Character rankings 10/14 edition: the results!

145791012

Comments

  • atomzedatomzed Posts: 1,461 Chairperson of the Boards
    I disagree with your recommended build for patch. 355, to me, is the *least* versatile build. 355 require you to plan your team around patch, such that he tanks as many color as he can. If not, TBTI won't be game ending as you are not doing enough dmg. This means you have to like be concerned about his placement, his level relative to others....

    I will argue that 535 is the *most* versatile build. Simply because you don't have to babysit the team set up. You just have to vary your playing style, to take care of the strike tiles.

    To put another spin, if you are playing patch with 2 max 4* (thoress and fury for example). Patch won't be tanking any color and his Tbti would deal 0 dmg. But if you have him at 535, life goes on as normal. That's *versatility*.

    Patch is still top 10 quality because the ability to play *forever* with ldaken is invaluable. Hence 5 yellow is pretty much a must.
  • atomzed wrote:
    I disagree with your recommended build for patch. 355, to me, is the *least* versatile build. 355 require you to plan your team around patch, such that he tanks as many color as he can. If not, TBTI won't be game ending as you are not doing enough dmg. This means you have to like be concerned about his placement, his level relative to others....

    I will argue that 535 is the *most* versatile build. Simply because you don't have to babysit the team set up. You just have to vary your playing style, to take care of the strike tiles.

    To put another spin, if you are playing patch with 2 max 4* (thoress and fury for example). Patch won't be tanking any color and his Tbti would deal 0 dmg. But if you have him at 535, life goes on as normal. That's *versatility*.

    Patch is still top 10 quality because the ability to play *forever* with ldaken is invaluable. Hence 5 yellow is pretty much a must.
    Problem with 535 is your patch will kill your team on defense.

    And if a Hulk is attacking you?

    Forget about it.
  • Nighthawk81Nighthawk81 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    onimus wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    I disagree with your recommended build for patch. 355, to me, is the *least* versatile build. 355 require you to plan your team around patch, such that he tanks as many color as he can. If not, TBTI won't be game ending as you are not doing enough dmg. This means you have to like be concerned about his placement, his level relative to others....

    I will argue that 535 is the *most* versatile build. Simply because you don't have to babysit the team set up. You just have to vary your playing style, to take care of the strike tiles.

    To put another spin, if you are playing patch with 2 max 4* (thoress and fury for example). Patch won't be tanking any color and his Tbti would deal 0 dmg. But if you have him at 535, life goes on as normal. That's *versatility*.

    Patch is still top 10 quality because the ability to play *forever* with ldaken is invaluable. Hence 5 yellow is pretty much a must.
    Problem with 535 is your patch will kill your team on defense.

    And if a Hulk is attacking you?

    Forget about it.

    You completely missed part of what he said. You have to vary your play style.
  • NorthernPolarityNorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    I disagree with your recommended build for patch. 355, to me, is the *least* versatile build. 355 require you to plan your team around patch, such that he tanks as many color as he can. If not, TBTI won't be game ending as you are not doing enough dmg. This means you have to like be concerned about his placement, his level relative to others....

    I will argue that 535 is the *most* versatile build. Simply because you don't have to babysit the team set up. You just have to vary your playing style, to take care of the strike tiles.

    To put another spin, if you are playing patch with 2 max 4* (thoress and fury for example). Patch won't be tanking any color and his Tbti would deal 0 dmg. But if you have him at 535, life goes on as normal. That's *versatility*.

    Patch is still top 10 quality because the ability to play *forever* with ldaken is invaluable. Hence 5 yellow is pretty much a must.

    I think you missed his point. You don't go 3/5/5 because you want to use TBTI, you go 3/5/5 because you DONT want to give the enemy 6 strike tiles. 3/5/5 is "versatile" because you can use berzerker rage whenever you are able to match-3 on purple and only deal with 1-2 strike tiles, as opposed to 5/3/5 where you might have to deal with 3-4. I see a lot of posts here where people think that 5 green is strictly superior to 3 green, and that's just not how it works. With 5/3/5, you need to build your team around the fact that once you rage, you need to burst down the enemy team ASAP, and as such probably have to bring cheap spells and / or hoard your powers (which is varying playstyle like you said). TBTI is completely irrelevant when talking about Patch builds: all that matters is how many strike tiles you want zerker rage to give to you and the opponent.
  • onimus wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    I disagree with your recommended build for patch. 355, to me, is the *least* versatile build. 355 require you to plan your team around patch, such that he tanks as many color as he can. If not, TBTI won't be game ending as you are not doing enough dmg. This means you have to like be concerned about his placement, his level relative to others....

    I will argue that 535 is the *most* versatile build. Simply because you don't have to babysit the team set up. You just have to vary your playing style, to take care of the strike tiles.

    To put another spin, if you are playing patch with 2 max 4* (thoress and fury for example). Patch won't be tanking any color and his Tbti would deal 0 dmg. But if you have him at 535, life goes on as normal. That's *versatility*.

    Patch is still top 10 quality because the ability to play *forever* with ldaken is invaluable. Hence 5 yellow is pretty much a must.
    Problem with 535 is your patch will kill your team on defense.

