Widow Maker

Comments

• @ jozier. Really? You were in my bracket..I def saw you top 4 with 5+ min left. Were you just attacking anything you saw? Or did your team kinda suck? Also..did you play mostly with which widow? I swear I personally lost at min 300 pts in the last 10 min. I was just using boosts to het wins at a pace of about 1 win every 90-120 sec. Including enemy select time (I am.usually quite picky who I fight..trying to het ppl I think are not playing or ppl with super weak teams or worth a ton)

I saw you too. You and I were trading 2/3 a few times until I dropped completely in the last 5 minutes. And I was using boosts for the last 5 minutes just for fast battles. Only attacking teams with >20 points in my matchmaking, but I could barely find any.

I was rocking an 85 Thor, 85 Wolvie and ~70 Black Widow (I never touched MW or BWGS the entire tournament).
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    I barely got tagged towards the end compared to other tourneys but I had one person lines up to attack if someone with a low value hit me as the target was paying out 29 points which is tough to find when you are at 580 points.

10 min later I go and hit the person and instead of 29 points I got 16. Poor soul must have gotten mauled in that 10 min period.
  • I was feeling like i should try to get 4th, for the ironman 40. I have no heroes that make a decent use of yellow color in my roster.

The last 30 minutes i got attacked quite a lot, and it felt like i could not guarantee the im40 3 covers reward, so i decided that the wolverine 3 cover reward would be better for me.

I finished 24, my wolverine being 3/3/5 now, just needing 2 more greens. I wonder if he is usable before i will get the remaining 2 green covers.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    One other thing for everyone saying they got tiny kittied. Every big score generally got this treatment. I was attacking non stop and got retaliated fairly minimally and I went from 620 to close at 540 but everyone got nailed. At 620 I was in 8th place. At the end with 540 I got top 4 so it's not like you are specifically different.

Another point is if your team isn't very scary and you have a lot of points you are a sitting duck. One person with 680 points had a 10 modern bw, a 28 punisher and 70 Wiolvie. He was easy pickings for 36 points.
  • Got chopped to pieces but crawled back furiously using a new 69 Ragnarok (4/3) to a Top 20 finish.

Got 125 HP due to the superflues IM40 cover. 540 HP in the balance. Gonna get that 5th Thunderclap next week at this ace. Iso is a more pressing concern now.
    Booo-ragly...BOOO. BOOOOOOOOOO!!
    jozier wrote:
    @ jozier. Really? You were in my bracket..I def saw you top 4 with 5+ min left. Were you just attacking anything you saw? Or did your team kinda suck? Also..did you play mostly with which widow? I swear I personally lost at min 300 pts in the last 10 min. I was just using boosts to het wins at a pace of about 1 win every 90-120 sec. Including enemy select time (I am.usually quite picky who I fight..trying to het ppl I think are not playing or ppl with super weak teams or worth a ton)

I saw you too. You and I were trading 2/3 a few times until I dropped completely in the last 5 minutes. And I was using boosts for the last 5 minutes just for fast battles. Only attacking teams with >20 points in my matchmaking, but I could barely find any.

I was rocking an 85 Thor, 85 Wolvie and ~70 Black Widow (I never touched MW or BWGS the entire tournament).

I was running a lvl 30 4/3/5 (not that anybody knew) grey suit and 84 thor (I refuse fo conform) and an 85 wolverine (I..conformed). Wonder if that had anything to do with it (the widow choice). Probably not..but it would be interesting to know. Also, I got 3 wins in a 2 min span right at the end...I am sure that helped. Not sure what the point gap was but it is entirely possible you were only 20 points out by getting that top 50 vs top 4.

Regardless, very irritating system as is. Hopefully the fix comes on Monday/Tuesday. I'd hate a second lightning round being ruined by the entirety of it being hood scoring.
  • One other thing for everyone saying they got tiny kittied. Every big score generally got this treatment. I was attacking non stop and got retaliated fairly minimally and I went from 620 to close at 540 but everyone got nailed. At 620 I was in 8th place. At the end with 540 I got top 4 so it's not like you are specifically different.

Another point is if your team isn't very scary and you have a lot of points you are a sitting duck. One person with 680 points had a 10 modern bw, a 28 punisher and 70 Wiolvie. He was easy pickings for 36 points.

You're right but I don't think many on here think they are the only ones this is happening to.

I think most are just venting together and hoping for some long awaited changes.

