*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• I'm thinking Thunder Strike can do 0 damage and it'd still be pretty powerful. A Thunder Strike + Oasis is usually game over, and even if Thor's green is also nerfed, you can still put the game away with GSBW or any other strong green characters. Just wait for at least 10 green tiles, Thunder Strike adds 9 and Oasis adds 6, and it's pretty hard not to have a monster cascade with 25 green tiles on the board.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:

4/5/4--Let's assume you can cast red twice to green's once that's 650 on target damage
    3/5/5--Lets assume once you get an extra 595 green target and 592 with the two AOE that's 1187 total output damage

As you can see the 4/5/4 does 537 less total output damage than 3/5/5 and that assumes you cast red twice to 1 green.

A reoccurring problem I see in these character debates is they don't account for subjectivity.

A 5/5/3 Thor benefits my team for several reasons. By increasing damage by a low cost ability I can neutralize a high priority target that has the most threat to my team faster. One character dying often tips the scales in your favor drastically. You can then add in the fact that certain characters may work better this way. For instance Spidey can easily lock down a team of 2 vs a team of 3 creating a large opportunity.

How can you calculate the threat of leaving OBW alive increasing the chances she steals more AP? You really can't so this strategy gets lost under a pile of shiny numbers that Thor's green offers.

Fixed a typo with the build
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

4/5/4--Let's assume you can cast red twice to green's once that's 650 on target damage
    3/5/5--Lets assume once you get an extra 595 green target and 592 with the two AOE that's 1187 total output damage

As you can see the 4/5/4 does 537 less total output damage than 3/5/5 and that assumes you cast red twice to 1 green.

A reoccurring problem I see in these character debates is they don't account for subjectivity.

A 5/5/3 Thor benefits my team for several reasons. By increasing damage by a low cost ability I can neutralize a high priority target that has the most threat to my team faster. One character dying often tips the scales in your favor drastically. You can then add in the fact that certain characters may work better this way. For instance Spidey can easily lock down a team of 2 vs a team of 3 creating a large opportunity.

How can you calculate the threat of leaving OBW alive increasing the chances she steals more AP? You really can't so this strategy gets lost under a pile of shiny numbers that Thor's green offers.

Fixed a typo with the build

I'm not trying to say that 5/5/3 isn't viable or good for you, and you are correct about neutralizing a high priority. I am showing you only perfect numbers and perfect scenarios. 3/5/5 does more total damage then any other build. Does that make 3/5/5 better than 5/5/3, no does that mean your 5/5/3 is better no. It's like doing physics problems in the book vs the real world, in the book it's static you know the variables, in the real world they can change by the second depending on what you are doing. So in a text book setting the most cost effective use of Thor's skill points is the 3/5/5 configuration. But as you pointed out in real world settings you feel that 5/5/3 is superior, awesome, but just know for future of my posts, if you see them, they are text book numbers based, not real world.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Funny how the last discussion points were about 3/5/5 and 5/5/3 builds.

I stumbled upon a person in the Simulator training and to me, it looks like that player bought LT covers (also has a lvl 160 4-5-4 X-Force which I am pretty sure no F2P player can afford to have).

4OAFfz4l.png

It pains me to see this.
  • I've got a 3/5/5 max. With the new covers, should I build another 5/5/3? Or it's not worth the time and resource? I plan on spending no HP for the second Thor if I decided to make one, so it'll be a very LONG process. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Someone in my alliance is vehemently telling me that 3 star Thor's Call of the Storm does not actually do the amount of damage that the cover says it does. He says it does about 600 less damage than the cover claims it does. He also says that whenever he fights an AI 3 star Thor, that their COS damage is higher. I find this a little hard to believe given that I pay close attention to exact damage numbers of attacks like this when I use them and unless they are interfered with somehow they do the exact numbers claimed on their covers.

So...true or complete nonsense?
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ask your alliance mate if there are any strike or defense tiles on the board. That will affect the damage amount.
    You do less if the Ai has defense tiles, and the Ai does more if it has strike tiles. In the amount of time it takes to gather enough Ap to cast CotS, the Ai could place a dozen tiles on the board. However, if there are no tiles, then I dont know as I watch all damage and defense amounts also, and I personally have never seen this.
  • That was my first reaction, but he says it does it constantly no matter what.
  • That was my first reaction, but he says it does it constantly no matter what.

