*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• Out of curiosity, has anyone tried throwing someone who's stunned? Like cast recharge, throw IM40 after it goes off? I'm curious what it would do to the stun countdown - plus do IM40's powers drain the extra AP if he's thrown?
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Out of curiosity, has anyone tried throwing someone who's stunned? Like cast recharge, throw IM40 after it goes off? I'm curious what it would do to the stun countdown - plus do IM40's powers drain the extra AP if he's thrown?

From my limited testing, you can't throw a stunned character or any character who doesn't have an ability that can be "cast" (e.g. Daken with only Black/Purple covers).

Additionally, the thrown character's ability works like the ability dictates, just like TUs. So, yes, IM40 drains the other colors and Ares sucks all of your Green. Even though the ability is "free".

The free part only applies to the base cost of the ability.
  • Obviously, the best person to throw is Bullseye. Cast a black power that costs 16 AP for only 13 AP and do extra damage as well? If you just wait til you have 29 black, you can cast twice and actually get the full effect of Murderous Aim! Plus, you know EXACTLY which power will go off!

I'm kidding, it's a terrible idea, but it sounds good, doesn't it?

My alliance mate says that he has done what you described, but with a minor difference. He used a fastball special teamup to throw bullseye instead of having colossus on the team. (I think sending Colossus on patrol will guarantee you a fastball special teamup, since red and yellow are invalid without Colossus)
    Granted, that's still a lot of AP, but 13 teamup AP and 16 black AP is much easier to get than 29 black AP. And yes, this is all just for fun (may have some use in PVE), not for the typical competitive PVP environment.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    So, having played uh... way too much MPQ, and being really keen on Colossus, I was extremely excited about his power set. He's big. His red is competitive with other similar 11 point throws (Cap being the obvious immediate comparison). Problem I have with it is I don't think the countdown tile works. The damage mitigation is solid, and makes total sense. Instead, I would like to see this updated to a passive (yes, I know, the other Y/R/Bk -- Capt Marvel -- also has a Yellow passive, but hear me out).

The countdown tile consumes AP, and runs (at 5 covers) for five turns; it can matched out, damaged out, slashed out, shield thrown out, effectively meaning that unless you've put Force Bubble on it or got a really good placement, it's going to expire. I'd like to see it converted to a passive:

Immovable Object (11 Yellow, Passive)

Rank 1: When the team has 11 Yellow, Colossus steps to the fore to take the brunt of the damage, mitigating any incoming damage by 25%.
    Rank 2: Reduce cost by 1, raise resistance to 30%
    Rank 3: Raise resistance to 40%
    Rank 4: Reduce cost by 1
    Rank 5: Reduce cost by 1, raise resistance to 50%

Now there are provided options, and it forces opponents to think more critically about how to manage his DR (if it pops) and now you don't have that terrible "I just spent 8 AP and something stupid happened" feeling. I hate that.

Thoughts?
  • The problem with your fix is it goes from one extreme to the other.

In its current state, as you said, it can be matched, blown up by abilities, hit during a 4 or 5 match or just plain put in a stupid space. That isn't all that fair to the person using it.

In your proposed state, once you get 8 yellow AP, your opponent has no choice but to attack Collossus until he's dead, at 50% mitigation or, for you mathematicians, 20400 damage (10200 base health, 50% mitigation). And unless they have an OBW, Yelena, Hood or an OBW or Yelena TU, they have no way of stopping that from happening. Unless someone on your team has a yellow ability that they, stupidly, use.

A good "in the middle" proposition would be just to allow Colossus to place the yellow tile on any existing yellow tile. Honestly, I think they should do that for all tile placement abilities; Hulk's black, HT's Green, Black Panther's blue, beast's blue, Nick Fury Purple, Xforce yellow, Daredevil's traps (seriously, who lays a trap but doesn't control where he lays it? Makes no sense at all) etc.

It just feels like you were robbed any time you place a tile that is immediately matched, either because it was set right on a match 3 or in line with a match 4.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    You should really be posting this in the Colossus thread.

The change suggested in the OP makes his passive have absolutely no counterplay. Perhaps a simpler buff is being able to place 2 countdown tiles instead of 1 to make it more resilient to matching. Perhaps his DR% can be modified with how many countdown tiles are out.
  • LuciferianX
    I didn't want it lost at the end of the thread, hence I created a new post. If the idea is discarded, post goes to the bottom. No worries.

