*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Hence why my hulk is at 130. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Hulk is a great meat shield. I use Steve and Black Panther, so I keep Hulk at a slightly higher level than both of them so that he can tank red and black while I charge up Star-spangled Avenger and Rage of the Panther.

Keeping him at 5/0/5 is probably a good idea for now that you are still at the 2-to-3-star transitioning level, but once you are firmly in 3 star land it's gonna be helpful to have a high-level max cover Hulk.

But yeah, at the 2-star level, OBW is stupidly powerful and you can easily shut down Hulk (or anyone else for that matter). Once you have moved past 2 star you'll find it a bit more difficult to find someone to shut him down as effectively.
  • His Red is complete garbage.

His green is nice, but it shouldn't be the focus of your team; just a bonus if you need some board shake.

His health and his black are the reasons to play him.

And he is REALLY good.

He was my first maxed 3 star. I now have about 19 characters with max covers.

I still regularly use Hulk.

One of the best scarecrows in the game.

And now that sentry is being nerfed, defense will actually matter a little bit now.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulk keeps people from attacking you with Patch and Daken combo because he takes strike tiles and makes major cascades. If you hav Xforce Hulk is a green generating machine that is going to be splattered by sergical strike followed by Xforce.
    As far as Hulks red it might not be great, but in this past PVP when he was buffed I used a lot of LCap/Hood and regularly got 20+ green. Hulk could do 3600 damage plus 300 damage for every green AP. Red might not be great, but it can do some real damage. Just don't have 10 green on the board or he will kill your support characters.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I love Hulk, but he's fallen behind. When buffed, he's still pretty fun to play.

People say his redflag.png is no good, but it's actually a great way to deal with other Hulks. You have to understand that Hulk's powerset is about tanking with him as much as possible to generate enough greentile.png AP for a devastating release at the end of the match. With 14 redtile.png and 30 greentile.png AP, Hulk will one-shot another Hulk and leave enough greentile.png AP for CotS or Sniper Rifle. That will end just about any team. GSBW purpleflag.png is the best way to achieve those high greentile.png AP levels and clear out the green on the board. X-Force blackflag.png also works.

That's how you are supposed to play him, but In the current meta, no one wants to play like that.
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Haven't been on the forums for a while, so don't know if anyone has mentioned this...

Anger damage does not properly take friendly Protect tiles into consideration. Have run into scenario where enemy and I both have protect tiles out there and Anger is triggered. Enemy's team overall took less damage than mine. So it would appear that enemy's tiles do properly protect but friendly tiles don't.
  • I love Hulk, but he's fallen behind. When buffed, he's still pretty fun to play.

People say his redflag.png is no good, but it's actually a great way to deal with other Hulks. You have to understand that Hulk's powerset is about tanking with him as much as possible to generate enough greentile.png AP for a devastating release at the end of the match. With 14 redtile.png and 30 greentile.png AP, Hulk will one-shot another Hulk and leave enough greentile.png AP for CotS or Sniper Rifle. That will end just about any team. GSBW purpleflag.png is the best way to achieve those high greentile.png AP levels and clear out the green on the board. X-Force blackflag.png also works.

That's how you are supposed to play him, but In the current meta, no one wants to play like that.

I know Anger might shorten this, but 14 red and 30 green is nominally 15 turns. That's too long for a shield hop match to go. Also, if you CtS twice on hulk for 30 greentile.pnggreentile.png that's 8,800 damage. Then, if he's still alive you can finish him with the Smash without wasting the 10 green. It's the kill 10 greentile.png for no benefit that makes Smash not great.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    What if Anger put down a Sentry-like yellowflag.pngstrike.png instead? How is is that Anger generates golf claps? When have you ever seen Hulk clap as a result of getting angry? Take the Ed Norton movie, for example. He's FULLY aware that he needs to clap in order to put out the flames. He doesn't do so because he's angry. *When* he's angry, he hits for more damage.

TBH, 3* Ms Marvel's black and red generation would even make more sense for Hulk.

I'm an expired equine flagellation expert on this subject, but seriously. Anger is as accurate an ability as Dodge was for Hawkeye. Clearly, that needed to be a Spider-Sense ability instead.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Outside of being boosted, Hulks Health is nothing to even be bothered with. He will still get dropped by a Sentry in 3 turns roughly. Anger is limiting as it only triggers past a damage threshold and if he's being hit that hard, he's most likely taking some serious pain before the end of the match. Red could be decent if given a minor tweak. All I see is that X-Force can typically drop him in 2-3 hits without a care for his anger. Did I mention howI much anger sucks as it only puts down 1 tile at a time? I didn't, well it sucks. Devil Dino actually fills his intended purpose much better than he ever did.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Lerysh wrote:
    With 14 redtile.png and 30 greentile.png AP, Hulk will one-shot another Hulk and leave enough greentile.png AP for CotS or Sniper Rifle. That will end just about any team. GSBW purpleflag.png is the best way to achieve those high greentile.png AP levels and clear out the green on the board. X-Force blackflag.png also works.

