** Storm (Classic) ** [PRE 2013-12]

[anchor=storm2]Storm (Classic)[/anchor]
2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
At Max Level: HP: 2670 Tile damage: 39/11/45/9/50/10
    Lightning Storm - Green 12 AP
    Ororo shatters the air with a volley of lightning, destroying 2 tiles plus one for every two Green AP her team has, dealing damage and generating AP.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Shatters 1 more tile. Level 3: Shatters 1 more tile. Level 4: Shatters 2 more tiles. Level 5: Shatters 1 tile for every Green AP.
      Wind Storm - Blue 11 AP
      Storm creates a whirling tempest, damaging the enemy team for 125 and stunning the target for 2 turns.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: 156 damage. Level 3: Stuns target for 3 turns. Level 4: 188 damage. Level 5: Stuns target for 4 turns.
      Max Level: 1670 damage
        Raging Tempest - Yellow Passive
        (PASSIVE) Storm surrounds her team with a whirling tempest that unleashes fury when provoked. If a team member is damaged for 20% of their max health, it deals 19 damage to all enemies. If every team member is below 50% health, damage increases to 125.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: 23 base damage. 150 damage if team below 50% health. Level 3: 27 base damage. 175 damage if team below 50% health. Level 4: 30 base damage. 200 damage if team below 50% health. Level 5: 34 base damage. 225 damage if team below 50% health.
        Max Level: Unknown base damage. Unknown damage if team below 50% health

Old Abilities:
          Elemental Shield - Yellow Passive
          (PASSIVE) Any time a teammate takes > 20% of their health in direct damage, Storm invokes a wall of elements. It damages the enemy team for 125 and generates 4 Red AP.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: 156 damage. Level 3: Generates 5 Red AP. Level 4: 188 damage. Level 5: Generates 6 Red AP.
          Max Level: 1670 damage, generates 6 Red AP

Original Post:

"Storm vs Storm - Raging Tempest chain reaction"

So I was using Storm Classic in my team against an opponent who also had Storm Classic in their team. Normally in these situations I try to take out my opponents Storm first to minimize the chance of triggering their Raging Tempest ability (which triggers when "an ally is damaged for 20% of their max health". Unfortunately this time I wasn't paying attention and try to take out my opponents Black Widow first and I inadvertently triggered a massive critical that in turn triggered my opponents Raging Tempest. No big deal except this, in turn, triggered my Storm's Raging Tempest. Ok, that's kind of cool except this in turn triggered my opponent's Raging Tempest, which, in turn...well I think you get the point. This went back and forth until two of my characters were dead (including my storm) and my opponent was down one character as well. Unfortunately since all this happened within the first few opening moves, I was suddenly at a huge disadvantage as I had only one, severely damaged character left against two much healthier opponents (I can only assume my opponents Raging Tempest was of a higher level than my and thus did more damage each time).

Regardless I'm guessing this power isn't supposed to chain react like this time after time after time? Maybe once or twice would be cool but 4 times is a bit much. icon_razz.gif

Edit: I just noticed there is a related bug report (here: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21) however that player is stating that his opponent isn't being damaged by his Raging Tempest; this wasn't the case for me, I clearly damaged my opponent (and, in fact killed one of their characters) but rather that the chain reaction itself seems a bit out of place and is possibly a bug.
          Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• This is slightly annoying and happened to me as well. It actually made me win since it took out all but 1 of each of our characters and I was primed with a repulsor blast to finish it off, but still feels like a lame way to win/lose. Limit it to 1 chain reaction is probably better.
          • This just happened to me again except after my Storm was killed, my opponent's power proc'd 5 additional times in a row, killing both my other characters that had 1900+ & 2500+ HP. This situation really needs a fix because its quite frankly rediculous.
          • Sometimes I target the wrong one and dunt start with the other storm. Then...it is a massacre....
          • ArchJojo wrote:
            Sometimes I target the wrong one and dunt start with the other storm. Then...it is a massacre....

That's exactly what happened to me.

For anyone that doesn't understand, here is why it is a horrible gameplay mechanic and needs to be fixed:

Storm's Raging Tempest ability attacks all opponents for 300-500 damage anytime one of her teammates is hit with a single attack that does damage equivalent to 20% or more of their max health. (For the average hp character that means an attack that does 200-500 damage or more on most characters, will proc this counter-attack. Attacks hitting for 200-500 or more are pretty common, I think we'd all agree). So far so good and I love this ability. The issue arises when you have two Storms facing off. As soon as someone does 20% damage to another character, the Raging Tempest chain reaction begins (assuming both Storms are still alive and not stunned). The storms go back and forth proc'ing Raging Tempest and hitting each other's teams for 300-500 points each, which in turn triggers the other Storm's Raging Tempest ability which then hits the other team for 300-500 points and back and forth they go until one of the Storms dies.

