Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) - 2*

Comments

• What FierceKiwi MEANT to say was, thanks for taking the time to post these spoilers! It's a nice gesture to show some thought for the forumites. Try to get 3*/4* spoilers next time though, since I think most of us are past the 2* transition icon_e_wink.gif.

Oh, and thanks for the advanced information.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her red and yellow are both pretty terrible (pending the yellow scaling up really high with covers), don't get me wrong, but there's a very lonely niche in 2* labeled "Black Spenders" and the fact that she has what looks like a good one (9 AP minimum for an AOE that can double dip ain't bad) is going to make her fairly usable if it levels up well.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the info Dave!

Her Yellow could make for a fun pairing with cMags.

Not enough TU tiles you say? Add more. Then BOOM! The cascades could be fun to watch.

Probably not particularly effective in PvP, but a fun experiment in PvE.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    She sounds like fun, and a good addition to the ** world. I could see her, obw, and axm on a team or something.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    I guess we'll have to see how those abilities level up but so far they're pretty underwhelming. And Unstable ISO-8? UGH the worst none-Heroic PvE there is.
    Think about it as an hp/ISO farm with all those subs. You can easily rack up 100+ hp per day if you're smart about joining and how you play.
  • The advantage is, she's just a 2*, so there's very little pressure to get her covers in the event, since they'll be handed out like candy in PVP & LRs about two weeks later. All you need is one cover for the inevitable essential nodes.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    mohio wrote:
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    I guess we'll have to see how those abilities level up but so far they're pretty underwhelming. And Unstable ISO-8? UGH the worst none-Heroic PvE there is.
    Think about it as an hp/ISO farm with all those subs. You can easily rack up 100+ hp per day if you're smart about joining and how you play.

Wrong PVE Unstalbe ISO-8 is the 6 day event that's all on the main with rotating nodes every 24ish hours. ISO-8 Brotherhood is the one with tons of subs and lots of HP as a result. I like ISO-8 Brotherhood for just that reason it's tons of HP even with awful rewards I look forward to it. Even with great rewards I dread Unstable ISO-8.

EDIT: They may have made changes that make the event less horrible (like they did last time for TaT) so maybe it'll be better this time around.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    We'll see how the damage on her abilities scales.

My guess? She'll fit right in as a Torch alternative on the 2* level, with a much stronger black but a much weaker red. Her yellow will be mostly useless in a color dominated by Thor and Ares. Hopefully, she'll have beefed-up HP similar to her 3* version, and thus be better defensively than Torch (although her yellow ability is weak for defense).

I suppose she'll also be super situational as a Bullseye counter.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]She'll be a reward for our next PVE Event, "Unstable Iso-8," starting on October 17th (running for 7 days).

Urgh... please tell me Demiurge has retooled that despicable wart of an event...

Undoubtedly, the event will end at a US-friendly time when introducing a new character (like every new character introduction the game has ever had).
    With no subs and a strong rubberband that pretty much means I might as well not even try to compete for covers, as it will all be down to those final hours again. If this has an unreachable 3* top progression reward again as well, I might just forsake the event entirely. (And if PvP offers nothing of substance; I might just kick the habit for a week.)
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her Red will be a good 1*/2* answer to Bullseye (and Spider-Man), which can be a difficult opponent to overwhelm in PvEs for newer players. Other than that, you're basically stuck with Storm's Green which is a good ability, but not dependable for that use. Yes, Bullseye isn't a problem character, and he's not used a lot in PvP, but he's in enough Prologue and PvE nodes that I would consider him a nuisance to new players and this is certainly a good thing for them.

Good Black abilities, let alone AoEs in general, are pretty lacking in 2* world, so that's a nice addition. Plus, as mentioned, double dipping is cool. Black Widow and Torch are the only one's that come to mind as viable Black abilities in that range. It'll depend on it's scaling whether it's useful or not, in the long haul.

Her Yellow is probably the most situational, in my opinion, but honestly, there's not a lot of usable Yellows in that range. There's, of course, Ares and Thor, but other than that there is two Passives (Wolverine and Storm) and Iron Man's Armored Assault. It's not great, but it's a utility ability, it's not supposed to be great. This will likely be her three cover ability.

A lot will depend also, on how much health she has. If they give her a glass cannon body, she probably won't get much play, but if she's pretty tanky like her 3* incarnation, then I could see her filling a pseudo-support role in the 1*-2* range. She won't be a mainstay for certain, but she won't be horrible.

I see her playing well with Wolverine for double dipping on Strike Tiles (and making use Yellows matched up for his Passive). I see her working well with Black Widow by using up Blacks matched for her Passive (and if she gets a -1 AP through covers, she can fire after two matches, instead of three). She'll work well with Daken for both the aforementioned reasons. Her color coverage is pretty good for that range too, since Black and Yellow are pretty underrepresented.

Marvel/Wolverine/Widow & Marvel/Wolverine/Daken & Marvel/Daken/Widow are three completely viable teams for prolonged play.

Unfortunately, she'll find no room in Ares or Thor teams, because of Sunder and Thunder Strike really just being better Yellows, and Rampage and Mjolnir's Might being overall more flexible, plus the added bonuses of Onslaught and Call of the Storm.

In summary, I feel like she'll find a place in sustained play teams versus the brute force compositions (i.e. PvE rather than PvP).
  • Really hoping that yellow levels. At 1 more yellow, 9 AP Storm gets 6 team-up AP and removes it from the board sometimes causing cascades. 5 placed team-up are far less likely to cause cascades. Further, team-up drops are really low right now.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    She's had some details added. I'll change the OP and get a poll up.
  • I'm hoping they fix her "I'm poopin!" expression on this one.
  • If anyone was worried about how they would use their extra Iso earned this week, now you know !

Dino, Lady Thor and Ms Marvel within a week. Wow !

Will keep us busy but I like it.

Thank you David for posting some hints about her. That's exactly what we like.

Please David (or IceIx), could you please explain to us why you do not change the PvE grids or structures ? Is it because it is a lot of work to create new ones or change them or because the existing ones are popular among the guys who are not on the forum (since this seems to be an explanation).

You do not owe any explanations, but I'm sure if you explained things more to the forumites, there would less bashing.

It seems we do not follow the logics of your mass-customers, so we could get some explanations, and I'm sure we would understand and change our minds.

There's too much misunderstanding.

HailMary : yes, this is me. No one hacked my body and soul. You're not daydreaming... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Trisul
    edited October 2014
    Can you clarify what you mean by "PvE grids or structures"?
    arktos1971 wrote:
    ... because it is a lot of work to create new ones or change them ...
    Probably this.
  • Too bad her yellow is random and not selectable. I would rather it have that added effect of creating a critical if you forget to bring a team-up with you....or if you happen to bring MHawkeye...
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm hoping they fix her "I'm poopin!" expression on this one.

I'm sure they meant to list her powers as the following:
    Photonic ****- Red 7 AP
    Sonic Poo - Black 9 AP
    Strategic Commode - Yellow 8 AP
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    I've updated the Ms. Marvel character page and added a poll for her best build.
  • Trisul
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I'm hoping they fix her "I'm poopin!" expression on this one.
    Doesn't seem that likely since IceIX already posted that portrait preview, but here's hoping.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    If her yellow scales like Thor's, it'll reliably create or set up criticals at high levels even without targeting. And creating five targeted tiles would be pretty damn OP for a level 1 power...