Character rankings 10/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• daibar wrote:
    18. Black Widow (grey suit), +1
    She's a strong character for PvE, since goons don't do any damage to her while she's building up her AP...
    Wait, what? Am I missing something?
    Hm, I didn't state this well, but what I meant was, while she's building up AP she's not taking match damage, and once she can get off her abilities she can usually destroy most if not all of the threatening tiles (not all the tiles, just the ones that are about to go off).
    How is Spideys sustainability medium. Apart from everyone with true healing he definitely makes sure your team lasts way longer.
    That's why his sustainability isn't low. To get a high sustainability rating, you need a combination of very high health/regeneration/strong protect tiles AND a way to actually kill the enemy team.

This is why protect tiles in general are lame -- protecting against match-damage is certainly useful, but if you're bringing enough firepower you're only taking ~10 turns of match damage anyway, or about 2k damage. If, on the other hand, you reduce match damage to 0, but spend 5-10 more turns winning because you have less firepower, there's a pretty good chance you're eating at least one ability and maybe two. In most cases that'll wipe out any saving from match damage.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dr doom, interestingly shows an improvement in rank. I find it hard to believe he's rank behind GSBW because I find him more useful than her.

His blue is a great black accelerator. His blue ability opens up more options for Xforce as instead of going for green and black, you can go for blue.

As you said, Dr doom is one ability away from being in top 10.

And oh, Dr doom blue is also a good counter for daken as he can suck away all the blue and leave daken heat kill him slowly.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    atomzed wrote:
    Dr doom, interestingly shows an improvement in rank. I find it hard to believe he's rank behind GSBW because I find him more useful than her.

His blue is a great black accelerator. His blue ability opens up more options for Xforce as instead of going for green and black, you can go for blue.

As you said, Dr doom is one ability away from being in top 10.

And oh, Dr doom blue is also a good counter for daken as he can suck away all the blue and leave daken heat kill him slowly.
    Thanks for the reminder, I have been Hulk/GSBWing many Daken nodes and will try Doom now. Don't care much about the current PvE anymore but I want to see the jerk stifle himself! Woo!

All the people that voted Daredevil and Beast that high: you deserve to only have these covers drop for you (pity that Bagdevil has been rotated out for the current season). Ben Grimm is excused, he's just one Daredevil fan, but the rest???? I'm at a loss for words, people! Did you also vote Nick Fury #1 by any chance?
  • GSBW HAS changed in the past year - she now tanks green, making her considerably worse

As for the Psylocke debate, no, she normally isn't impressive, but the fact that when buffed in PVE or PVP she freaking shreds puts her head and shoulders above the garbage tier 3*s
  • over_clocked
    gamar wrote:
    GSBW HAS changed in the past year - she now tanks green, making her considerably worse

As for the Psylocke debate, no, she normally isn't impressive, but the fact that when buffed in PVE or PVP she freaking shreds puts her head and shoulders above the garbage tier 3*s
    Au contraire, I like how Hulk/Thor can now tank GSBW's colours since I usually run her with them anyway. Psylocke... shreds? Goons maybe, or Bullseye tier enemies, or underleveled opponents... She is weaker than Punisher and it shows.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    GSBW HAS changed in the past year - she now tanks green, making her considerably worse

Au contraire, I like how Hulk/Thor can now tank GSBW's colours since I usually run her with them anyway. Psylocke... shreds? Goons maybe, or Bullseye tier enemies, or underleveled opponents... She is weaker than Punisher and it shows.

That's true, but previously her strong colors were Purple, Blue, Yellow or something. Green and Red were her off colors. Even a Level 15 Hulk used to be able to Tank Green for a Max level GSBW. That's no longer the case.
  • over_clocked
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    locked wrote:
    gamar wrote:

That's true, but previously her strong colors were Purple, Blue, Yellow or something. Green and Red were her off colors. Even a Level 15 Hulk used to be able to Tank Green for a Max level GSBW. That's no longer the case.
    Ugh... I know she used to have blue, black and purple, same as Yelena, oBW and Doom. But then she had more of her colours on the board, so if you lacked green or red matches, that usually meant you had to make a GSBW match and make her vulnerable. Now, since she shares main strengths with tanky guys like Hulk, Thor, Patch, it's easier for them to actually tank for her.
  • Today's post, #11-17, are up. Just one more day until we crack the top ten!

