AI suggested move is sub-optimum

Options
Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
What's wrong with this picture?

21o07ro.jpg

That's right, it's suggesting I ignore the match-5 in a straight line that my maxed OBW will score a billion points on, and instead match TU.

No comment.

:edit: Oh dear, someone was a little naughty and changed the picture. I've reloaded it.

Comments

• That's funny. But I don't think this needs fixing. If the suggested move was always optimum, that would kind of take away from the strategy of the game. The suggested move is mainly there to help when you're struggling to find ANY matches, such as when only one move is possible.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That's funny. But I don't think this needs fixing. If the suggested move was always optimum, that would kind of take away from the strategy of the game. The suggested move is mainly there to help when you're struggling to find ANY matches, such as when only one move is possible.

Yes, and if the suggested move was always the best choice, you would just be on automatic pilot.
    It takes a few seconds for that to show up anyway, so if you really wanted that 5 match, not sure why you didn't just do it.

Sometimes I don't WANT to do the 4 or 5 match, like if I have a trap tile I want the enemy to match away... or if I really need some other color AP and have to roll the dice that I don't get clobbered as a result, although by making a different match you can reconfigure the board so that option isn't there on their turn.
  • When I'm sentry bombing, I like to leave a 4-match on the board if I can to keep the AI from eliminating my strike tile. It also works well with Ambush, though Daredevil got nerfed as badly as Patch did by the Magneto nerf.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't consider it a bug, but it's definitely technical. The suggestion never seems to be the best move, unless it's the only move.

There's no pattern I can discern, it's not the first move from the top, it's not the move that scores the most points, it just seems random.

But, I've never seen it suggest a match-5, and after noticing it a few times on my tablet I was looking for it to happen on my PC so that I could do a screenshot of it, and I wanted to share it. That's the main reason I didn't do the obvious match-5. And anyway, I don't play that fast.

My unfounded belief is that the suggestion is a distraction, "don't look over there, look here", and is designed solely to cause me to have to buy health packs. The health pack reference is a joke, by the way.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a long-standing Puzzle Quest tradition. All the way back to the first DS game, you'd better believe that if there are two matches available and one of them is glowing, you'll regret picking the shiny one.