*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fighting a seed team in the Real McCoy tournament, I figured what the heck, I'm not exactly in danger of losing the fight, let's throw out an MB. It lands on a tile with only one other blue in the area, but at the top edge of the screen. The turn before it resolves, I make a match below it so it drops down and now all four tiles can resolve. This is basically the best possible way for Mutagenic Breakthrough to land.

Result: The countdown's new position is diagonal to a team-up tile, which can't be converted, so I only get three special tiles instead of four. When the countdown disappears, a blue tile falls into the vacated space above it, instantly matching the two strike tiles created on that row. The next turn, the AI matches the remaining attack tile. Net effect: I pay 8 AP for a free blue match (which triggered Espionage, hooray?) and one turn of a 44 power Attack tile. Best power ever.
  • Fighting a seed team in the Real McCoy tournament, I figured what the heck, I'm not exactly in danger of losing the fight, let's throw out an MB. It lands on a tile with only one other blue in the area, but at the top edge of the screen. The turn before it resolves, I make a match below it so it drops down and now all four tiles can resolve. This is basically the best possible way for Mutagenic Breakthrough to land.

Result: The countdown's new position is diagonal to a team-up tile, which can't be converted, so I only get three special tiles instead of four. When the countdown disappears, a blue tile falls into the vacated space above it, instantly matching the two strike tiles created on that row. The next turn, the AI matches the remaining attack tile. Net effect: I pay 8 AP for a free blue match (which triggered Espionage, hooray?) and one turn of a 44 power Attack tile. Best power ever.

It sort of makes you wonder about the Demiurge QA department... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey now, I know it's fun to make light of Beast and how weak he is, but credit must be given where it's due: Beast just won me a game that I was about to lose.

I was facing a team of Beast, maxed Patch and maxed Steve Rogers. I managed to kill Cap, but not before my guys got the bad end of a returning Star-Spangled Avenger shield. I only needed a couple matches more before I had enough to unleash my powers to kill Patch in one turn. I had been mildly successful at denying Patch greenflag.png but then the AI gets one of its patented **** cascades gathering a crapton of Green. That was it, then. Next turn Patch would Berserker Rage me killing one of my guys with it and the other with match damage (my Beast was long-dead since it's not levelled up). Without hope, I made a random match and passed the turn. Then opponent's Beast used Animal Inside (for a whooping 236 damage) instead letting Patch use BR! Next turn, I killed Patch and no longer after that, won the game.

And that, my friends, is how (the opponent's) Beast won me a game! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Do I get a medal? Do I?

It was a fluke, honestly, I just did not have any better outlets for blue while horsing around under 700 pts, so what the heck, threw Mutagenic out and forgot about it.
    Cue a MIRACLE HAPPENING.
    I feel blessed.

nVo9kRzl.png

HXIbpwn.png

Yes, yes, Hank, I'm as surprised as you are. High-five!
  • that facial expression, brilliant
  • The first and only time I used Beast's blue, the countdown timer set off, and the blue tiles immediately matched themselves out.

That's my Beast story.

Beast sucks.
  • I just found proof that the AI cheats, even though I was a nonbeliever for a long time. I was playing Real McCoy. First game:

AI casts Mutangenic Breakthrough
    Mutagenic Breakthrough creates 4 blue special tiles

This should be enough proof for anyone but I got more. Second game:

AI casts Mutagenic Breakthrough
    The blue tiles created formed a blue match 5 which lead to a huge cascade.

That's two consecutive games where Mutagenic Breakthrough ended up doing something useful and I don't see how there can possibly be any explanation other than cheating.
  • locked wrote:
    HXIbpwn.png

Yes, yes, Hank, I'm as surprised as you are. High-five!

hahaha, i was just complaining to my alliance how worthless this power is.

this made me laugh, thank you!
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    The worst thing about Beast is his signature power, blue Mutagen Breakthrough, has a random chance to be totally worthless and a waste of AP spent.

On numerous occasions, when I activated Mutagen Breakthrough, the randomly selected blue countdown tile was
    (1) In a corner and/or
    (2) Surrounded by tiles (like team-up) that can not be converted into a special tile after the countdown proc and/or
    (3) Too close to other blue tiles that make a cascade after the countdown procs.

The easiest fix for Beast is allow the player choose the blue tile for Mutagen Breakthrough. This change is minor but it would change Beast into a viable character. Currently, he rides the bench because he is too risky.

Note: Colossus gets to choose his yellow tile for Immovable Object. Beast has X-Men seniority therefore he should have this minor benefit.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until they fix his blue, I vote for his best build to be 3/5/5, the reason is, you have a better chance of doing max damage and get max heal and shield with the CD tile Mutagenic Breakthourgh creates then you do after the skill resolves, so you may as well have that CD timer as long as possible, because it's more useful at that point.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Until they fix his blue, I vote for his best build to be 3/5/5, the reason is, you have a better chance of doing max damage and get max heal and shield with the CD tile Mutagenic Breakthourgh creates then you do after the skill resolves, so you may as well have that CD timer as long as possible, because it's more useful at that point.
    Genius. Still not going to run Beast, ever, and hoping his yellow/green skills are never used by my def team in his event as well.
  • Fixing his blue doesn't do much. He goes straight in the IW pile, where it's a complete rework or nothing
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Healing is stupid in general now, and his heal is already worse than gold bagman's which is another easy 3 cover power
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    So it seems that 4* Thor's blue charge tiles don't count as special tiles for Beast's Animal Inside.

God, Beast sucks.
  • Beast is a trash bag. We can debate his uses all day but at the end 2* chars still blow him away.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    3uphoria wrote:
    Beast is a trash bag. We can debate his uses all day but at the end 2* chars still blow him away.
    500 ISO. *drops mic*
  • I think I found a bug in the 'Luck Be A Lady' sub, when I go into Shifting Landscape it gives me the message: BEAST NEEDED! That couldn't possibly be correct
  • I wiped on one of the Beast essential nodes. Played a few other nodes, came back to play that one for some more points. Patch an Daken were healed up, Beast was still KO. I couldn't bring myself to spend a health pack on him to get those points.

True, I could've healed him and grinded the node a few times. But I just couldn't do it. Using a health pack on Beast just seems so.... dirty.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    So the Beast posts a new topic on the forum:

"My patience is gone, I am so underpowered that players don't keep me in their rosters, don't play with me and don't invest any ISO in leveling me to 166. Even if they get me from a token, they just toss me out and then post a flame-post on the forum. I am so going to rage-quit now!"

He gets following reputation points:
    +1 from Doc Ock "I feel you..."
    +1 from Bagman "yeah the devs don't care about us characters!"
    +1 from Invisible Woman "...yeah and what about us vets! I've been raising this issue many times, the devs are just blind to see me!"
    +1 from Ragnarok "When I started it was different..."
    +1 from Daredevil " :. .. .: . :: . .: . .. :."
    +1 from Iron Man "At least I can afford boosts, right?"
    -1 from XForce "I've been there, didn't care then, don't care now, so should you, tinykitties"
    +1 from Spiderman "...snif..."
    -1 from Sentry "Boo hoo ... kaboom!"
    -1 from Loki "It's just an illusion, my brother, just an illusion... You're as powerful as I am, you just see wrong reality, sir!"
    +1 from She-Hulk "We want JUSTICE!"
    -1 from Deadpool "And you are.. who..?"
    -1 from anonymous123 "I AM GROOT!"

[moderator] NickFury - has locked the thread
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    I know I'm going to hell (and it doesn't actually make sense) but the brail got a smile from me