*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

Options

Comments

• LavishDragoon
    LavishDragoon Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    When I first started building my collection of heroes I eventually built a bagman because I had hoped they were going to inevitably rework/fix him. After taking him out of the 2* pool I kind of lost hope on that. What if they did that so when they rework him he'll be rare and only long time players with the slots to keep him have an advantage when they release him as a "new" hero. He kind of looks like a trick or treater.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Gender Bender
    purpleflag.png I'm a real toughie! 8 AP
    Bender throws your sense of gender into chaos. Changing all of a random single color basic tile into another random color.
    Upgrades: changes strike tiles as well, changes attack tiles as well, changes protect tiles as well, choose which color tile changes, changes a 2nd random color tile as well.
    redflag.png Bendering Time! 7 AP
    Bender uses his superior bending ability to bend the very board itself. Destroys a selected 3 x 3 triangle of tiles, doing damage, but not generating AP.
    Upgrades: Bigger affected area till it destroys a 7 x 7 triangle of tiles.
    blackflag.png Bite my shiny metal ****! (Passive)
    Each time Bender takes damage, does x damage to opponent causing damage.
    Upgrades: Increased damage, max level is equal to a match 3 of primary color.

This is obviously the 2*. Here's the 3* alt.
    228px-Bender_2.jpg
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nellyson wrote:
    Nellyson wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    From the Doc Ock interview: "So when you match up that tile, which can also be caused by the Blue ability, Manipulation, he then adds Attack Tiles to the board." IF that means tiles destroyed by blue = attack tiles, then 5/5/3 just got even more solid.

Right!? I like the direction they're going with new characters. They're getting very interesting to use. Of course, this is moot because icon_sentry.png is so ridiculous, but that'll work itself out eventually.....I think.

Sentry will be gone, and then everyone will move onto X-Force and the new status quo will have arisen. There is really just no hope for situational characters like Doc Ock in PvP unless the PvP structure itself dramatically changes.

Very true, but he's not on the same level as Sentry in terms of speed kills. Yeah, icon_wolverine.png is super powerful, but you can't kill the entire team in 3 moves. So yeah, we may see a shift to X-Force, but that's not as bad and I think we'll see more mix of teams again. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

You are right though, X-Force is much easier to deal with then Sentry. First off, denying 11 black is much easier than 7 Green or 8 Yellow. Even if X-Force hits you with X-Force, it's no different than taking a Fireball to the face from HT, other than the board shakeup, you can survive and it's one target not the team. Surgical Strike is kinda of a game over move, but so are most skills that are 11 and up. But Sentry can kill you so many ways especially when teamed up with Daken. He just falls into World Rupture, and Sacrifice with the cascade insanity the AI has is death as well, and if when he gets Supernova it's usually end game too.

Reading between the lines lately, I think D3 is finally found what characters work and look to slow the game up a bit, Dock Ock, Colossus, Beast, but there are some big guys out there that need to be tweaked. If you took Sentry out of the mix, the game would quickly fall to X-Force and Hood, X-Force is counterable, but Hood is not, you have to counter Hood with Hood and then target him first, so I think he's probably in for a funbalance too. Take those two out of the game and things really open up. Sure you have x-Force/Daken but what is overpowered about that? as I said it's Surgical Strike you have to watch out for and that's an 11 cost skill so you can defend against it. Heck, one of the best counters to Surgical Strike is Deadpool. Put him out front and they steal purple and can't use it. And Dock Ock really counters Daken, since every tile match you are creating attack tiles, which help negate Daken's healing if you are targeting him. With a few more buffs of characters and a couple fun balances this game will become a lot more strategic.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ^ Hood doesn't _require_ your own Hood to be dealt with, usually only when he's with Sentry. Even then, there are ways to damage/kill Hood quickly, like said X-Force, Chemical Reaction, Pheromone Rage + Inspiration, Fireball, Psi-Katana, ALOTT, strike tiles + oBW (optionally with damage boosts), Ares/Punisher moves, etc. People did manage to kill that Sentry/Hood/Daken node in the Gauntlet, didn't they? Often people without XF/cMagneto, but with buffed cStorm and MMN. Oh yes passives like Speed Shot and Raging Tempest work around AP steal just fine.
  • The difference being you don't fear retaliation in a PvE node, so you can use gimmick teams like MNM C.Storm or OBW Spiderman Boosted Punisher. If you took either of those teams vs a Sentry node that was only worth 20 points you would get hit back for 20 pretty quickly.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    ^ Hood doesn't _require_ your own Hood to be dealt with, usually only when he's with Sentry. Even then, there are ways to damage/kill Hood quickly, like said X-Force, Chemical Reaction, Pheromone Rage + Inspiration, Fireball, Psi-Katana, ALOTT, strike tiles + oBW (optionally with damage boosts), Ares/Punisher moves, etc. People did manage to kill that Sentry/Hood/Daken node in the Gauntlet, didn't they? Often people without XF/cMagneto, but with buffed cStorm and MMN. Oh yes passives like Speed Shot and Raging Tempest work around AP steal just fine.

