*** Daken (Classic) ***

Comments

• Hhmm, so except for the change in strongest color, and lowering some damage per strike tile, nothing else is changed for 3* daken right ? Still useful as before ? I never really played him due to insufficient covers.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hannybal wrote:
    Hhmm, so except for the change in strongest color, and lowering some damage per strike tile, nothing else is changed for 3* daken right ? Still useful as before ? I never really played him due to insufficient covers.

The change of color strength and strike tiles strength have, imho, significantly nerf him.

In the past he will tank green, and you can keep him in front while gathering green for COTS or other green damage moves. Now he no longer tank green, so the green user will take damage. This means that ldaken primary purpose of saving health packs, is affected.

Also, the reduction of the strike tiles strength have reduced the attack power of the team. In the past, I think I only need 2 or 3 green matches to hit 1k match dmg (not calculation,just gut feel so correct me if I am wrong). Now I think I need 2 more matches to hit 1k... that's quite a nerf imo.

Regardless, I think the nerf is still a good step. Ldaken core strength of regeneration remains. His strike tiles was nerf so he doesn't help with quicker wins; but I would still use him as long as he helps to conserve health packs.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I absolutely agree on the color switch, as annoying and **** as it is, it was needed because of the brokeness of what it could do. Take no damage and then unleash hell. At least this puts your primary green user in harms way which is fair IMO. As for the tile strength reduction, yeah he had it coming, people forget that is free damage on the board that can come from either you or your opponent. If Punisher is the epitome of balance, it takes Punisher 8AP so probably 3 matches to generate 366 tile damage, at 3 tile matches Daken would have 384 strike tiles worth of damage on the board, and it cost him NOTHING!!!!! That is where the issue lies, so currently Daken would now have 276 damage on the board after 3 green matches. That's about 25% less than Punisher, that's kinda fair. I"m sure somewhere there is a more optimal number, but all these changes do is bring Daken from overpowered to balanced. Now if they can just figured out how to nerf Sentry without killing him, we'll be heading in the right direction.

Also for those who claim that D3 doesn't know what they are doing. It's not by chance that Daken is in tile strength Black/Purple/Blue. It keeps him from being able to tank for Fury, Falcon, Hood and Psylocke on blue, for Fury and Deadpool on purple. Had they made him Blue/Purple/Black we would have had a whole other problem on our hands with him tanking for Fury, Psylocke, Hood, Panther, Falcon, and Deadpool and it would have switched one problem with another.
  • Whenever I use chemical reaction it drains red ap. I was using psylocke and had 8 red ap ready for psychic knife, used chemical reaction to knock out strike tiles when I noticed my ap decreased
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psylocke's "Psychic Knife" cost varies - it gets cheaper if there are 1,2 or 3 friendly Red Strike tiles in play.
    Chemical Reaction removes friendly strike tiles. This increases the cost of the skill. No Red AP was drained.
  • Thank you. I guess that shows how much I use psylocke. Lol
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psilock red uses less red AP when more strike tiles. Dakens ability decreases strike tiles. U may have seen thid as a bug
  • FOADakaSquirrelBoy
    FOADakaSquirrelBoy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    So, about that cover. Did the guy who drew it ever see a real fist? I sort of have to presume he was able to make one himself. Maybe he should have done that at least once while attempting to scribble one?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if the build voting for 2* and 3* will eventually align.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if the build voting for 2* and 3* will eventually align.

I think the fact that 2* Daken can only produce 1 strike tile will make it so the don't align. With LDaken since you can get 2 strike tiles it feels like it is a major upgrade over 2. Also in 2* land You only have OBW and CStorm for blue abilities. This makes 2* Daken a much stronger blue character. I like the fact that they are different and can play differently compared to the other Lazy characters.
  • Isn't that poll out of order? It's purpleflag.png / blackflag.png / blueflag.png not blackflag.png / purpleflag.png / blueflag.png .

Also why do the polls use purpletile.png and not purpleflag.png ?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    1. Isn't that poll out of order? It's purpleflag.png / blackflag.png / blueflag.png not blackflag.png / purpleflag.png / blueflag.png .

2. Also why do the polls use purpletile.png and not purpleflag.png ?

1. Eventually they'll fix the characters so that their tile damage colors match their ability colors. That's why I was careful to include the colors.

2. It's shorter
  • Sure, but there's a bunch of whitespace to the right of the poll option anyway, at least on my screen. Flags would look better.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    1. Isn't that poll out of order? It's purpleflag.png / blackflag.png / blueflag.png not blackflag.png / purpleflag.png / blueflag.png .

2. Also why do the polls use purpletile.png and not purpleflag.png ?

1. Eventually they'll fix the characters so that their tile damage colors match their ability colors. That's why I was careful to include the colors.

2. It's shorter

I disagree with the arrangement of the poll to align with strike power. If anything the powers are listed in order of their importance or how they define the character. The first power is generally the major attack power thus usually aligns up with their attack colours, but not always. The third power is more often a support power, but not necessarily their weakest colour.
    Purple at 5 is a must for LDaken, not so for TDaken, precisely because of Chemical Reaction. Before, it might have been debatable depending on play style.
  • inEden
    inEden Posts: 41
    Are certain covers for a character rarer than the other abilities?

I don't even have one Daken black cover. I want to use him but the black cover quest is driving me nuts.

I guess if I buy that daily token for 100 hp, the probability of getting a C Daken cover is .8% /.7% I think. Then if the covers are handed out equal probability, then the chance of me getting a black Daken cover is .267%/.233%?

My maths may be wrong but if it isn't then that is very small. That's one black cover in 375/430 tokens.

I think I am going nuts. That can't be right.
  • inEden wrote:
    Are certain covers for a character rarer than the other abilities?

I don't even have one Daken black cover. I want to use him but the black cover quest is driving me nuts.

I guess if I buy that daily token for 100 hp, the probability of getting a C Daken cover is .8% /.7% I think. Then if the covers are handed out equal probability, then the chance of me getting a black Daken cover is .267%/.233%?

My maths may be wrong but if it isn't then that is very small. That's one black cover in 375/430 tokens.

I think I am going nuts. That can't be right.

If you're going to try your luck with tokens, buy the anniversary daily deals at 50 hero points instead for this week. I can't say certain covers are more rare but I've played for nearly a year and certain colors seem to be more common for some characters.
  • inEden
    I feel the same. Could just be random luck but I feel that the best ability of characters are rarer than their other ones. I think that is reflected in the prizes given out in events.

For example if you place 50-25 you get a black cover. If you get 25-15 you get a red cover. If you get 15-5 you get a black and a red cover and 5-2 is red, black and green. I've always viewed that as the ranking of rarity of the covers for a particular character and which of their abilities are more coveted than others.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    inEden wrote:
    I feel the same. Could just be random luck but I feel that the best ability of characters are rarer than their other ones. I think that is reflected in the prizes given out in events.

For example if you place 50-25 you get a black cover. If you get 25-15 you get a red cover. If you get 15-5 you get a black and a red cover and 5-2 is red, black and green. I've always viewed that as the ranking of rarity of the covers for a particular character and which of their abilities are more coveted than others.
    I believe that the colors for prizes rotate evenly, so while mid-rotation there is a small imbalance, yes. But it's not based on how "good" a skill is, but likely random.
  • inEden
    I see. I haven't been playing long enough to see the rotations.
  • inEden wrote:

It's random. My dumbass brother who practically doesn't play has a 1-5-0 hood.