PSA about 4* Thor

Unknown
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
I've been seeing something on the forum for weeks that has been bugging me more and more every time I see it.
When they announced the new (female) Thor, they specifically said “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Source: (Series writer Jason Aaron): http://marvel.com/news/comics/22875/mar ... z3L94STJCd

PLEASE stop calling her Lady Thor/Thora/Thorina/etc. I've seen some people using 4hor or 4thor; GoT (Goddess of Thunder) would be good too. Please be respectful to the character and those who created her and don't call her female derivative names of Thor as if she's meant to be a sidekick or something. I get that it's confusing and we can't just call her "Thor," but surely we can agree on a better nickname for her?

Edit for clarification: I'm not trying to turn this into a controversy or say that the nicknames are offensive. I just think that since the author of the comic specifically said not to call her those things that we should come up with a different nickname. That's all.

Comments

• On the contrary I do think names like Lady Thor or Throina, etc can be used in a negative light to attempt to demean or lessen if someone is trying to do insinuate that the female version is somehow inferior to the masculine version.

They can also be used as simple differentiators. I think we all agree 4* Thor is awesome and there is not a shred of disrespect from the players towards the character even if they struggle to find suitable nickname to refer to her instead of her other versions.

I applaud you for being sensitive to the issue but when the feminine version is clearly the most badass version it is no disrespect to address her as such.

In fact Lady Thor always read like a title to me anyways, might start calling 3* Lord Thor now just because icon_razz.gif

Maybe we can agree Thorita, and Thorina are right out however.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    In short....no. Sorry.

In lengthier response:
    People like giving nicknames to things. Happens to people, places, objects, even ideas and couplings.

It's not a sign of disrespect - unless, of course, you WANT to be offended by it. I don't believe a single person has used her nicknames in a derogatory fashion.

Examples on the forum- Doctorpus, bagman, crotchdevil, etc

*shrug* it's just human. Go with it or get over it.

FYI, I call her Goddess. Just 'cuz.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Nontroversy.

I don't see how being a woman indicates that she is somehow less; perhaps you'd care to elaborate. She is a lady. She is Thor.
  • Taganov wrote:
    Nontroversy.

I don't see how being a woman indicates that she is somehow less; perhaps you'd care to elaborate. She is a lady. She is Thor.

Perhaps she identifies as a man or feels squiggly today. Don't foist your cisgender nonsense on him/her/banana so hastily.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    rvs623 wrote:
    I've been seeing something on the forum for weeks that has been bugging me more and more every time I see it.
    When they announced the new (female) Thor, they specifically said “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Source: (Series writer Jason Aaron): http://marvel.com/news/comics/22875/mar ... z3L94STJCd

PLEASE stop calling her Lady Thor/Thora/Thorina/etc. I've seen some people using 4hor or 4thor; GoT (Goddess of Thunder) would be good too. Please be respectful to the character and those who created her and don't call her female derivative names of Thor as if she's meant to be a sidekick or something. I get that it's confusing and we can't just call her "Thor," but surely we can agree on a better nickname for her?

Please, stop spreading animosity where there is none but that which you bring with you.

We also daredevil, bagdevil; psylocke, psyduck; iw, baglady; 3* thor, fat thor; etc.; etc.

Just like the 3* version of thor... the nick does not mean the character stinks. It's just a reference of which thor is being referred to.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    In short....no. Sorry.

In lengthier response:
    People like giving nicknames to things. Happens to people, places, objects, even ideas and couplings.

It's not a sign of disrespect - unless, of course, you WANT to be offended by it. I don't believe a single person has used her nicknames in a derogatory fashion.

Examples on the forum- Doctorpus, bagman, crotchdevil, etc

*shrug* it's just human. Go with it or get over it.

FYI, I call her Goddess. Just 'cuz.
    I agree that calling her "Lady Thor" is not an inherent sign of disrespect, I just think that since the author of the comic specifically said not to call her that that we should find something else to call her. That's all.
    "Goddess" works for me too!
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I've been referring to her simply as Thor for a while no and there's yet to be any confusion within my alliance. It's pretty much a given that we aren't talking about ***Thor or **Thor these days.

If I tell my alliance "damn...just got wiped by Thor/XF/Fury"...
    The response has never been...."Wait, was that Thor, Lazy Thor or Lady Thor?"

Likewise, if we're playing in a *** Thor PvP event, it's easily assumed that Thor will refer to *** Thor when referencing PvP details.

99% of the time you can simply say Thor and people will know what you're talking about in the context.

