Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) - 2*

Comments

• KevinMark wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    The main use of this character is to be kept at around lvl 45-50 and use yellow to generate TU tiles for tanking. And she's amazing at that.
    Can you eloborate on that if you don't mind?

Look up auto tanking.
  • ark123 wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    The main use of this character is to be kept at around lvl 45-50 and use yellow to generate TU tiles for tanking. And she's amazing at that.

Look up auto tanking.

Look it up where? There's only one other (equally opaque) reference to it on this board and Google's no help. Could your please elaborate?
  • ark123 wrote:
    KevinMark wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Look up auto tanking.

Look it up where? There's only one other (equally opaque) reference to it on this board and Google's no help. Could your please elaborate?
    PM one of the competitive alliance guys about it. I know a bit about it but I still can't make sense of ark's statement. It's probable there is something I'm missing. I didn't bother to ask further because I will probably max her and use her like that.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    If you figure it out let me know, too. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Auto tanking is where you leave an extremely weak team as your last defensive team in order to lose a lot to other players while offline. Often, you need to utilize high-level teamups to get that last win (meaning abilities like Ms. Marvel yellow and Storm yellow are useful to get TUAP to use them).

I only mention this because I'm fairly sure Demiurge has tuned it down quite a bit and it seems much less effective than it used to be in terms of affecting bracketing and matchmaking.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Gotcha. I'm familiar with the strategy and have even used it in the past--just didn't know it was called auto-tanking. I generally just keep a seed team node and use that instead of TUs.
  • Trisul wrote:
    Auto tanking is where you leave an extremely weak team as your last defensive team in order to lose a lot to other players while offline. Often, you need to utilize high-level teamups to get that last win (meaning abilities like Ms. Marvel yellow and Storm yellow are useful to get TUAP to use them).

I only mention this because I'm fairly sure Demiurge has tuned it down quite a bit and it seems much less effective than it used to be in terms of affecting bracketing and matchmaking.
    I think it's because of new slice system why it's been less effective. I get less retaliations since slicing.
  • Has anyone had her drop from a PVP yet? I still need two red covers for her; the only ones I've gotten have been progression awards and that one PVP where she was the 2* award for top 250.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Double Post error
  • I've had her drop from tokens quite a bit. Just got yet another yellow a few minutes ago from the 4Thor PVP.

I have her fully leveled and covered at 3/5/5 and using her with MHawkeye and MMags to Speed Shot the heck out of PVE.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Has anyone had her drop from a PVP yet? I still need two red covers for her; the only ones I've gotten have been progression awards and that one PVP where she was the 2* award for top 250.
    I got one from a standard token but she doesn't seem to be in random PvP rewards yet.
  • I never use her but I'm curious if Strategic Command has ever disarmed enemy traps since it converts both enemy and friendly special tiles, or do they simply convert to Team-Up tiles but remain active and potentially match in a cascade.

If she can disarm traps then she might have a bit of a buff when dealing with Doom, Daredevil, Fury, Electra, and the new Hand ninjas.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red Panda wrote:
    I never use her but I'm curious if Strategic Command has ever disarmed enemy traps since it converts both enemy and friendly special tiles, or do they simply convert to Team-Up tiles but remain active and potentially match in a cascade.

If she can disarm traps then she might have a bit of a buff when dealing with Doom, Daredevil, Fury, Electra, and the new Hand ninjas.
    I used her a lot last PVE, and she overwrites anything with her Strategic Command, even her very own Sonic Boom CD Tile (very frustrating). I would have hoped that even if she overwrote everyone elses, she at least wouldn't overwrite the very same tile she just created herself a second ago. Always do Sonic Boom AFTER Strategic Command... 2 out of 3 times she overwrote it on me when I forgot my tile was out there until after I clicked on it (curse you 3 turn CD tile).
  • JVReal wrote:
    Red Panda wrote:
    I never use her but I'm curious if Strategic Command has ever disarmed enemy traps since it converts both enemy and friendly special tiles, or do they simply convert to Team-Up tiles but remain active and potentially match in a cascade.

I used her a lot last PVE, and she overwrites anything with her Strategic Command, even her very own Sonic Boom CD Tile (very frustrating). I would have hoped that even if she overwrote everyone elses, she at least wouldn't overwrite the very same tile she just created herself a second ago. Always do Sonic Boom AFTER Strategic Command... 2 out of 3 times she overwrote it on me when I forgot my tile was out there until after I clicked on it (curse you 3 turn CD tile).

Just a heads up: I fought her in lightning rounds & can confirm that Strategic Command doesn't disarm hidden traps, they remain active (my Daredevil Ambush tile remained active and hidden as a team up tile) so she's not a good counter for traps and might actually trigger them in a cascade.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just re-speced her to 4/5/4 (from 3/5/5) during the most recent PVE (Heroic: Oscorp). With her being boosted in Heroics (and therefore many, many nodes with Bullseye) and against the ninja goons, removing the extra defense tile seemed more useful than I previously thought. I often have her paired with a character with a better yellow ability, though, so I could be undervaluing the fewer TU's. Either way, having a character with a better red is probably advisable, so you can destroy the defense tiles if you need to and have a better ability if you don't (for this PVE I have a boosted IM35; against the ninjas I think I had both Area and/or mHawkeye).
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    I don't believe this has been mentioned, but I just noticed the AP drain on black actually occurs when the ability is executed, not when the tile resolves. The text makes this seem like it happens only if the countdown finishes (at least that's how I read it).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax wrote:
    I just re-speced her to 4/5/4 (from 3/5/5) during the most recent PVE (Heroic: Oscorp). With her being boosted in Heroics (and therefore many, many nodes with Bullseye) and against the ninja goons, removing the extra defense tile seemed more useful than I previously thought. I often have her paired with a character with a better yellow ability, though, so I could be undervaluing the fewer TU's. Either way, having a character with a better red is probably advisable, so you can destroy the defense tiles if you need to and have a better ability if you don't (for this PVE I have a boosted IM35; against the ninjas I think I had both Area and/or mHawkeye).

I went 3/5/5 because guess what, Strategic Commands massive TU cascade accelerates me into TU where I can use all those X-Force TU's I have accumulated, I have obliterated teams with just 8 yellow in this heroic.
  • I went 3/5/5 as well due to red not being that great with higher levels and I love the cascades + synergy with MHawkeye + being able to actually use some of the team-ups I have.

Sometimes I think she's actually underrated at the 2* level, but then I see my CStorm sitting there and remember why she's not used as much...

Tho the two of them together have worked nice in the PVE. Lightning Strike removing colored gems and generally increasing the TU saturation followed by a Stategic Command for increased chance of Crits.
  • I am going to try 3-5-5 and see how that works. Is she worth upgrading to lvl 94? I remember reading from somewhere that some people leave her below that...
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    dw316 wrote:
    I am going to try 3-5-5 and see how that works. Is she worth upgrading to lvl 94? I remember reading from somewhere that some people leave her below that...

If you are in the transition stage where you are getting 2*'s, then yes.

OBW
    Daken
    Ares
    Thor
    Torchling
    Captain America
    Captain Marvel
    Hawkeye
    Magneto
    Storm
    Wolvie

These guys are all playable, each with varying degrees of power. OBW will serve you best followed by a solid 2* Daken, Not sure Captain Marvel would be infront of Ares or Thor, but she will allow you to do crazy things.