Character rankings 9/14 edition: voting ended

Comments

• mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    JesseRich wrote:
    Is today the day that the results will be posted? I'm anxious to see these results. If you need assistance with any of the vote counting or character write ups, I am happy to help. Let's get these results posted!!!
    I offered to help, and did, giving a week of my time to get these posted sooner than later. That was on September 29th. It's over a month later now and these still haven't been posted. I am confused, disappointed and a bit upset. I feel like I wasted my time.
  • JesseRich wrote:
    Is today the day that the results will be posted? I'm anxious to see these results. If you need assistance with any of the vote counting or character write ups, I am happy to help. Let's get these results posted!!!
    I offered to help, and did, giving a week of my time to get these posted sooner than later. That was on September 29th. It's over a month later now and these still haven't been posted. I am confused, disappointed and a bit upset. I feel like I wasted my time.

"Over a month ago"... Sept 29th was only 16 days ago???
  • I think He means since the voted started. And clearly Magneto (Classic) lost the throne, that's the only known fact. icon_lol.gif
  • Well, I for one am outraged, that someone taking on a huge work assignment voluntarily and for no compensation is taking a little longer than I would like for something. I think we should all demand our money back from mischiefmaker.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Kryztoff46 wrote:
    I think He means since the voted started

Yes that is what I meant, thanks for clearing that up.

I would like my time back is all, seems like I wasted it.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Well, I for one am outraged, that someone taking on a huge work assignment voluntarily and for no compensation is taking a little longer than I would like for something. I think we should all demand our money back from mischiefmaker.

d340w.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker
  • The most bizarre part about this? The entire metagame is so fundamentally warped by sentry bombing that in a few weeks, the list runs the risk of being virtually meaningless. icon_lol.gif
  • Hey folks, sincere apologies. I'm making progress on these but the last few weeks have been pretty hectic both in-game (yay anniversary content!) and in real life, so I've had to put some things on the back burner. Unfortunately that includes writeups. I'm aware that this means the list will likely be outdated by the time it arrives but I'm hoping that there will be enough fun/useful content to make that tradeoff worthwhile.

HawkeyeSucks, I'm very sorry that you're disappointed -- I know you've put a lot of work into your contribution and I do appreciate it.

Everyone else, hang tight! Results are coming, I promise. And once I get this version out the door I'll be soliciting some opinions on how we can make the rankings more sustainable, so if this is a thing you care about having in the future, please do weigh in.

Thanks much for all the kind words and appreciation! That's the stuff that keeps me motivated.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey folks, sincere apologies. I'm making progress on these but the last few weeks have been pretty hectic both in-game (yay anniversary content!) and in real life, so I've had to put some things on the back burner. Unfortunately that includes writeups. I'm aware that this means the list will likely be outdated by the time it arrives but I'm hoping that there will be enough fun/useful content to make that tradeoff worthwhile.

HawkeyeSucks, I'm very sorry that you're disappointed -- I know you've put a lot of work into your contribution and I do appreciate it.

Everyone else, hang tight! Results are coming, I promise. And once I get this version out the door I'll be soliciting some opinions on how we can make the rankings more sustainable, so if this is a thing you care about having in the future, please do weigh in.

Thanks much for all the kind words and appreciation! That's the stuff that keeps me motivated.

Like I said earlier, feel free to copy paste any of my write-ups and modify them to your hearts content if that makes your life easier.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    You may as well put out results for Yelena / Bagman, just to get things started. It's not really worthwhile doing a big write-up on those two.
  • You may as well put out results for Yelena / Bagman, just to get things started. It's not really worthwhile doing a big write-up on those two.

Actually the big news for this iteration was that those two finished first and second in voting.

The other piece of big news was that there was a problem with the new survey program.

These two pieces of news may be connected.
  • Pwuz_
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    You may as well put out results for Yelena / Bagman, just to get things started. It's not really worthwhile doing a big write-up on those two.

Actually the big news for this iteration was that those two finished first and second in voting.

The other piece of big news was that there was a problem with the new survey program.

These two pieces of news may be connected.

Ah, the mystery thickens.