Note: You could also differentiate her by calling her Goddess or GoT (Goddess of Thunder). Much in the way we short form Black Widows by their subtitles GSBW and OBW.
  • I like T4or. 4hor sound weird when I say it. Four -Hor. Not good. T4or is just T-For.

Or just call her TGT.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't find the thread where you complained about LazyThor, LazyCap, and LazyDaken, so I'm forced to conclude that you think it's ok for men to be labelled as worthless do-nothings. I'm so deeply offended, I'm going to go sink into the couch and see what's on TV.
  • The comics are different from the game. In the comics, she's the only Thor, and so it makes sense to kind of lay down the law there. You don't really need to differentiate.

In the game, though, there are three Thors. We need some sort of nickname for each of them, just for the sake of clarity. And she was the last one introduced.
  • I just called her Thoress because its a portmanteau of Thor and goddess.
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The comics are different from the game. In the comics, she's the only Thor, and so it makes sense to kind of lay down the law there. You don't really need to differentiate.

In the game, though, there are three Thors. We need some sort of nickname for each of them, just for the sake of clarity. And she was the last one introduced.

Came here to say exactly this, thanks for saving me the time Benn.

Would also like to echo Simonsez's post, it's not offensive to refer to Thor with feminine sounding modifiers unless you view being a woman as a negative. It's a bizarre position to stake out and I'm sure not what was intended.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Nothing wrong with using a name that separates the female version from the male version. Its not sexist, as the male came first. If you took a character like the wasp and made her a he, people would likely find some male derivative name for wasp then as well.
  • Thormbulina it is.
  • You're not allowed to call her names like that. The only exception might be that you have thorette.
  • Can I call her Publicity Stunt?

If they genuinely wanted to, they could have made a female character that could whoop Sentry's butt while wearing a costume that was badass while not accentuating sexuality. If they wanted to.

Instead they go for shock value by taking a male hero of legend and making Thor a female.

So I will call her what I wish, while at the same time not insulting the female gender. Lady Thor works, but I like some of the other ideas here as well.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    rvs623 wrote:
    Please be respectful to the character and those who created her and don't call her female derivative names of Thor as if she's meant to be a sidekick or something.

Here's the thing: no matter what you do or say, she is a derivative of the original Thor.

Thor turned female is nothing more than a cheap tactic by Marvel to both bait female readers and placate feminist outcry over cape comics being male-centric. Rather than coming up with a character that could stand on her own, they cannibalize Thor's character and then have their female derivative ride on the coattails of the popularity established by the original. Frankly, having the new character be such a derivative is kind of insulting to those same demographics Marvel is trying to appeal to. (Really; what kind of signal is this sending? She needs a male base to get any kind of popularity going?)

Furthermore, at the same time the fall from grace and taking of his name is disrespectful to the original Thor character and those who created him as well. So asking to be respectful to the new Thor, while the new Thor was created in a manner that is totally disrespectful to the old Thor; that's ... well, that's kind of hypocritic, really.

Personally I think a light mocking of the name is just the right amount of respect to show this character and its creator. Marvel is stepping on a lot of toes with it, and they know they are. They already have their contingency scenario prepared and ready to go now that New Avengers has shown Odinson tap into his multiverse alternate's Mjolnir, which has the enchantment mirrored: "Whoever holds this hammer, if he prove unworthy, shall possess the power of Thorr".
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Who in the hell of hells cares? Erm. Apart from OP, I suppose.

Seriously, there are 3 Thors, and there's a need to distinguish between them. That's all this is. As a female, I can safely say I take no feminist offence against a comic book character, who is a woman, being referred to as a lady.

Maybe if we were calling her **** Thor... excuse me... *takes moment to snicker to self*... I'd see a problem. Otherwise, as someone else said, if we can call 3* versions 'Lazy' without a forum riot, I fail to see how 'Lady' is offensive.

Also, y'know... the hell I'm going to be dictated to on a forum how I can/can't refer to a character (within the boundary of common decency).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    I like T4or. 4hor sound weird when I say it. Four -Hor. Not good. T4or is just T-For.
    Uh, more like T-four-or.

Or does nobody remember that time we were expected to pretend that Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, and Brad Pitt weren't in a movie called Se-Seven-En?
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    I'm in denial that she's Thor. I just don't accept it. Hate it when they have to "reimagine" characters like this.

Thor is a dude. Is it so hard to create an original genuinely female character? No.

I also don't want Dr. Who to be a woman. It's not sexist. The character is a dude. So is Thor.

Thorina, Thorette, Thorella - whatever you call her, she kicks butt. She doesn't need to be called Thor to have our respect.

PS -I'm a woman.