I know Anger might shorten this, but 14 red and 30 green is nominally 15 turns. That's too long for a shield hop match to go. Also, if you CtS twice on hulk for 30 greentile.pnggreentile.png that's 8,800 damage. Then, if he's still alive you can finish him with the Smash without wasting the 10 green. It's the kill 10 greentile.png for no benefit that makes Smash not great.
    Absolutely. If it didn't consume 10 greentile.png AP, Smash could do up to 13K, which isn't crazy in the current meta. On another note, why is shield hopping used as the standard for every character all the time? The OP may not be interested in that.
  • Professor MPQ: Ok class, today I want you to invent a way to distinguish MPQ characters and then sort them by the characteristics you have developed.

Student 1: I separated characters by how fun they are to play. I have 15 characters in my Top Tier.

Professor MPQ: FAIL! GET THE TINYKITTY OUT OF MY CLASSROOM!

Student 2: I separated my characters into groups of "New" and "Old". Since I like an influx of new characters, I put Beast, Mystique, and Doctor Octopus into my Top Tier.

Professor MPQ: GREAT CAESARS GHOST, YOU MUST BE SOME KIND OF MORON. GET THE TINYKITTY OUT OF MY CLASSROOM!

Student 3: I am sorry professor. I was unaware that there were more than 4 characters in the game. I have only one Tier, and it contains Sentry, Hood, Daken, and X-Force.

Professor MPQ: I....I don't know what to say. This is the reason I started teaching to begin with. You.....you pass. Welcome to the Forums.

The end.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll throw in my $.02 - the Hulk was my first character over 100. I like him, overall, he's a good character and a perfectly acceptable transition character. That being said, Smash is very mediocre - it's too expensive for all its drawbacks and the damage it does. Thunderous Clap isn't bad, particularly when you get a bit more than the minimum to cast it (I love double-tapping for 20, it does a hell of a lot of damage and seriously shakes up the board,) it's not the best green out there, but it may be the best green you have access to (for the longest time this was true for me.)

That being said, Smash can be useful if it happens to be the only red you have on your team at the moment, so I wouldn't ignore it entirely. There's no reason not to put covers in it if you get red hulk covers - you can always keep the Hulk's level lower to be closer to the rest of your characters. I definitely wouldn't put smash past 3 covers, though - you won't use it that often.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Hulk red is the last power I usually use in a fight. A finisher. Fatality.

I found a great combo of Hulk smash followed after xForce surgical strike while playing against other characters dominating green. Surgical strike removes all green from the board, and gives you certainty to unleash the hulk fury without self damaging the team. Further more because my team composition doesn't involve more red using characters it allows me to stack the red AP for that final pound.
  • hi guys,

is it a bug?
    Does 30% of the damage to allies if there are more than 10 Green tiles on the board

it says 30% damage... that means, you should never die since it's a percentage of your health?
    existing health or total health?

i used it as my last move... i had only about 500 HP left... there were more than 10 green tiles on the board...
    since it's 30% damage, how did I die?

Thanks.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    gnilow wrote:
    hi guys,

is it a bug?
    Does 30% of the damage to allies if there are more than 10 Green tiles on the board

it says 30% damage... that means, you should never die since it's a percentage of your health?
    existing health or total health?

i used it as my last move... i had only about 500 HP left... there were more than 10 green tiles on the board...
    since it's 30% damage, how did I die?

Thanks.

its 30% of the damage that smash does when it hits, not of their HP.
  • Ouch.... thanks.
  • In all honesty, I am sick and tired of green hulk covers. Sure, it's a cool ability but ****?!? I currently have a 5/1/1 Hulk and have had at least 12 thunderous claps. If I score a hulk from a token its green, get one as a reward its green. Am I the only one? Seriously, in my alliance somebody else has the same build Hulk as me, so I know for a fact that you guys over give away thunderous clap. I have yet to max out a 3* character and have been playing since preview edition and dumped more than a hundred dollars into this game. ****!!??!! Is it really just me being a rage-quit gamer or is this unfair?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's because green is the color handed out in the Hulk PvE, so it's very easy to get. This is what, the fifth time it runs? So just from the PvE alone you could have a 5/0/0 Hulk...
    But yes, at the very least the daily reward cover for day 90 could have been Black or Red...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    What I found from the avengers PPP tourney is that even at 249, Hulk's green is not OP, at least to 3* scale. While he can, on taking damage, accumulate a lot of green, it strikes me as balanced.

I really wish his green did more base damage.
  • same thing had to sell green hulk this and last time debated making a second hulk but need roster slot.