Tell him to screenshot it. "Pics or it didn't happen", you know? If he says it happens consistently, it shouldn't be hard to prove.

Or tell him to remember to use his LazyThor not his 2* Thor.
  • This same guy just now asked me how much purple he would start with if he had a 3 purple/blue boost and a 3 all ap boost on...so I think that pretty much answered my question right there.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, looks like it's time to tell the guy to sell his Thor if he's displeased with it.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Might be time to tell him he could be number dyslexic. It's a thing!
  • LazyThor was far away in the forum icon_e_wink.gif

Just a question about him...

I have him 5/5/3 and i like his red, cause i can kill OBW or Storm quite quickly...

But i just had a green cover. I don't know when i got another green. So does it worth it to use it and have LazyThor 4/5/4 ? And wait after for new green cover (but don't know when) ? or is it better to stay with the 5/5/3 configuration.

Thank you
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    If we're talking lazyThor, 3/5/5 is the ideal build. Red does decent damage but the yellow to green combo can cripple a team if it doesn't win it for you right there. I'd respec to 4/5/4 and wait for that last green.

Also if you are still dealing with obw and cstorms and have a fully covered lt, your transition days might be coming to an end soon where you won't be seeing those consistently. 3*s aren't phased much by the red at those levels but 3/5/5 will carry you to a KO long into the rest of your game.

Edit: the way you talk about him, do you mean 2* Thor? Either way, 3/5/5 will serve you well for a long time and if it is 2*, you'll probably get that last green in a week or two. They drop much easier now in pvp.
  • 355 is the way to go.
    His red is basically just single target damage. It's nice to use in a pinch if you happen to have 8 red, but you should be building to his yellow and green, not his red.
  • I didn't build it...It came with 5/5/3 icon_e_wink.gif

But i like this configuration. We can kill a foe very quickly (Storm, Wolvie**, OBW) and the time the green is full, it kills all the wounded.

With 3/5/5, i have the feeling that LazyThor won't be usefuf til his green is full...which take some time.

Sure that with 5 green, it must be a real tornado...But until he gets it, he's not so strong...The 5 red allow to be powerful quite quickly.or

I think Lazy Thor 5/5/3 may be good with Punisher 5/5/3 (and BP to complete the board).

But I wonder if 4/5/4 is viable before i wait a last green cover which may never come icon_e_wink.gif

What is his strengh with 4 red ?

Thanks
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    I actually purposely run a 4/5/4 Thor. His red does 1751 and green does 3824/1912.

As you've stated, I mostly like having a bit more oomph in red for use as a finishing move, especially since I mainly use his green generation to fuel XWolvie.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    To each his own, I suppose, but my 3/5/5 is doing 1.5k damage at level 135 on red and 2k on yellow with 3800 to one target and 1900 to rest on green. 12 yellow and about six green is enough to get green off and will usually cripple/finish any team. So, that's at least 5800 damage to one target and cascades only add to that. I mop up the rest from there.

The yellow accelerates the green that his green isn't super slow and his high hp makes up for that. The 3k to 4k health of the people you mention really doesn't phase me. I'll prioritize obw or cstorm first but match damage alone should have them at 2k left in health by the time I get 12 yellow. If I need to, I'll pop the red in a pinch to down someone but it's not really a priority color for me.

Also, your last green or any cover you want will drop if you play long enough. It might cause a suboptimal load out for a period of time like 4/5/4 on a Thor but if you want to respec any three star it's going to happen unless you want to pay hp for covers. So it's either wait, pay hp or use the first 13 covers you get. Maybe I'm more patient than most but I'll wait on covers once i settle on my preferred build.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Agreed. It's very situational. I will say though that once I got to the point where I was fighting Hood/Sentry almost exclusively, I definitely appreciated the fast-acting single target killing potential. Downing Hood as quickly as possible is imperative.
  • So I have 0R,5Y,5G covers. How do i get his red cover when he isn't listed in any of the draw tables? Is he retired?