What level equivalent to kill hammer/maggia guys?

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I know it's early out in the game and my characters are not buff...

But sometimes the game says the hammer guys are "normal" ie: level 17, 18, 19 snipers/grendaiers, but they complete beat the snot out of my team.

I've read tips on not blowing up the color to anticipate tiles being turned, but it doesn't always work.

Also my team consists of 17 -20 ish characters. Is it normal for me to get beaten senseless or am I possibly missing something pretty large?

I've got a bagman, but he's only 1/1/1 and level 7..so not really that useful.

Comments

• Not all henchman are equally strong. The Muscle type henchman (Tommy Gun + Threaten) are arguably stronger than most heroes (400 damage worth of strike tiles is insane). The Rocket/Flamethrower guys do some serious damage and you can't always hit their countdown tiles on town. Snipers you have to leave their CD tile alone for as long as possible because they it costs them 0 AP to put a new one up and they will do so the moment you destroy their CD tile, though of course sometimes when you do that the enemy hero just turn the tile you need away and then you'd be screwed.
  • Thanks for the response!

Any tips on defeating them? Or do I just need to find bulkier heroes?
  • any hero that has tile destroying capabilities are good. hawkeye, storm, widow...etc....hawkeye has a good cheap red skill that destroys that can be useful.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    The difficulty estimates are basically nonsense. They're based on the level difference between you and the enemies, but some high level enemies are easy to kill and some relatively low level ones can be a pain in the ****. It often depends a lot on how good your team is at getting countdown tiles off the board.

Suggestion: kill Lieutenants first, because they can heal the enemy team with their yellow tiles.
  • You need to get all the ISO reward and level up ironman and Storm first then they will be easy to beat.
  • It depends how much boosts you are using. When I was lvl 30, I easily kill lvl 50 hammer/maggia guys with all AP and Purple/Blue AP boost, using **Storm and **Magneto. With one purple match, Magneto can Polarity shift, letting Storm use Wind Storm. Because you also start with 6 blue AP, you can likely get another Wind Storm soon, especially if you can Lightning Storm. If you use **Daken or **Wolverine as your 3rd, have them a few levels ahead and Storm only matches Blue, making her very safe.
  • hrm okay - I think I've been hoarding my boosts too much. They can't cap out more than 10 can they?
  • Ronfar
    Options
    noobpotato wrote:
    hrm okay - I think I've been hoarding my boosts too much. They can't cap out more than 10 can they?

Boosts do cap at 10. And having 10 of a type of boost won't stop the game from randomly deciding to give you that kind of boost at the end of a battle, either. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What characters are you using?

Storm and widow are fantastic, storm for her board control/destruction and widow for her stun and ability to steal AP to power herself and storm. If you stun an opponent with widow their counters are also stunned.

Iron man is a good third wheel as he can burn yellow and any spare red.
  • Generally mod Storm(18) , mod Widow (29) , and Iron Man (23?).

I usually can complete a level, it just hurts a lot. Generally it's a piece of cake if I can get stun locks going - there are just instances where I can't get to certain grenades in time or sniper and then get extremely punished. I can generally still complete a level, but may have to use heals.
  • Ronfar
    Options
    noobpotato wrote:
    Generally mod Storm(18) , mod Widow (29) , and Iron Man (23?).

I usually can complete a level, it just hurts a lot. Generally it's a piece of cake if I can get stun locks going - there are just instances where I can't get to certain grenades in time or sniper and then get extremely punished. I can generally still complete a level, but may have to use heals.

Yeah, that's pretty much normal.

You're using what's pretty much the standard new player team, and it does work pretty well most of the time, but levels that only have minions are best handled with a slightly different team than levels that include both minions and villains. Storm's green and sometimes her red can shake up a board and help you get rid of countdown tiles, and you've already seen that Modern Black Widow's stun is one of the best abilities in the game, but although Iron Man model 35 is reasonable at fighting villains, he doesn't have any skills that will clear tiles for you. Classic Hawkeye and Juggernaut are other relatively easy to get characters that are pretty good at making countdown tiles go away; you may want to try one of them as a third team member at some point.
  • orions
    orions Posts: 9
    Options
    My go-to team for fighting all the countdown-laying guys was Modern Storm, Classic Hawkeye and Modern Widow. I would sometimes switch the Widow for Bag-Man (yes!), as he has lots of board control capability. Specifically in all the missions where there were 2 or 3 minions of the same type and stunning one of them with widow's sting wouldn't make me safe, I'd use Bag man.