*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

Comments

• themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Used him for the first time, i only have his green cover so i can't make a judgement on his other powers but not only is his green awful at level 1 but the animation is just horrendous in my opinion, thank god ill never be using his green ability again cos i shudder everytime that small black screen pops up

So your level 40 0/0/1 3* is ****? Didn't see that coming.

Hahahaha no that's not what I meant sorry if it seems like I was complaining that he was bad at that level. I was just saying that from trying his green for the first time it's pretty useless. Whereas most characters can get usage out of a power at only level 1 eg IM40, All of Punishers powers, all of deadpools powers. They at least help in a battle a little at a low level. It's not a complaint it's more an observation. Merely saying if anything that even when boosted I don't think a low level green is gonna do anything for you, whereas a low level Molotov cocktail boosted might.
  • themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Also didn't get a black cover missed out by only a couple places icon_cry.gif is the animation really worse than the green? icon_e_surprised.gif
  • Really liking his black ability.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    locked wrote:
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    So does Insult to Injury create a tile (like Hulk) or only overwrites available tiles (like Daken)?
    Hulk created Anger tiles? Never noticed that. I did notice that enemy Hulk once failed to Anger due to the board not having any basic black tiles.

Yeah, I guess not. Just always thought the popped up if triggered. My bad
  • Just played him in the intro Prodigal Sun node. He's definitely Goonsbane, his black and blue powers are quite powerful when covered/buffed.
  • Yes, he was quite fun to use against Hammer goons.

Also, I really don't understand what the complaints about his animations are about. They seem fine to me. I like the mechanical sound effects.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    DocOck / Falcon / Captain Marvel might be an interesting team.

Gives special tiles to opponent, creates special tiles when those or others are removed, upgrades special tiles, multiple stuns.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961

Gives special tiles to opponent, creates special tiles when those or others are removed, upgrades special tiles, multiple stuns.
    No good red, no good blue, no good green, no good purple, no yellow... Hmmm.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:

Too slow in practice Nonce, although I like your thinking. C. Marvs takes 9 black ap to give the opponent a SINGLE strike tile. Then you have to pray that you can match the strike tile you give them, and then your falcon's boosting 2 attack tiles say 7 turns later? Why go through all that trouble when you can Daken + Sentry. Matching 1 green into 1 yellow probably does more than that entire convoluted sequence of Marvs into Doc Ock into Falcon.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:

Too slow in practice Nonce, although I like your thinking. C. Marvs takes 9 black ap to give the opponent a SINGLE strike tile. Then you have to pray that you can match the strike tile you give them, and then your falcon's boosting 2 attack tiles say 7 turns later? Why go through all that trouble when you can Daken + Sentry. Matching 1 green into 1 yellow probably does more than that entire convoluted sequence of Marvs into Doc Ock into Falcon.

Admittedly it works much better against goons and teams that make lots of special tiles. Making a good team out of top tier characters is easy.

Colossus / Falcon / DocOck might be good against teams that make special tiles. But useless against those that don't. Situational paralysis.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Two notes about the passive ability:
    1) If you match multiple special tiles in a single match, it only triggers once.
    2) Only special tiles directly in the match count. If you make a 4-match with the special tile somewhere else in the cleared row/column, that will not trigger Insult to Injury.

Both of these make sense given the wording of the power, but I could see players misinterpreting the text and being surprised.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler

If the goal is to give the opponent special tiles, Patch would probably work much better than Captain Marvel.

BR -> Match purple ->Attack tile hits with BR strike tiles. As long as there's a match 3 purple on the board, that's pretty much a guaranteed 4k damage for 9 green.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    **Apparently Sandmaker had the same idea ^**

He might be a good pair with Patch in PvE as an anti-goon squad.

Patch throws down the Strike Tiles and the Doc gets rid of timers, adds Attack Tiles and the enemy Strike Tiles.

I'll have to test it out this PvE and see if it works. Granted my Doc is 1/1/2.
  • ZeiramMR wrote:
    Two notes about the passive ability:
    1) If you match multiple special tiles in a single match, it only triggers once.
    2) Only special tiles directly in the match count. If you make a 4-match with the special tile somewhere else in the cleared row/column, that will not trigger Insult to Injury.

Both of these make sense given the wording of the power, but I could see players misinterpreting the text and being surprised.

2) makes me especially sad. D3 needs to just decide one way or the other if those tiles are "matched" or "destoryed" in the match 4s. Certain characters go certain ways on that and it's annoying that it's not consistent.

Also of note, His blue hitting a tile does not trigger black either, nor does his green destroying a random CD. Kinda expected green, but I was hoping blue would.

The animation before the attack tiles gets generated is going to get really annoying really fast. It's super long.
  • orionpeace wrote:

Patch throws down the Strike Tiles and the Doc gets rid of timers, adds Attack Tiles and the enemy Strike Tiles.

Regardless of effectiveness of the char, he matches well with Logan.
  • orionpeace wrote:

Patch/Falcon/Ock is pretty fun in this pve
  • In agreement that his black animation is too slow. Was cool the first 3 times. After awhile was thinking "Get on with it!" Needs to be closer to Daken's speed.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Is Doc Ock's blueflag.png supposed to cause damage for each swap? Or only if it involves attack tiles? Cause i used his blue a few times but no damage was done (no attack tiles present on board)
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Oldboy wrote:
    Is Doc Ock's blueflag.png supposed to cause damage for each swap? Or only if it involves attack tiles? Cause i used his blue a few times but no damage was done (no attack tiles present on board)
    Or only if it involves special tiles icon_e_smile.gif
  • hhm, his green damage at max level is confirm not bug or some typo ? The damage is really very pathetic less, i feel.

Oh ya... so his black passive only works if u match (i.e. min 3) the special tiles, instead of destroying 1 (for a whole vertical or horizontal line) ?