Just because this tiny kitty thing is happening to everyone doesn't make it balanced and either way it's no fun for almost everyone.
  • Personally I think boosts are a big part of the problem.
    With boosts strength of the team doesn't really matter, so in the last five minutes everybody goes berserk and attacks everyone worth big points, even if they have far superior teams.
    Having the AI play defense is already a huuuge handicap, they should just remove boosts from PVP IMHO.
    Without boosts you'd have to pick your targets very carefully. Also you'd have to actually pay attention while playing superior teams instead of just facerolling the screen, which translates in longer matches, which translates in less madness at the end of a tourney.
    With boosts strength of the team doesn't really matter, so in the last five minutes everybody goes berserk and attacks everyone worth big points, even if they have far superior teams.
    Having the AI play defense is already a huuuge handicap, they should just remove boosts from PVP IMHO.
    Without boosts you'd have to pick your targets very carefully. Also you'd have to actually pay attention while playing superior teams instead of just facerolling the screen, which translates in longer matches, which translates in less madness at the end of a tourney.
    At the same time we don't want the people at the very top to be completely undefeatable. If they become too difficult, tedious, or costly to defeat then they'll just sit at the top event after event.
  • Got chopped to pieces but crawled back furiously using a new 69 Ragnarok (4/3) to a Top 20 finish.

Got 125 HP due to the superflues IM40 cover. 540 HP in the balance. Gonna get that 5th Thunderclap next week at this ace. Iso is a more pressing concern now.
    jozier wrote:
    @ jozier. Really? You were in my bracket..I def saw you top 4 with 5+ min left. Were you just attacking anything you saw? Or did your team kinda suck? Also..did you play mostly with which widow? I swear I personally lost at min 300 pts in the last 10 min. I was just using boosts to het wins at a pace of about 1 win every 90-120 sec. Including enemy select time (I am.usually quite picky who I fight..trying to het ppl I think are not playing or ppl with super weak teams or worth a ton)

I was running a lvl 30 4/3/5 (not that anybody knew) grey suit and 84 thor (I refuse fo conform) and an 85 wolverine (I..conformed). Wonder if that had anything to do with it (the widow choice). Probably not..but it would be interesting to know. Also, I got 3 wins in a 2 min span right at the end...I am sure that helped. Not sure what the point gap was but it is entirely possible you were only 20 points out by getting that top 50 vs top 4.

Regardless, very irritating system as is. Hopefully the fix comes on Monday/Tuesday. I'd hate a second lightning round being ruined by the entirety of it being hood scoring.

I pulled 2 Rags in a row yesterday (standard token from Sudan, heroic token daily reward -- both red covers).

I no longer am going to be fake thundergod roadkill.

I'm really into Magneto more (I have a 102; 2/3/5) but he's too slow for the broken PvP system we're playing. In any case, I wholly deserve the boos. Yay me.

It's not just boosts. It's because everyone can win decisively (full health and quickly) so you really aren't intimidated by anybody, so of course you look for the guy with the highest score and then you get these crazy swings in points. In general the guy with the highest point is still likely fielding the most powerful team, but nobody really cares because the slightly more powerful team gives you 30 rating points so you take that over the slightly weaker team that gives you 15 points, because you know you can't win 2 games in the same time to beat the guy worth 30 points. Imagine if there are no healing skills, then you'd actually have to worry about how to manage your heal packs and then the slightly stronger team may give you pause if you're on your last heal pack because now you're actually looking at a question of whether you can win at all or not.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    New to the tourneys (just started with these two Widow Makers) but got 5 Wolverine covers out of it.

One question I can't find the answer to... If I had chosen to keep fighting, would I have gotten IM40 as well as the 3 Wolverine covers? I assume that I would've but just sat on my hands making sure I didn't drop out of the top 50 ( or fall in to the top 20... I wasn't getting touched at the end, but kept going up because everyone else was getting attacked.)
  • Wobby wrote:
    New to the tourneys (just started with these two Widow Makers) but got 5 Wolverine covers out of it.

One question I can't find the answer to... If I had chosen to keep fighting, would I have gotten IM40 as well as the 3 Wolverine covers? I assume that I would've but just sat on my hands making sure I didn't drop out of the top 50 ( or fall in to the top 20... I wasn't getting touched at the end, but kept going up because everyone else was getting attacked.)

