Steam users lossing their data and accounts being reset

Options
Hello, I would like to report a bug with steam the last few weeks that has caused several users, myself included, to be randomly reset when we log in. The box that says that cloud data could be lost if you play the game did NOT pop up and the game loaded just fine without any problems. But! When the game loaded it went straight to the beginning and my entire account had been reset. I really hope this is being looked into and I would greatly appreciate if my account could be recovered and not only that, but I also hope that none of my event rewards are lost because of this. I was in 14th place in Predator and Prey last night when I logged off to go to bed.

Thank you,

Vertu Honagan.

Comments

• Did your issue get resolved? I'm a Steam player too, so I'd like to know what happened.
  • This is on going it happened to me in the beginning of the summer. You need to create a support ticket, and eventually they will get back to you and restore your save. (no idea about pending rewards). I recommend turning off cloud save for this game if you do not use it on multiple devices. The sync can take a while to start and launching the game while syncing is what causes the corruption.
  • SiaSacham
    Options
    Same just happened to me yesterday! All my game completely lost! There is hours in there and I was finally so close to get competitive and now it's all lost, just on the end of an event where i was finally having some decent placing! And no news for D3 about that...
  • I did actually get my account back. Thanks for the advice on the cloud part though Combatbeast. I might try turning that off. icon_e_smile.gif
  • This is on going it happened to me in the beginning of the summer. You need to create a support ticket, and eventually they will get back to you and restore your save. (no idea about pending rewards). I recommend turning off cloud save for this game if you do not use it on multiple devices. The sync can take a while to start and launching the game while syncing is what causes the corruption.
    How do you turn off cloud saving and does it have any disadvantages? Doesn't cloud save means you'll have a save online? What if the save file on your system is borked? Maybe you couldn't get your save back then. I don't know how this works.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    How do you turn off cloud saving and does it have any disadvantages? Doesn't cloud save means you'll have a save online? What if the save file on your system is borked? Maybe you couldn't get your save back then. I don't know how this works.
    Yes on all three; it has disadvantages, namely that you lose the copy of your save that is stored online with Valve, meaning that you lose everything when your system goes down or the save on your system is corrupted.

Iirc Valve actually added a little something to Steam recently that prevents a game from starting until any pending sync operations it has are completed. If syncing was to blame for this problem, then it should no longer be capable of occuring now. As it is still occuring, that leads me to believe syncing isn't to blame.
  • Thanks for the info; just had this problem when I started up today.

Booted up into the first doom match with iron man.