*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    His blue power, stuns are nice if the countdown timers actually resolve! I've never been keen on countdown timers on any ability. as it always seems to me when the Ai places an countdown timer, its hard for me to remove; but when I place a countdown timer, the AI can literally match it on the following turn. And that seems to happen like 99.99999% of the time! For me there are better stuns elsewhere as a result.

At least with Daredevil's blue, if it hits an obvious match spot, you can just match yourself and recover 5 blue (3 from match, 2 from the tile), which allows you to relaunch fairly quickly, and you still get the initial stun. Much better mechanic than some others.
  • His blue power, stuns are nice if the countdown timers actually resolve! I've never been keen on countdown timers on any ability. as it always seems to me when the Ai places an countdown timer, its hard for me to remove; but when I place a countdown timer, the AI can literally match it on the following turn. And that seems to happen like 99.99999% of the time! For me there are better stuns elsewhere as a result.

At least with Daredevil's blue, if it hits an obvious match spot, you can just match yourself and recover 5 blue (3 from match, 2 from the tile), which allows you to relaunch fairly quickly, and you still get the initial stun. Much better mechanic than some others.

That's ONLY if I get to match it. The thing is when ever I place a countdown timer of any sort, even if the board is very light on the colour of that countdown tile, the AI seems to either find a way to match it or literally destroy it on the very next turn after I placed it. That is why I absolutely hate countdown tiles, utterly useless for me to use and an utter pain for me to remove when the AI uses them.

EDIT: the only countdown timer I don't mind using is Captain America's two, as I can actually choose where to place them instead of having them randomly placed.
  • gamar wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Red is obviously his best power. His purple and blue are both underpowered at 3 covers. Purple is even underpowered at 5 covers. Why only 5 tiles? Why can't it affect all the special tiles on the board at 5 covers instead? 5 is pretty low I think. It doesn't even target countdown tiles. I'm very disappointed.

In my eyes, only his red saw some improvement while his two other powers are nerfed. I hope he is good enough to use for only his red power.
    ? His blue went from "completely useless" to "probably useable, possibly even good"
    Obviously you didn't stun with old DD before.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    Red is obviously his best power. His purple and blue are both underpowered at 3 covers. Purple is even underpowered at 5 covers. Why only 5 tiles? Why can't it affect all the special tiles on the board at 5 covers instead? 5 is pretty low I think. It doesn't even target countdown tiles. I'm very disappointed.

In my eyes, only his red saw some improvement while his two other powers are nerfed. I hope he is good enough to use for only his red power.
    ? His blue went from "completely useless" to "probably useable, possibly even good"
    Obviously you didn't stun with old DD before.
    No, I didn't. NOBODY did, because it never went off icon_lol.gif
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Oh for pity's sake. Couldn't they have waited to update Daredevil and Loki until after I'd completed Simulator 31?

I just got to it and had my **** handed to me all gift wrapped and everything.

The first thing I thought after reading Daredevil's changes was that I was glad I had already finished that node. icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like 3/5/5 will be the popular way to go, just as I figured, the prefered build was 5/3/5 so lets make the 3 worth 5 covers icon_e_sad.gif.

First off, his red now, Holy ****!!!!! 7AP for potentially unlimited damage, this is the time where you don't want them matching your tile as you can really get some mileage out of it, this makes Blade and Daken a very strong counter as you don't want that bouncing around.

Blue gets pretty strong at 5 covers, a constant stun assuming the tiles survive, I do like this.

Purple, meh. Even maxed you are only going to do 2870 damage. This just basically was thrown it there to make him useable against goons.

Overall---2 thumbs up

He seems to be a bruising/support similar to Magneto where they can put the hurt on and slow you down as in Magneto's case, or stun you as in Daredevils case. His blue will come in handy when you are facing down that last 395 and you can keep him locked down for the most part. Not sure if it's better than Caps shield, but you can use it 1 turn sooner. I think he'll see some play finally, in fact he could be very, very good in PvE goon fights as you can cast Ambush once and just attack for free, can you imagine getting 2 or three of these going in PvE?
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Purple, meh. Even maxed you are only going to do 2870 damage. This just basically was thrown it there to make him useable against goons.

I think people are missing purple's real usefulness. It's not the damage, it's the killing tiles. The damage is a very nice cherry on top, as is the cascade possibility, but the main thing this does is kill strike tiles.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    A completely new character, and honestly DD needed it. He is a variant on Cap'n Steve now, with blue stun and red damage, and an ability to destroy enemy tiles. His ease of destroying a small number of enemy tiles is a good change to the match-ups, with characters like 1*/3* Storm and Falcon getting a boost. He should be a good anti-Sentry character too, since he can destroy the strike tiles without being distracted by the countdowns.