As such I'm giving this edition a bonus theme song:

The Waiting (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers)
    Every day you see one more card
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part
  • The usual suspects are in top 10, no surprise there. Honestly I hoped for cMags to be there too, maybe with Patch out of the top 10.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I always enjoy reading these summaries, they are thought provoking and useful.
    But they are also hugely entertaining, especially after 'awkward Psylocke hole' and 'booya, grandma'.

Excellent work mm.
  • Guesses on top 10 anyone?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    10-6
    10-Hulk
    9-Lcap
    8-Patch
    7-Fury
    6- BP
    5-4
    5-LDaken
    4-LThor
    3-Sentry
    2-X-Force
    1-Hood
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    KevinMark wrote:
    Guesses on top 10 anyone?

In no particular order-
    Fury
    X-Force
    LDaken
    Patch
    BP
    Hood
    LThor
    Hulk
    LCap
    Sentry

woopwoopwoop
    tumblr_lsg1yyTmUL1qcz7ha.gif

My actual guess-
    10. LCap
    9. Hulk
    8. Patch
    7. Daken
    6. Fury
    5. BP
    4. Hood
    3. LThor
    2. XForce
    1. Sentry
  • rkd80
    My guess:

X-Force Sentry Daken Hood L.Thor Black Panther Patch Nick Fury Hulk Steve Rogers
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Quick note on C.Mags: he's still one of Patch's best friends. While you no longer have the "overwrite anything for free" skill or the "infinite cascades forever" skill to go abso-butt-****-lutely crazy on, Berserker Rage -> C.Mags Yellow stands pretty decent odds of overwriting at least one or two strike tiles, and even if it doesn't it provides a bit of a cushion against the backfire. Like, I run 4/4/5 patch and 5/4/4 C.Mags (hoping to move that to 5/3/5, because I really like 5 yellow for pretty much exactly this reason), and I find that throwing down yellow after Rage usually leads to me more than breaking even on match damage. icon_e_biggrin.gif What's more, his red is still pretty great for cascades, and throwing that down after Rage means a lot of bonus damage. And finally, blue is just awkward to fill anyways, and C.Mags fills it beautifully.

Just throwing that out there. C.Mags Patch still kicks ****.

(Also, just for posterity, let it be known that the version I wrote for Deadpool was a lot more hero-worshippy on his purple, and that Mischeifmaker was absolutely correct in pointing out the weaknesses of a 14-cost purple skill. I totally didn't even consider what sucking up all the purple from the board would do for enemy matches. icon_redface.gif )
  • The thing I'm most surprised about here is that Hulk was actually voted into the top 10.

I have always considered him a top tier character, but I've read so much **** talk on him in the voting thread and other threads that I assumed he'd be mid tier at best.
  • onimus wrote:
    The thing I'm most surprised about here is that Hulk was actually voted into the top 10.

I have always considered him a top tier character, but I've read so much tinykitty talk on him in the voting thread and other threads that I assumed he'd be mid tier at best.

People might talk **** but usually the mean sorta evens out. That said, I did expect to see Ms. Marvel a lot higher. So many people had her in their top 10s it's not even funny.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Daredevil beat out MHawk, Lil Torch, and AWolv. Wow.

Also, I guess Punisher is still very transition-friendly, since Punisher beating Deadpool, CMags, and HT in Multi-L166 Land is pretty unbelievable.

As for T10, I'm going with:
    1. Sentry
    2 & 3. Hood & XF
    4. Patch
    5. Fury
    6. LT
    7. UDaken
    8. Rogers
    9. BP
    10. Hulk

Balancing high-end PVP against everything else is hard.
  • rkd80
    I think the issue with the perplexing vote aberration may stem from what people focus on in terms of playing. If PvP you have one list and even a certain spec, if PvE the list changes.
    The one character that comes to mind is Lazy Cap. I just dont think he is a formidable PvP character, offensively he takes forever and defensively he is a complete non-factor. For PvE he is an absolute monster and has incredible utility.

Hulk may be one of those characters too. I find him to be quite a nice teammate to xforce for example...maybe even he got a bump because of him.
  • locked wrote:
    gamar wrote:

Well yeah, I consider Punisher A-list and Psylocke C-list, but she's no moStorm or Beast