The Hulk Event - An FAQ

Comments

• Hoodoo wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

I suspect so it's easier to get 600/800 in the next sub-event.

That's not actually challenging regardless of how well you did in previous ones though.. as far as I can tell : icon_lol.gif

It's plenty challenging, maybe even impossible, if you're say in the top 10 overall score leader on the 'easy' sub-bracket.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    If your total points are high enough, sometimes it becomes downright impossible to place even top 800 in a sub-bracket due to rubberbanding, and presumably you want to at least walk away with a heroic token out of every sub-bracket unless you've some very different criteria on what's valuable. For a point of reference, I placed top 4, top 100, top 800, top 800, and likely top 800 X 2 and my overall placement is 131st right now. As you can see, it's taking quite a few top 800 placements to undo the first top 4, and my overall placement is certanly quite high. I estimated I was doing about 1.5 out of the 3 full cycles of available missions (1 cycle defined as grinding everything to 0 whenever possible), so it's not exactly trivial work to even finish top 800. So if instead of getting top 800 I got say top 200 in one of the bracket, that means I'd have to grind that much harder in another bracket to even finish top 800.

Mind you, you shouldn't tank to the point where you'd miss the red Punisher cover (50K) or top 1500 overall ranking, but as my numbers show, I'm trying to tank and still within top 300 easily, so there's no reason to work extra hard because that only means I've to work even harder later on another sub-bracket. At some point you'll have to grind to make a push for the 50K for the red Punisher cover, but certainly not at where the total point is still less than 2K for the overall leader.
    There was a good post about "leapfroging rubberbanding" and how if you grind early, you retain some sort of advantage in keeping in a high rank RE: the hunt aftermath, but I can't find it. It was in the last few days of one of the hulk threads.

And yeah as one of the 70 or so who hit 50k at the end of the last hulk, even with 2 full deletions I just couldn't even manage the regular heroic token levels in the last couple sets of sub brackets
  • This is a great writeup -- thanks. It's also worth really emphasizing that the last 2-3 days of the event matter much, much more than the first part, if you're looking to be as efficient as possible. For the first Hulk event, I was pretty diligent about doing the sub-events for the first half of it, and was consistently in the top 500-1000 range (I just started ~3 weeks ago so I can't really beat the very toughest missions yet), but then on the last full day of events I was traveling for most of the day and only managed a single partial clear during that 24 hour window. That dropped me from top 1000 to barely in the top 3000 overall, and of course the 12-hour finale didn't really provide any means of catching up.

So if you know for sure you're going to have a conflict that will prevent you from playing much during the final day (i.e. the period between 36 hours and 12 hours prior to the end), don't get your hopes up about achieving a top ranking, and you can probably slack accordingly.
  • In terms of overall placement, the rubberbanding ensures that no lead is enough to last against inactivity. You simply can't walk away from the game and still be anywhere near competitive. It should be pretty obvious looking at how the point totals jump day to day to see that no lead is ever safe to walk away from. This doesn't mean grinding early on is useless, since the sub-brackets have decent rewards, and I'm sure most people (including me) found out how far away that last 500 points is when you're trying to hit 50K, though certainly it's preferable to grind hard late in the tournament than early in the tournament.
  • Nemek wrote:
    First time you beat it: 100 points
    Second: 60
    Third: 40
    Fourth: 20
    Fifth: 10
    Sixth: 0
    Nope, not for me. Every time I unlock a sub-event, the first time I beat it is always 4-7 points. And they NEVER refresh for me, 8 or 12 hours. Do you know why this is?

By the way, the first Hulk event worked normally for me, with first time beating it 100-200 points with refreshing. But I'm not sure why it's not doing the same for me this time around.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Nope, not for me. Every time I unlock a sub-event, the first time I beat it is always 4-7 points. And they NEVER refresh for me, 8 or 12 hours. Do you know why this is?

By the way, the first Hulk event worked normally for me, with first time beating it 100-200 points with refreshing. But I'm not sure why it's not doing the same for me this time around.

That was just an example. Scores were much lower at the beginning last time as well.
  • Nemek wrote:

Right now none of the missions are worth that much. The current highest point mission is "A Score to Settle" in W Sahara for all of 20 pts (no rubber banding). They won't increase dramatically in points until after Hulk switches sides.

And if you don't exhaust them down to 0 then it may not look like they ever refresh.

As for sub bracket placement -- highest I've gotten is top 25 or 50; but I'm top 200 and top 50 right now and top 40ish when the subs end in the main bracket. That'll stop at some point -- rubber banding will keep me from doing well in the subs. But that will be late in the event. For low/mid players it may make sense, in many ways, to aim for sub placement. For upper tier players it doesn't.
  • Just posting to say that the community needs more players like Nemek. Well done! The effort put into this just to help out the general community bodes well for the game.

Off for some partying, and will be back in the game soon.

Happy New Year all! icon_e_smile.gif Grab some ***s while at it!
  • nice post nemek!!!
    But still there might some incorrect information based on every individual... i calculate 8 hours of refresh and constantly check it every hour... sometimes it only refresh after 10 hours or so... and it just only one sub event that retain back to 20 point which require punisher while other sub mission still 1 point or even 0 points...
    i been completing with the leader in the bracket but it seen he earn more point than me every refresh... finally it still clueless how the system works.. icon_question.gif
    so it might be true no matter how hard you grind you will eventually still fail to catch up due to how the system work icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif
  • Fantastic FAQ, even though I did finish in top 300 last Hulk event, I learned quite a bit extra from this FAQ! Thanks so much!
  • 4 events up. 2 sightings and 2 stashes. Are we way off the pace from last time, or did those open in error? I thought we didn't have 4 at a time until after Hulk had been recruited before.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Misguided wrote:
    4 events up. 2 sightings and 2 stashes. Are we way off the pace from last time, or did those open in error? I thought we didn't have 4 at a time until after Hulk had been recruited before.

Did you sneak in the free hulk mission at the very beginning?

Doesn't look like the stash sub-events are actually active.
  • I only see two sub events. I did not get the extra cover when it was up by mistake.
  • Wait so some people have four sub-events open right now?
  • Nemek wrote:
    Did you sneak in the free hulk mission at the very beginning?

Yup. That would seem to imply it is still flagged as being completed and can probably not be completed again, unless they reset the flag when we hit 50 mil.
  • jozier wrote:
    Wait so some people have four sub-events open right now?

I have 4 events because I grabbed hulk early. Guess that answers the question of whether I'll be able to do that mission again.

On another note, are we going up in points slower this time? Seems to me that we were much further along last time. If so that would give us even less of a chance to cross 50k... icon_e_sad.gif
  • jozier wrote:

I have 4 events because I grabbed hulk early. Guess that answers the question of whether I'll be able to do that mission again.

Just to be clear, is it 4 fights in the main event AND 4 sub events?
  • Got early hulk, did 4 main events but only 2 sub brackets opened.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    jozier wrote:

On another note, are we going up in points slower this time? Seems to me that we were much further along last time. If so that would give us even less of a chance to cross 50k... icon_e_sad.gif

I think we're slightly behind. We opened it during this segment, but I think pretty early on in it.
  • If i remember correctly Recruit Hulk thing happened with 1 day 22 hours left on this cycle. So eah I think we are significantly behind this time