. Hopefully they didn't make that across the board with LR and use shields as an excuse.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Misguided wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

I don't expect lightning round shields will be a big thing, but we'll see. Lightning round leads are usually so small, putting on a shield and not attacking doesn't seem like an effective way to win.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    Hood rounds seem to still have the messed up point system. Hopefully they didn't make that across the board with LR and use shields as an excuse.

I'll go ahead and guess that if it isn't yet, it soon will be.
  • Kelbris
    Zathrus wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

I'll go ahead and guess that if it isn't yet, it soon will be.

Hopefully I can get my fifth red Rag before that happens, if it does.
  • I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to lightning rounds, is there any specific order or are the rounds random?
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Oversoul -- LR are pure progression... but not progression awards. You start off by getting a good enough ranking to get a Diabolical (or lucky pulls from standard/heroic). You build up that villain, then leverage that to place better in other rounds. Rinse and repeat. The hard rounds are Rags and Mags. Hood is difficult only because of the huge point swings.

A good team to use before you have any villains is Wolverine/C Storm/villain or Wolverine/Thor/villain -- as long as Wolverine is tanking for you (which is why my C Storm is L83 instead of 85).

Edit: Duh. OBW now instead of Storm. Way better team.

The only top 100 I've gotten was playing off hours. I might have gotten a bagman for that one, though. I got a bagman for my doubleshot token, too...
  • I threw a shield up, but did it wrong, not bag manning out first.
    Only reason I did that is my lunch is over and I can't stare a the screen relentlessly. It wears off 15 minutes before the end, so we shall see how this goes.

Good for an experiment anyway.

Also I drew the bracket with Nemek And Zathrus... at least I didn't see DumDum like usual
  • bongo king wrote:
    I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to lightning rounds, is there any specific order or are the rounds random?

Hood Doom Loki Mags Rags

Each round lasts for 90 minutes, new round starts 30 minutes after the previous one ends.

There's 5 of each except for Rags.

And whoever coined the MR HiDdLeston mnemonic -- I hate you. Even though it's the wrong order it's actually useful!
  • Another thing worth noting: most every team I saw was The Hood and some combination of one of the other boosted villains, Wolverine, Thor and OBW.

It feels like a mild coronation into the ranks of power for her.

Also Espionage + Doramu = YOU HAVE NO AP MUAHAHAHAHAH
  • rabscutle wrote:
    Another thing worth noting: most every team I saw was The Hood and some combination of one of the other boosted villains, Wolverine, Thor and OBW.

It feels like a mild coronation into the ranks of power for her.

Also Espionage + Doramu = YOU HAVE NO AP MUAHAHAHAHAH

Espionage + strike tiles is very lethal. Use OBW so much ever since the Widow tournament.