*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
      Bird Strike - Purple 8 AP
      Max Level: Create 8 protect tiles with 120(ish) strength for each tile.
      That, uh, just might be a bit OP.
    • I was guesstimating the end results, hence the (ish).

I'd say Magneto is more like Bird Strike than Falcon is like Corrosive field. Falcon did come first after all.

Mags: Max Level: Creates 9 Strength 53 Protect tiles
      BP: Max Level: 5 Strength 118 protect tiles over 10 turns
      Spidey: Str 100(ish) for every purple match depending on web tiles

Falcon, who is clearly more defensive than BP, can easily be 5 118 off the bat, and not be unbalanced I think. 8 is too many anyway. Change it to 3, then 4, then finally 5 at 4 covers, 110(ish) at 5 covers, 90 ish at 3 covers. Or whatever is balanced, but point still stands, need to fix A) it's cost and 2) The number of tiles it spews out being too high.
    • I agree that the cost is overpriced; 10 is closer to value.

Totally disagreed on the number of tiles. Conceptually, birds are just that. Small, easy to get rid of a few when there's a flock, but harder to hunt every one down individually. Inspiration and protection works better spread out because then it's harder to target any one protect/strike tile individually. As a defensive weapon, bird strike can easily slow down your opponent the equivalent of 5 turns or more. Bird strike is also good for board control, defense against red strike tiles, maxed Storm's Hailstorm, World Rapture, or abilities that target only basic tiles. A reduction into fewer stronger protect tiles would make this ability far weaker and less useful, but more importantly, less epic.

At current level max is 14 tiles at 51 -> about 700 def. Your first proposal, 8 at 120 -> 960 is a buff of about 1/3, with a significant reduction in cost.
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      After this recent PvE, I can't believe I ever thought to only go 4 in blueflag.png That one less timer on the CD tile has saved me so many times I can't count. 5/5/3 is the only way to go, period, yeah that's right, I am drawing a line in the sand, but in short 5/5/3 is the superior build.
    • MarcusGraves
      MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
      Phaserhawk wrote:
      After this recent PvE, I can't believe I ever thought to only go 4 in blueflag.png That one less timer on the CD tile has saved me so many times I can't count. 5/5/3 is the only way to go, period, yeah that's right, I am drawing a line in the sand, but in short 5/5/3 is the superior build.

makes sense considering how dangerous and health pack consuming things like flamethrower, rocket and tommygun are, and lets not forget the super annoying morale boost, threaten or the **** damage amount of thug pistol which seems to use adamantium tipped bullets.....

1 turn makes a difference when it comes to goon fights
    • Even if you're just removing the strike tile from Phermone Rage 1 turn faster, it adds up to be a quite significant amount given how long fights in PvE tend to be, and of course there's no shortage of dangerous stuff that you need to remove in PvE.
    • Phaserhawk
      Falcon works amazing with Captain too. Get 5 blue quickly, then when Redwing goes out, use Cap's Peacemaker, Redwing and Peacemaker will return the same turn, assuming a 5/5/3 Falcon build, then you are ready to rinse and repeat the next turn, although once you get to 17 blue it won't matter, but learning to hold Caps shield for 1 turn is oh so powerful with Redwing.
    • I use Falcon with the Punisher a lot. Full rainbow, and between molotov cocktail, judgment, and bird strike there's usually something on the board for inspiration to work with. It probably isn't too great on defense, but it's a fun combo on offense that I don't see used too often.
    • I use Falcon with the Punisher a lot. Full rainbow, and between molotov cocktail, judgment, and bird strike there's usually something on the board for inspiration to work with. It probably isn't too great on defense, but it's a fun combo on offense that I don't see used too often.

Falcon + Punisher alone do not a "rainbow" make, since passives don't count. You still need to add someone like Cap or Panther for Yellow + Blue.
    • NorthernPolarity
      NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
      I use Falcon with the Punisher a lot. Full rainbow, and between molotov cocktail, judgment, and bird strike there's usually something on the board for inspiration to work with. It probably isn't too great on defense, but it's a fun combo on offense that I don't see used too often.

I tried this team out back in the day and its just way too slow. Inspiration plummets in value when judgement tiles get destroyed, if you get the matches in the wrong order (have to match yellow before you get tiles), theres 0 benefit, and by the time you get inspired strike / attack tiles, the match is already half over. It might be a marginally okay transition team, but it gets outclassed by Daken / Falcon way too hard, and is probably just inferior to Pun + another character instead.
    • To put things in perspective, assuming you have half of the green matches on the board, Falcon's inspiration is still stronger than pre nerf Daken's Phermone Rage once 3 strike tiles of any strength is on the board (Inspiration increase their strength by more than twice of Phermone Rage's value), and pre nerf Daken was someone who can kill most characters with just match damage.

But on the flip side, if you don't have those 3 strike tiles on the board then Falcon can't do anything at all, and without Daken the fastest way to put 3 strike tiles on board would be 8 green (Punisher) or possibly 6 green (Wolverine 2*, depending on how much red you have), and this also doesn't account for how to replace your strike tiles if they're destroyed for whatever reason.