I'm saying 3/5/5 although 5/3/5 should be good with (and against) Patch with maxed green.
  • His Red is 8ap now, btw.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    ark123 wrote:
    Blue...I don't even understand. 9 blue to stun for 2 turns, then babysit a countdown tile for 2 turns to get the same effect? I'd rather have 1*BW's power. I mean potentially this is 9 blue for 4 turns of stun, but...meh?

I believe it the countdown restarts, like Punisher's black countdown. Haven't tested it yet.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

I think people are missing purple's real usefulness. It's not the damage, it's the killing tiles. The damage is a very nice cherry on top, as is the cascade possibility, but the main thing this does is kill strike tiles.

He converts them to basic tiles rather than destroying them, so there's no cascade.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Actually, Daredevil's purple could be a really effective weapon against Daken. His red won't be effective against him, though.

I really like the new Daredevil in general; his red is deadly in non-Daken matches.
    ...on offense. In defense he's gonna use every single one of his powers at inopportune times - stun the wrong guy, not match the red trap tile, and use purple before there are any special tiles on board.

So he might just be the single worst character on defense of all time, including mnmags.
  • Phaserhawk
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Actually, Daredevil's purple could be a really effective weapon against Daken. His red won't be effective against him, though.

I really like the new Daredevil in general; his red is deadly in non-Daken matches.

yeah it is. I was monkeying around against goons and had two traps bouncing around as I was doing massive damage.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    Blue...I don't even understand. 9 blue to stun for 2 turns, then babysit a countdown tile for 2 turns to get the same effect? I'd rather have 1*BW's power. I mean potentially this is 9 blue for 4 turns of stun, but...meh?

I believe it the countdown restarts, like Punisher's black countdown. Haven't tested it yet.

I don't have DD to test, but judging from the description it seems like the countdown has two effects when it resolves: It stuns the current enemy and it creates another Equalizer countdown someplace else on the board. When that countdown resolves it creates another one, and on and on, bouncing from tile to tile (so you're not babysitting the same space for the whole game), until somebody finally "catches" the billy club.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    This is gonna be great. People will try to use him in pvp and he will stun the wrong guy (using the skill as soon as it has enough ap), match the countdown, ignore his own red tile and use purple when there's no special tiles on board. It's like they started with "Say we want to design the character the AI would play the worst way possible, how would we do it?"

This is the one character the AI could possibly play worse than mnmags.
  • Phaserhawk
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I tend to think 5/3/5 is still his best build, because his blue is going to be fairly conditional and a little tricky to use, plus there are more good blue moves than good purple ones.

That being said...

Ultimately, it's going to come down to how you want to use him. His purple is going to be very, very effective against a few difficult enemies - Maggia muscle for one, and anyone else who lays down strike or attack tiles. It's not a bad idea when facing Daken, though his red won't work reliably there. I think he's moved into the solid "B" tier, while in the "A" tier against certain primarily-seen-in-pve enemies. His purple completely turned one of the gauntlet nodes with punisher around for me this morning, and his red finished off the match.

His blue might be very usable against Hulk and the like, so his best build may vary depending on how you use him. I'm keeping him as he is for the time being, and as I get a little more experience with his powers (I expect him to get a PVP and be an award this season) I may reevaluate. I have the relative luxury of a Daredevil who's already at 160th level.

yeah I know 3/5/5 will be the popular build, but I'm not sold yet on his blue, but also not sold on his purple either. Unfortunately neither purple or blue is very good at level 4. His red IMO is one of the best in the game right now, assuming you can keep it going. He is pretty much captain america right now but with less life but cheaper abilites.
  • ark123 wrote:

So if you have two going on consecutive turns the character in front is permastunned? sounds unlikely.
  • While it does simulate one of his key moves, it could get crazy with dozens of billy clubs flying around the field stunning everything in sight.
  • Phaserhawk
    ark123 wrote:
    This is gonna be great. People will try to use him in pvp and he will stun the wrong guy (using the skill as soon as it has enough ap), match the countdown, ignore his own red tile and use purple when there's no special tiles on board. It's like they started with "Say we want to design the character the AI would play the worst way possible, how would we do it?"

This is the one character the AI could possibly play worse than mnmags.

First off his purple won't work if no tiles are on the board so no worries there. The AI plays random so it will or won't match Daredevils tile, just like if you went against a Punisher and he matches the Molotov Cocktail tile right away, the AI just plays. As for the blue, the AI never targeted, wether it's Mystique, Marvel, Cap America, if they can use the skill they will stun whoever' you left out front. Using MNMags is a terrible example, because any character that places tiles for AP generation, BWGS, MNMags, (old)C.Mags, the AI just randomly places so no, the won't be the worst AI character.
  • ark123 wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

So if you have two going on consecutive turns the character in front is permastunned? sounds unlikely.
    The countdown has a minimum of three turns so wouldn't it take three going to "automatically" permastun someone?