If you have put any amount of levels into your Storm, you can safely assume this will happen at least 3 times (back and forth) until one Storm dies. In my case, this was my Storm (my opponents Storm had 20hp left, doh!). You'd think the insanity was over, after all your characters all just took 900-1500+ damage, each, in a matter of seconds, right? Nope. Because you see, each time your Storm used Raging Tempest against all three opponents, you have a chance of hitting each opponent for that magical 20% damage, which means, you can queue up three (3!) Tempest Storms from your opponents Storm. What does that mean in the real world?

It means that after the Storm v Storm battle that already killed my Storm and hit my Iron Man & Cpt America for close to 1200 damage, my opponent's Storm still had seven (7!!!!!) Raging Storms queued up. After 4-5 more Raging Storms, in a row, my team was dead. All of this happened within seconds.

The fixes that need to happen to put this madness in check:
            - Rising Storm should only queue up the one attack per turn no matter how many characters are hit for 20% in that turn.
            - Rising Storm should not be able to trigger an opponents Rising Storm (or at the very least, it should trigger it but then not get Triggered back itself by the opponents Rising Storm).

As it is, the ability is way to OP in the craziest possible way. icon_razz.gif
          • These chain reactions only rarely happen - to stop it happening just make sure you either kill the other Storm first, or just don't take Classic Storm into a fight against Classic Storm. I don't think the ability needs to be changed, it would be sad to never witness one of these mad chain reactions again!
          • Hogunner - not sure why you think this needs to be fixed? If you rush in and attack the wrong person, triggering off that sort of chain reaction, you can only really have yourself to blame! I'm terrible for it, hit wrong person, next thing you know all hell has broken loose.
          • The Ladder wrote:
            Hogunner - not sure why you think this needs to be fixed? If you rush in and attack the wrong person, triggering off that sort of chain reaction, you can only really have yourself to blame! I'm terrible for it, hit wrong person, next thing you know all hell has broken loose.

You don't have to hit the wrong person; if you fail to take Storm down before one of your opponents hits you for 20%, it starts the chain which is pretty easy to do if you're running your "B" team. I always go for Storm first if I'm using my Storm unless I'm completely distracted; that's not a sure-fire way to avoid it. Not using Storm against Storm is, but why should I let my opponent do that to me?
            Humphrey wrote:
            These chain reactions only rarely happen - to stop it happening just make sure you either kill the other Storm first, or just don't take Classic Storm into a fight against Classic Storm. I don't think the ability needs to be changed, it would be sad to never witness one of these mad chain reactions again!

I don't mean any offense but saying something like "these chain reactions only rarely happen" is a pretty useless statement as you have no idea how often this happens to others. I'm glad it appears to only happen rarely for you and that you are ok with that, but having a unique game mechanic that randomly wipes out your fully healed team in seconds is not something I think the devs intended as there's nothing strategic or fun about it. icon_razz.gif
          • Unknown
            edited August 2015
            My Classic Storm is 3/5/3 right now. Obviously I maxed blue (that's the whole point of the character!!).

When I first got her, I figured I would max blue and green and leave yellow at 3 (5/5/3).

But now that I've seen that yellow damage…not sure now…

I mean, her green is OK. It's a decent damage dealer but not being able to choose which tiles she destroys…kinda seems to limit the usefulness.

Anyone with maxed Classic Storm have opinions on whether green or yellow is better to max out?
          • Why not 4/5/4? You get max damage at rank 4, next rank grants only an additional one Red AP.

Personally I plan to go 5/4/4 which gives me max damage on Blue and Yellow skills with nice AP generation from Green (18AP generated at minimum)
          • I'm running 5/4/4 seems more effective to me. Don't need the extra turn of stun with Spidey in my ranks, and the level 5 green power can potentially wipe out half the tiles on the board (when you reach 30 AP), dealing damage for each tile and garnering AP - powering up your next attack(s). Paired with a character who spawns green gems (Ragnarok), she really comes into her element.

Those using her merely for that Tempest exploit, are missing out on her true beauty icon_twisted.gif
          • someguy wrote:
            My Classic Storm is 3/5/3 right now. Obviously I maxed blue (that's the whole point of the character!!).

When I first got her, I figured I would max blue and green and leave yellow at 3 (5/5/3).

But now that I've seen that yellow damage…not sure now…

I mean, her green is OK. It's a decent damage dealer but not being able to choose which tiles she destroys…kinda seems to limit the usefulness.

Anyone with maxed Classic Storm have opinions on whether green or yellow is better to max out?
            You already done goofed, IMO. lvl5 blue isn't that bad, but lvl5 green is just too good. 5/4/4 is the -only- choice in the current state IMO. 5/5/3 isn't that bad tho. lvl5 green allows her to destroy 48 tiles, assuming she doesn't gain 6 green AP back (which is not hard to achieve). 48+ AP generation in one turn. And you are seriously contemplating lvl5 yellow for what? 1 red AP generation?