    And if a Hulk is attacking you?

    Forget about it.

    You completely missed part of what he said. You have to vary your play style.
    You can't vary your playstyle on defense.

    I wish you could program the AI, but you can't.

    If you put a level 5 Zerker rage in AI's hand, they'll fire it off as soon as possible. And if the enemy has a hulk or a Captain Marvel, they will put that character in front, giving them, in hulk's case, endless green and AoE damage or in Cap Marvel's case, endless red and black.


    Level 3 or even level 4 is much safer when dealing with Patch from a defensive perspective.
  • MarcusGravesMarcusGraves Posts: 494 Mover and Shaker
    1. Thor top 3? Are you guys for real? Thor got in over Hood, Fury, and Daken? Really?

    -10200 HP
    -seriously idiot proof, AI cannot mess up with this character, powers are just fire and go.
    -being his weakest power, rank 3 red still hurts with 1370 damage
    -can fit into a lot of team comps because he plays nice with others
    -yellow for the same cost takes less work than fury's yellow because fury's needs multiple colors for full potential
    -yellow does a really painful 2486 damage plus any following damage resulting from green matches and cascades caused by sudden green matches. not unusual for yellow to do around 3k+ damage
    -only ability in game that can drop 9 green tiles, one of the most valuable colors.
    -can fuel his own powers
    -call the storm will wreck even a 3* team's face
    -is not uncommon for him to be a boosted character in PvE or PvP (boosted thor is not damn funny)

    sorry yeah, not top 3 material how?
  • Just worse than Hood and Daken at the very least.
  • lorokuloroku Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    My guess is:

    3. 3* Thor
    2. Xforce

    clouds

    stars

    galaxies

    god

    1. Sentry

    Or at least that's how I'd rank them, based on one character ruling the entire meta single-handedly. icon_e_smile.gif

    But based on the heat chart, I think it's actually going to be: 3) Sentry, 2) Thor, 1) X force. The reason is because #3 got a LOT of #1 votes. More than anyone else. But thanks to a lot of lower votes, the average result (and thus, rank) ended up lower. Since Sentry is widely regarded the best - but also a bit controversially so - I think this caused him to drop just out of the top. He IS the best - but he's not the best for every player. Thus the spread. Meanwhile #2 got VERY few #1 votes. They didn't even get a lot of #2 votes! But they got a LOT of "top 5" votes and basically no votes (only 6!) outside the top 10, which means their average came out #2. Thor is NOT top two - but almost no one denies he is top 5. Which means he ended up #2 in rank. Finally the #1 spot got a TON of #1 and #2 votes, with very little else, and frankly that describes Xforce to a tee. He's not controversially powerful: it just depends on whether or not you think he's top or second. Which apparently averages out to mean "top."
  • Okay, two things.

    1. Thor top 3? Are you guys for real? Thor got in over Hood, Fury, and Daken? Really?
    2. Hood at 8th?

    Starting to think people here aren't very good at MPQ. If this was MTG, I'd be offering to trade you my awesome Darksteel Colossuses for your useless Taigas and Underground Seas.
    You're more like the guy who traded his awesome Tarmogoyf for a useless Taiga

    Between the damage nerf and not taking green, Daken just isn't as good as lThor anymore. Fury was never as good as lThor. Hood is arguably better, but Thor just shines in every situation while Hood is limited and specialized
  • Predicted right except for Hood. I am really surprised how low Hood was as well, but you're basically bringing in a squishy for that one ability, or Intimidation for Sentry bombs which only the top few use. Even without Hood, Sentry bombs would still rock your world. Lthor is great for a transitioner, and is very simple to use, with 3 completely useful abilities. More people avoid Supernova due to the self damage.

    Still sticking with Lthor, Sentry then XForce at the top.
  • MarcusGravesMarcusGraves Posts: 494 Mover and Shaker
    Just worse than Hood and Daken at the very least.

    not even close, Hood would be a mediocre character w/o his passive which is also the main reason you use him and why he places so high but he also has an abysmally low HP amount of 5100 which hurts his value.

    daken while super useful because he has true healing, is really just a strike tile maker and doesn't do anything else besides regen and sometimes use chemical reaction to finish characters off. not knocking his score, he deserves to be in the top 5, but he doesn't have the power to close games.

    thor is the game ender, his yellow and green are extremely dangerous since they can both end a game. Add onto the fact that because his HP is so high you simply can't just burst down a max thor, 10200 HP is a lot to go through making him a ticking timebomb of 1 good mjolnir's might/cascade into yellow then green or even just green.
  • lorokuloroku Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    daibar wrote:
    I am really surprised how low Hood was as well,
    Hood should have been 7. The difference between 7 and 8 was almost nothing but Hood got a last-place troll vote that may have been enough to bring his average below Patch (especially since Patch didn't get any votes below 30th place). (Maybe it was the same person who put Yelena at #1?)

    Also, more people thought Hood was better than a lot of those higher characters - but more people also ranked him lower. The idea that he is "top 10" is pretty well agreed-on, but enough hedging around the edges (and only one #1 vote) caused his average to drop - thus 8.