I assume that the data calculation is the most difficult part. The write ups (while time consuming) are much easier I assume. Perhaps if a few dedicated members could volunteer to work on a chunk of the meme's and write ups. Perhaps dividing them up even before the voting is finished. The actual rankings don't really change the strengths and weaknesses of each character as well as any potential pairings. Once the results are tallied, a single person or two should be able to edit them to tie them all together.

I would also recommend that only those players who have max level characters in their current line-up should be doing the write-ups for each character (might be hard to find someone to write up Bagman or Yellena.)
  • IMHO even if the Ranking is outdated, I'll still enyoing it just like the last one, just because it'll have memes... it'll have memes, right?
    Anyway I really say thanks. The last one helped me a lot with the manage of ISO, HP etc.

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR TIME AND DEDICATION!!!! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • If you want help with the writeups, I can help. I know most of the cast pretty well. I'd _love_ to do the Sentry write-up. Hell, I'll do it right now.
    Okay, seriously, who else was this going to be? Sentry is good. Really, ridiculously, stupidly good. How good is Sentry? Well, to put it in context, when Sentry gets nerfed in a few days, about half of this list will be all but completely irrelevant. That's how good sentry is. The Wiki has this as one of the notes for the character: "With one maxed Sacrifice strike tile, a maxed World Rupture does 11568 damage to the enemy team, plus possible match damage."
    ...Keep in mind that at the moment, the character with the most health in the game is Hulk. With a whopping 11475.

The practice of Sentry Bombing essentially defines the metagame - a way to end matches in under 3 turns and under 30 seconds completely breaks the game. Which characters are good? Past 1000 it doesn't matter - you see Hood and Sentry because everything else is too slow. Is XForce a monster? Is Thor a powerhouse? It doesn't matter - Sentry/Hood is faster; they might as well not exist once you hit 1k points. Sentry is slated to be nerfed soon, and after that the question of relevance is back open.

What else is there to say about Sentry? He has premium health (fourth-best in the game after Hulk, Devil Dino, and Xforce, tied with Super Thor), World Rupture deals pretty great damage for 7AP even without strike tiles (almost 2.8k), Supernova is a really powerful AOE nuke for only 11AP (10.5k total), and Sacrifice is one of the meatiest strike tiles in the game. Get rid of sentry bombing and Sentry is still an absolute monster of a character. But with sentry bombing, Sentry is a force that completely defines the metagame. Being able to do 10k AOE damage on turn 3 or 4 is broken. Enjoy him while you can - let's hope he turns out more like C.Mags than like Ragnarok.
  • The new survey website makes it easier than the last one, longest part is the write-ups. What could possibly take so long? My guess work, real life, final push of season, placing well in anniversary week, and lightning rounds.
  • I would also offer my services if you're looking for help. I don't post much and I'm not exactly in 3 star territory (just now moving into it, need a bit more iso) but I'll do what I can.
  • I just wanted to say that I love the write-ups and the reference as to where the best and brightest think the game is headed. I'm excited to see the results and to laugh my head off at the writing.

Take all the time you need. When I'm getting a gift from someone, I don't complain if it takes a while to show up in my mailbox.
  • I love these write up too but I think maybe we should do another round of voting. That way the rankings will be current, you could use the write ups you have already done, and people aren't going to be looking for a new list in November.
  • Pwuz_
    jimmyjames wrote:
    I love these write up too but I think maybe we should do another round of voting. That way the rankings will be current, you could use the write ups you have already done, and people aren't going to be looking for a new list in November.

Sadly, that's been the case for EVERY set of votes that have been done. I'd even go as far as to say there really have not been as many GAME CHANGING updates since these as the last set.

Since June we have had:
    Team Ups replacing Environment Tiles.
    A slew of abilities changing due to Team Ups.
    More characters unrepresented in the June ranking.
    R60 update (buffs & nerfs a plenty.)

What has happened since the voting closed?
    Well, we got to play with 4* Thor, Devil Dino, Doc Ock, and I don't recall if Colossus was included in the vote or not.
  • Colossus missed the cutoff IIRC