I would maybe consider 4/5/4 if you're pairing her up with someone who already has a very strong green. But honestly, can't think of many which make Storm's obsolete. It's very handy, even as a backup ability.
          • Ugh...reading your guys' responses here, I think I did screw myself over... icon_cry.gif
          • I got 5/5/3. Tempest as bonus. But like ladder said. Her other skills are her beauty....
          • I have 4/3/4 storm classic.
            I just found blue cover, this will make storm 4/4/4, however I wanted 5/3/5.
            Can anybody give feedback on 5/3/5 setup?

Also, where can I found info on 5th lvl of Wind Storm (blue) currently it says only that lvl 4 will increase damage, what about lvl 5?
            Is there any good wiki with lvls?

Thanks

@someguy: I have similar dilemma, I do not mean to hijack thread, however anyone looking for storm classic will find more info here
          • Nemek
            Nemek Posts: 1,511
            All of the character info is in the Tips and Guides section.

Relevant section:

Storm (Classic)
            2 Star Rarity (Uncommon)

Ororo shatters the air with a volley of lightning, destroying 2 tiles plus one for every two Green AP her team has, dealing damage and generating AP.
            Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Shatters 1 more tile.
            Level 3: Shatters 1 more tile.
            Level 4: Shatters 2 more tiles.
            Level 5: Shatters 1 tile for every Green AP.

Wind Storm - Blue 11 AP
            Storm creates a whirling tempest, damaging the enemy team for 125 and stunning the target for 2 turns.
            Level Upgrades
            Level 2: 156 damage.
            Level 3: Stuns target for 3 turns.
            Level 4: 188 damage.
            Level 5: Stuns target for 4 turns.

Raging Tempest - Yellow Passive
            (PASSIVE) Any time a teammate takes > 20% of their health in direct damage, Storm invokes a wall of elements. It damages the enemy team for 125 and generates 4 Red AP.
            Level Upgrades
            Level 2: 156 damage.
            Level 3: Generates 5 Red AP.
            Level 4: 188 damage.
            Level 5: Generates 6 Red AP.
          • Nemek wrote:
            All of the character info is in the Tips and Guides section.

Relevant section:

Storm (Classic)
            2 Star Rarity (Uncommon)

Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Shatters 1 more tile.
            Level 3: Shatters 1 more tile.
            Level 4: Shatters 2 more tiles.
            Level 5: Shatters 1 tile for every Green AP.

so assuming I use it right at 12 green the difference between level 4 and level 5 is 6 tiles?
          • Mommson wrote:
            Stormheart wrote:
            How exactly is Storm's Classic green power level 5 working? Does it overwrite previous levels, so I get only 1 tile for one AP, no more 6 additional tiles?

Sorry guys (and girls) but all the answers given in this thread to this question are wrong. Before yesterday I thought you know what you're doing but now I have a classic storm with 5 points in Green and the answer is, the 6 additional tiles vanish at level 5. So if you use the skill with exactly 12 Green available, the skill does not change. It destroys 12 tiles at level 4 and 12 tiles at level 5. The maximum you can get is therefore 21 tiles at level 4 and 30 tiles at level 5 with 30 Green present. So if you factor this in, here some thoughts about classic and modern in comparison:

12 Green AP: modern storm better because 12 vs 16 tiles with 2 AP to spare

20 Green AP: modern storm gets 32 tiles. If classic gets 4 or more Green AP with the first use of her skill , then she can use him again and gets 32 + tiles (but already used 4 of them)

30 Green AP: modern gets 48 tiles. Classic gets 48 tiles as well but has 6 Green AP at the end to spare.

At the end of the day, although they sound much different the skills are generally the same at level 5. In my opinion (since 10 minutes ago when i started thinking about it) modern storm Green skill is even slightly ahead

Here a quote about the same question
          • That's fine analysis, but I really hope no-one would consider using Modern Storm over Classic Storm on that basis alone. Assuming fully leveled up versions of course.
          • I got **** with the update and it made my Classic Storm 4/5/4 (on the other hand the same update made my other Modern Storm 5/5/4) while I would prefer 5/4/4.

Still I must admit that before I finaly got Ragnarok I wouldn't really use her green ability too much and was mainly relying on Tempest+Wind storm. In such case having 4 turn of stun is pretty nice, cause first you just fill the blue bar for wind storm and just wait to shield yourself at the right moment to hit with Tempest +Wind storm close to each other which should annihilate the whole opposing team leaving the "remaining threat stunned for 4 turns".

Classic Storm is one of the better characters in the game and its not really possible to level her up badly any combination of L5 will have its uses.
          • Everyone is slightly wrong on this page. Read the lvl 5 green description carefully. With lvl5 and 12 green AP you break 12 tiles not 18. Going to level 5 you lose the bonus 6 tiles. So lvl4 and lvl5 with 12 green AP, both will break 12 tiles (lvl4=6+12/2 and lvl5=0+12/1). It is only at amounts greater then 12AP do you see an increase of the number of tiles broken by lvl5. At 30AP, a lvl4 will break 21 tiles (6+15) and a lvl5 will break 30 tiles.

All that being said, I too have a 5/5/3. Tempest is a bonus.

EDIT: Looks like monsoon answered this same question.
          This discussion has been closed.