Perhaps they can take a page out of Beast's ability and have him make a random special tile (attack/strike/protect) if there's less than 3 of them. The attack/protect tiles have way less value compared to strike so it should be pretty fair. It doesn't address the Daken issue, but it'd at least make him playable with other characters.
    • I am still kind of new to the game. I have been playing for maybe 3 months pretty regularly. My roster is set to 94s of Modern Hawkeye, 2* Thor, Storm, Ares, Human Torch and Black Widow. Then a 90 Psylocke, 74 Doctor Doom, 74 Furu, 66 3* Wolverine, 53 Hulk,50 1* Iron Man, 45 Black Panther, 43 Captain Marvel, 43 Falcon, 43 Sentry, 40 Beast, 40 3* Cap... basically. my question is. Is it worth it for me to push as hard as possible for a top 100 rank in the Storm event for another Falcon cover? I have one cover in both Redwing and Bird Strike currently. With my roster, how helpful would he be? Sorry for the long list of characters. I've basically been hoarding covers, I didn't even list all of them.
    • MarcusGraves
      TheLooch88 wrote:
      snip

-Inspiration: adding 94 to 3 attack/strike/protect ramps up very quickly. hit 3 strike tiles? well you just added +282 damage to your damage output which to put in perspective is like using a slightly weaker (difference of 84 points) max punisher judgement for free, neat right?

-Redwing: saves live, or in this game's case, health packs. that scary flamethrower CD tile? whoosh away it goes, or how about a tommygun CD tile? bye bye. that feathery SOB of yours will also take away 3* cap CD tiles. hulk anger tiles and even that brutal strength 674 sentry strike tile, well trained bird.
    • simonsez
      simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
      TheLooch88 wrote:
      Is it worth it for me to push as hard as possible for a top 100 rank in the Storm event for another Falcon cover?
      My answer would be, is there any reason not to?
    • Every blue skill's level of falcon will make the story events easier, so you have to get it if you can.
    • that feathery SOB of yours will also take away 3* cap CD tiles. hulk anger tiles.

There's usually no time to take away Hulk's anger tiles that your attack caused on your turn, because they will burst on the next Hulk turn.

If you can stun Hulk, or extend the countdown time, sure. Or if they were caused by a trap on the AI's turn. But for 99% of the cases, Falcon's bird is useless vs. Hulk's anger.
    • MarcusGraves
      kalirion wrote:
      that feathery SOB of yours will also take away 3* cap CD tiles. hulk anger tiles.

There's usually no time to take away Hulk's anger tiles that your attack caused on your turn, because they will burst on the next Hulk turn.

If you can stun Hulk, or extend the countdown time, sure. Or if they were caused by a trap on the AI's turn. But for 99% of the cases, Falcon's bird is useless vs. Hulk's anger.

that was my mistake, I did forget that part of anger, but yeah the passive is a fantastic life saver either way when maxed out
    • PuceMoose
      PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
      I really like Punisher + Falcon + Spiderman (161 Punisher (4/5/4), 180 Falcon (4/5/3), 161 Spiderman (4/4/5), that's my current team in the Falcon tournament.) You can kill off match damage to your team fast with a single purple and a single yellow match, and every purple match nets you immediate protection plus a possible big burst of protect tiles if you match enough purple. (It also makes me lament the change to classic magneto's purple skill; with a Spiderman + Classic Magneto combo, you were building toward an impressive nuke even as you were shielding your own team.) Or, land a Judgement and focus on yellow works well too - denying the opposing team their thunder strikes and battle plans while improving your own offense.

I've also used Punisher + Falcon + Black Panther to pretty good effect, though I usually take considerably more damage due to the much slower protect tiles from Defense Grid.
    • Phaserhawk
      Puce Moose wrote:
      I really like Punisher + Falcon + Spiderman (161 Punisher (4/5/4), 180 Falcon (4/5/3), 161 Spiderman (4/4/5), that's my current team in the Falcon tournament.) You can kill off match damage to your team fast with a single purple and a single yellow match, and every purple match nets you immediate protection plus a possible big burst of protect tiles if you match enough purple. (It also makes me lament the change to classic magneto's purple skill; with a Spiderman + Classic Magneto combo, you were building toward an impressive nuke even as you were shielding your own team.) Or, land a Judgement and focus on yellow works well too - denying the opposing team their thunder strikes and battle plans while improving your own offense.

I've also used Punisher + Falcon + Black Panther to pretty good effect, though I usually take considerably more damage due to the much slower protect tiles from Defense Grid.

Spiderman + Falcon is one of the most annoying strongest defensive builds in the game. Match purple a few times, match yellow, cast Falcon's purple, then sit back and chip away, very effective for saving health packs.
    • Phaserhawk wrote:
      Puce Moose wrote:

Spiderman + Falcon is one of the most annoying strongest defensive builds in the game. Match purple a few times, match yellow, cast Falcon's purple, then sit back and chip away, very effective for saving health packs.
      That combo must create the slowest offensive matches of all time.

Why would you want to muddle through PVP so miserably?

All you'd have is match damage.

That may be the worst combination of all time.