    Enough people agreed on the ranks for rank 1-7 that it basically forced him out of the top spot. As you can see, a lot of people agreed with the general order of the top 7.
  • rkd80rkd80 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 376
    Hood is right where he is. He is alarmingly weak by himself, not useless, but very weak. 5 yellow is still ok, but if you have him at 5 black, what is he going to do exactly?
    A strict support character cannot occupy the top positions when: Xforce, Sentry, UDaken, BP, LThor and others all have so much killing power.

    At the end of the day, we are looking for characters who allow us to steamroll. If they can steamroll and also provide defensive deterrents, then awesome. Hence Hulk's continued presence in the top 10.
  • I think Patch will see a comeback once Goddess Thor is fully released. I mentioned this in the character thread, but using Berserker Rage when you have enough to immediately cast Striking Distance is so much fun. It boosts the AoE damage on Striking Distance, and turns those purple into charged tiles....which you can use to drop Whales really fast. Or use Blade for even more strike tiles.

    At worst it takes out the downside of a fully covered Berserker Rage and gives your opponent some purple, which they probably have no outlet for anyway, at least on defense.
  • lorokuloroku Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    One more interesting fact:

    As mentioned, the top 7 were pretty well agreed on (even if averaging made some things funny, like Thor being #2, assuming I'm right). The bottom 12 were also fairly agreed on, but another thing worth noting is that there is a big gap between the 12th and 13th places. It's definitely a tier of its own.
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Poor Hood, he's just the spice, but he's my favourite spice. Since I picked the Princess and the Frog song for him, I now can't help but remember the Tabasco from the film. He's the Tabasco of MPQ and makes everything better.
    Or worse if you hate Tabasco.

    atomzed's great post made me seriously consider 535 for Patch for the first time in forever, but 5 minutes later Polarity's great post made me set back again. I think 355 is the definitive transition build, though, since it can be used with oBW and it's no trouble for Patch to tank for similar-coloured 2*s.
  • im glad hood isnt top 3 as to get off the nerfing radar.

    As for Lthor, while I like Daken alot more because it saves me health packs on a million occasion, I have also used Lthor quite frequently to deal with medium to low PvE nodes as he is one though anchor. my approach has always been to conserve health packs which makes LDaken shine.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2Nonce Equitaur 2 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adding in the other six Characters.


    Sentry, ****Wolverine, ***Thor
    Lady Thor
    Nick Fury, ***Daken, Black Panther
    ***Wolverine , The Hood, ***Captain America
    Blade
    Hulk, Punisher, ***Magneto
    Devil Dinosaur
    Human Torch, Deadpool, Psylocke
    Falcon, Captain Marvel, ***Black Widow
    Colossus
    **Black Widow, Doctor Doom, Ares
    ***Iron Man, ***Storm, Spider-Man
    She-Hulk, Beast, Thor
    Ragnarok, **Storm, Invisible Woman
    Doctor Octopus
    Daken, Loki, Daredevil
    **Magneto , **Wolverine, **Human Torch
    Ms. Marvel
    **Hawkeye, Captain America, Juggernaut
    Bullseye, Moonstone, *Storm
    *Black Widow, *Iron Man, *Hawkeye
    Venom, Bag Man, Yelena Belova
  • Adding in the other six Characters.


    Sentry, ****Wolverine, ***Thor
    Lady Thor
    Nick Fury, ***Daken, Black Panther
    ***Wolverine , The Hood, ***Captain America
    Blade
    Hulk, Punisher, ***Magneto
    Devil Dinosaur
    Human Torch, Deadpool, Psylocke
    Falcon, Captain Marvel, ***Black Widow
    Colossus
    **Black Widow, Doctor Doom, Ares
    ***Iron Man, ***Storm, Spider-Man
    She-Hulk, Beast, Thor
    Ragnarok, **Storm, Invisible Woman
    Doctor Octopus
    Daken, Loki, Daredevil
    **Magneto , **Wolverine, **Human Torch
    Ms. Marvel
    **Hawkeye, Captain America, Juggernaut
    Bullseye, Moonstone, *Storm
    *Black Widow, *Iron Man, *Hawkeye
    Venom, Bag Man, Yelena Belova

    Come on now, Doc Ock has a passive that makes an attack tile, so he at least passes the bar of "does something," which Beast fails to do icon_lol.gif
  • locked wrote:
    Poor Hood, he's just the spice, but he's my favourite spice. Since I picked the Princess and the Frog song for him, I now can't help but remember the Tabasco from the film. He's the Tabasco of MPQ and makes everything better.
    Or worse if you hate Tabasco.

    atomzed's great post made me seriously consider 535 for Patch for the first time in forever, but 5 minutes later Polarity's great post made me set back again. I think 355 is the definitive transition build, though, since it can be used with oBW and it's no trouble for Patch to tank for similar-coloured 2*s.

    I still like 535 because there's lots of green abilities that are nearly always better than a 3-cover Rage, and you can even take Patch along to tank green for those characters. But 535 gives Patch the unique ability to make level 300 battles with 2 or 3 dangerous goons very low-risk
Sign In or Register to comment.