Widowmaker: positive feedback

Options
I wanted to say I like how Widowmaker has evolved the Bow And Arrow Guy tourney concept that forces players to enter low-rarity characters to compete in the tourney, at least into different funnels for different versions of the characters.

The longer we can keep 1-star characters relevant, the better the game will cater to new players and hopefully stay interesting to the vets.

I hope we're getting closer in terms of implementation to tourney formats that will boost/limit entrants based only on their rarity, like the suggested star cap tourney which was posted a couple weeks back. I think that will really help add variety to the tourney scene.

Comments

• One thing I will say, I've noticed that the funnels only limit your own character choice, not your opponents.

i.e. When I pick the Grey Widow funnel to play, I can only use Grey Widow, but my opponents still come up as Modern and Original all the time.

I'd like to see this functionality evolve so that it also limits opponents. In other words, in Widowmaker 2.0, if I pick the Modern Widow funnel, I only get opponents running Modern Widow. In theory, this could help segregate top players from newbies as newbie players would theoretically run Modern Widow and longer-time players would theoretically run Grey Widow teams, giving newbies a chance to compete for points on a theoretically more level playing field. In theory, of course. icon_e_wink.gif

Obviously, this wouldn't have to be for every tournament...but I think it could be beneficial to run every so often.
  • someguy wrote:
    One thing I will say, I've noticed that the funnels only limit your own character choice, not your opponents.

i.e. When I pick the Grey Widow funnel to play, I can only use Grey Widow, but my opponents still come up as Modern and Original all the time.

I'd like to see this functionality evolve so that it also limits opponents. In other words, in Widowmaker 2.0, if I pick the Modern Widow funnel, I only get opponents running Modern Widow. In theory, this could help segregate top players from newbies as newbie players would theoretically run Modern Widow and longer-time players would theoretically run Grey Widow teams, giving newbies a chance to compete for points on a theoretically more level playing field. In theory, of course. icon_e_wink.gif

Obviously, this wouldn't have to be for every tournament...but I think it could be beneficial to run every so often.

I imagine that would require some recoding because then you could potentially need three defensive teams within the same tourney.

I suppose one way they could do it immediately would be like the Hulk event/sub events. One main tourney with all progression/placement rewards. Three subs, one for each Widow with no rewards. Your score in the main tourney is the sum of your scores in the three subs. Just seems like a mess but I agree that would be more interesting.
  • someguy wrote:
    I wanted to say I like how Widowmaker has evolved the Bow And Arrow Guy tourney concept that forces players to enter low-rarity characters to compete in the tourney, at least into different funnels for different versions of the characters.

The longer we can keep 1-star characters relevant, the better the game will cater to new players and hopefully stay interesting to the vets.

I hope we're getting closer in terms of implementation to tourney formats that will boost/limit entrants based only on their rarity, like the suggested star cap tourney which was posted a couple weeks back. I think that will really help add variety to the tourney scene.

This wasn't my idea oringinally but I read it some where, a 1,2,3* tournament that required you to use one of each star character, I think that would be relitively friendly towards newbies, also I would like to see a 2* tournament once some new 2* characters are introduced.
  • I imagine that would require some recoding because then you could potentially need three defensive teams within the same tourney.

I suppose one way they could do it immediately would be like the Hulk event/sub events. One main tourney with all progression/placement rewards. Three subs, one for each Widow with no rewards. Your score in the main tourney is the sum of your scores in the three subs. Just seems like a mess but I agree that would be more interesting.

Yeah, this would definitely require new functionality, or at least, functionality we haven't seen yet. icon_razz.gif

In any case, I just like the idea of having a single, continuous tourney that is divided, at least informally, into 1-star, 2-star, and 3-star tiers, which means that newbies and intermediate players effectively get their own little sandbox they can compete in without eventually hitting a wall of "ugh, I got to XX progression points, now the PVP teams are nothing but high-level Ragnaroks."

Widowmaker is obviously the best format for this since there are 3 Widow versions at each star level, but maybe we'll see a 2-star Iron Man or 1-star Wolvie later?
  • someguy wrote:
    Widowmaker is obviously the best format for this since there are 3 Widow versions at each star level, but maybe we'll see a 2-star Iron Man or 1-star Wolvie later?

Let's promote ****Wolvie to *** and make him awesome first, at least awesome enough to do justice to that excellent comic cover being used for the character.