No. The first place winner gets the rewards for the first place finisher and the next bracket. And that's it. Every other bracket only gets the listed awards.
  • Oh man that was brutal. I was attacked so many times at the end, it seemed like everybody had lined me up lol. Fortunately still landed top 4.
    The annoying thing is that the leader of my bracked was not hit once in the final hour. He didn't even gain points, just stood there, probably he was not even playing. Even if he had the most badass team ever, what's the probability of that happening???
    I came so close so many times, even had the lead at one point, only to be knocked down again and again and again. Whatever... no bag lady for me, still got IM40 covers. icon_cool.gif

Hey psycho, was that you in my bracket? Yeah I took 1st without really trying. I got to abt 420 the other day to collect the hero points and near the end of work today before I went home the scores were hovering around 650-700 so I decided to make a brief push after I saw the leaders take a beating. Could not really play last few hours and jumped in last 10 min for a few quick matches and only ended about 745ish.

Hmm that's actually an interesting idea. Devs should do a tourney with no boosts to see how it pans out. boosts do change everything and pretty much guarantees you the win
  • I somehow ended up #1. Don't ask me how. I got lucky. I fought my way up to #1 in the last hour or so from around #300 easily... but once I hit 700 pts the hits started coming, and they didn't stop. As everyone else says, it's ridiculous, and I am serious that I ended up #1 by pure luck. I could've ended up in #8 or worse just as easily -- that's where I got kicked down to with 5 minutes left.

And while I know that the devs couldn't fix this -- at the very least Apple doesn't allow any releases during the last week and a half around Christmas and New Years -- it's also a problem of their own creation. Someone committed code that broke PvP right before the Holidays, and that should never have made it in or through QA. At the very least an apology to the player base is due.
  • doneskis wrote:
    Hmm that's actually an interesting idea. Devs should do a tourney with no boosts to see how it pans out. boosts do change everything and pretty much guarantees you the win

Please do. High level teams will clean up. I can run my L115 Rags, L141 Spidey, L110 Mags with no boosts, win every match, and end up full health. For this tournament I was running Rags/Spidey/L105 BWGS (started out at 85). I did have to go heal in Prologue every few rounds simply because most matches were over before I could get enough yellow.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I somehow ended up #1. Don't ask me how. I got lucky.

Well I guess someguy was right, this was your tournament icon_cool.gif

jozier wrote:

I pulled 2 Rags in a row yesterday (standard token from Sudan, heroic token daily reward -- both red covers).

I no longer am going to be fake thundergod roadkill.

I'm really into Magneto more (I have a 102; 2/3/5) but he's too slow for the broken PvP system we're playing. In any case, I wholly deserve the boos. Yay me.

Boooo lol.

Yea, the fact that so many feel they "have to" use rag is reason enough imo for a nerf/massive system wide.buff sans rag. You should never feel required to use someone to be relevant. It's not entirely true, him being required, but if enough ppl think so then it becomes true enough. He certainly is easier to do well with than anybody else though.

I do agree; I have been avoiding my magneto because he needs boosts to do damage fast enough, and needs someone else to be purple to help him actually do damage while matching. Would have loved for punisher to be a little better.

@others: boosts are a necessary evil. What is needed, is for there to be a system where you get less points when you use a boost and/or ppl lose fewer points when beaten by someone using a boost. You also don't lose nearly.as.many points for a loss and you lose 0 points when someone loses to you once and then beats you on a second or third try.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I somehow ended up #1. Don't ask me how. I got lucky. I fought my way up to #1 in the last hour or so from around #300 easily... but once I hit 700 pts the hits started coming, and they didn't stop. As everyone else says, it's ridiculous, and I am serious that I ended up #1 by pure luck. I could've ended up in #8 or worse just as easily -- that's where I got kicked down to with 5 minutes left.

And while I know that the devs couldn't fix this -- at the very least Apple doesn't allow any releases during the last week and a half around Christmas and New Years -- it's also a problem of their own creation. Someone committed code that broke PvP right before the Holidays, and that should never have made it in or through QA. At the very least an apology to the player base is due.

We were in the same bracket... I'm pretty surprised you ended up #1 based on the last time i checked the rankings... Everyone else must have been beaten to hell.
  • soloL27 wrote:
    We were in the same bracket... I'm pretty surprised you ended up #1 based on the last time i checked the rankings... Everyone else must have been beaten to hell.

Yeah. I ended up at around 630, #2 was at just under 590. Which surprised me since when I went into the match that made me #1 the current #1 was in the upper 600s.

Absolute luck.

Got my Yellow Baglady, which is all I wanted.