I can agree that having it be a burning passive can be rough, but that's part of the point, however, I would concede that another fix is 4 covers, the countdown is removed. That would work for me as well.
  • What if it just drained one yellow ap each time he was hit? Like you can cast it at 5 yellow ap, Colossus jumps in front, and each hit would drain one yellow? That way you're getting the benefit of the move without the risk of the countdown being matched and it's useful defensively, but since the AI won't be focusing yellow it shouldn't be overpowered defensively.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Or make it work sort of like HT's green, but in reverse and w/o a cd tile. When over X (5?) yellow AP, colossus jumps out front and absorbs XXX (100-300) damage per yellow AP in the bank (up to 50% damage reduced). Gives a passive ability that can be drained and replenished.
  • LuciferianX
    The last is the logical conclusion of what I was thinking of, and it would make sense -- build up to X (we'll say at 5 covers, 5, since it's depleting) and each time he intercepts an attack, it depletes by 1. That would, in fact, solve my problem completely, still be 'pactive,' make sense, and avoid that horrible countdown and keep people from having to always deal with it.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    For anyone who has him maxed or near, what partners have you found work best in pvp? Fury is really the only one that makes a lot of sense to me but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with anyone else while still trying to hit 5 of 6 colors.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    So is immovable object bugged or something? Fighting a colossus in the Simulator who has a level 5 countdown tile down, and it's not reducing my strike-fueled match damage one bit.

Edit: Next fight, it did reduce damage - maybe the bug only happens when Colossus is the last one moving his team?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fury and lazythor are the only partners for colossus that i will approve of for the purposes of fastball and general team synergy.
  • Fury and lazythor are the only partners for colossus that i will approve of for the purposes of fastball and general team synergy.

Steve wants a word
  • NorthernPolarity
    ark123 wrote:
    Fury and lazythor are the only partners for colossus that i will approve of for the purposes of fastball and general team synergy.

Steve wants a word

Believe me, I've gone through literally every single 3* in the game and those two are what I've concluded works with Fastball. Steve sucks because the whole reason why you bring Colossus or Steve onto a team is for their red abilities. Since they conflict, either Steve is dead weight because you're bringing him for sentinel of liberty (wat.) and peacemaker, or you're bringing Colossus only for fastball (which is incredibly bad since its not a powerful ability to begin with). LazyThor and Fury, that's it.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    JoseMartins (I think that's the IGN) often runs featured/Colossus/GSBW at high scores (1200-1400, maybe higher). I have no idea how that works, you need 13 black to launch GSBW and then pray she lands a Rifle? Sure Colossus red can finish the job too. Maybe it works since 2/3 times it leads to Sniper Rifle anyway? (Airborne DecTactics into regular Rifle or Airborne Rifle.) I'm so curious!
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    ark123 wrote:

Steve wants a word

Believe me, I've gone through literally every single 3* in the game and those two are what I've concluded works with Fastball. Steve sucks because the whole reason why you bring Colossus or Steve onto a team is for their red abilities. Since they conflict, either Steve is dead weight because you're bringing him for sentinel of liberty (wat.) and peacemaker, or you're bringing Colossus only for fastball (which is incredibly bad since its not a powerful ability to begin with). LazyThor and Fury, that's it.
    How about BP? Possibility of landing 2/3 good abilities ain't bad.
  • hurcules wrote:
    How about BP? Possibility of landing 2/3 good abilities ain't bad.

Spending 13 black AP on Fastball Special is pointless when you can use 12 to do Rage for sure. Fury makes sense because if you get Avengers Assemble there's no black or yellow AP requirement to get the full effect. 2 of Steve Rogers abilities will generate AP when the countdown tiles resolve & his third skill is expensive so casting it for 13 black isn't the worst trade off. When throwing Thor, in the worst case scenario you will at least get some useful yellow tiles added to the board.
  • NorthernPolarity
    locked wrote:
    JoseMartins (I think that's the IGN) often runs featured/Colossus/GSBW at high scores (1200-1400, maybe higher). I have no idea how that works, you need 13 black to launch GSBW and then pray she lands a Rifle? Sure Colossus red can finish the job too. Maybe it works since 2/3 times it leads to Sniper Rifle anyway? (Airborne DecTactics into regular Rifle or Airborne Rifle.) I'm so curious!

Forgot about gsbw because of how bad she is in pve, but yeah, that would make 3.
  • locked wrote:

Forgot about gsbw because of how bad she is in pve, but yeah, that would make 3.

Bad in PVE? Not really - useful for a node or two before she starts needing healthpacks at least.