I chose my words carefully. I said countered, not dealt with. Any quick damage dealer, Daken being the best, can knock Hood out quickly, but downing someone fast isn't countering, that's just downing them, countering implies that by having a said character in my lineup allows me to deal with a character without having to down them quickly. So I repeate, the only way to counter Hood is with Hood. The only other pure counter to Hood I know is OBW, she can increase CD tiles with her blue thus negating Hood's black, and she can steal back all the AP the Hood stole from you plus some. But having your own Hood allows you to not have to target their's since the AP drain will generally be even.
  • Will there be other chances to win doc oct? I'm not fairing to well. My right is currently 329
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I chose my words carefully. I said countered, not dealt with. Any quick damage dealer, Daken being the best, can knock Hood out quickly, but downing someone fast isn't countering, that's just downing them, countering implies that by having a said character in my lineup allows me to deal with a character without having to down them quickly. So I repeate, the only way to counter Hood is with Hood. The only other pure counter to Hood I know is OBW, she can increase CD tiles with her blue thus negating Hood's black, and she can steal back all the AP the Hood stole from you plus some. But having your own Hood allows you to not have to target their's since the AP drain will generally be even.
    Oh I see now, sorry. Yeah I wish they would add more interesting and actually legit AP stealing moves, doesn't have to be OP, but what Psy/She-Hulk/whoever have is just garbage.

DrGuerrero, there will be a PvP with Doc Ock rewards, of course there's no guarantee that they won't run a Story event requiring Doc Ock before that, but still, he's a not a great character to add to any roster.
  • Will there be other chances to win doc oct? I'm not fairing to well. My right is currently 329

He should be in a PVP soon.
  • I'm on the fence about this guy, but he really does seem like he could be a stellar situational counter. Also obviously a pve monster.
  • themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Used him for the first time, i only have his green cover so i can't make a judgement on his other powers but not only is his green awful at level 1 but the animation is just horrendous in my opinion, thank god ill never be using his green ability again cos i shudder everytime that small black screen pops up
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    But he looks so happy:

429x486.png.82b1743517524386ab89327e32da7d46.large
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So does Insult to Injury create a tile (like Hulk) or only overwrites available tiles (like Daken)?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Overwrites a la Daken.
  • Used him for the first time, i only have his green cover so i can't make a judgement on his other powers but not only is his green awful at level 1 but the animation is just horrendous in my opinion, thank god ill never be using his green ability again cos i shudder everytime that small black screen pops up

So your level 40 0/0/1 3* is ****? Didn't see that coming.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So your level 40 0/0/1 3* is ****? Didn't see that coming.

Well.. I have a 1/1/1, and I find him a bit lackluster as well. I even took him into a match against Modern Storm, and stalled until she fired hailstorm so I could see the "full potential" of what he's designed to counter.

Here's my analysis:

Blue:
    -8 swap is actually very little. Even against something like hailstorm, I ended up only hitting like 5-6 tiles.
    -11 ap is a ridiculous cost for a niche counter ability. Unless you're actively focusing blue, you wont' be able to get this in time against most abilities it's suppose to counter. You definitely won't get it off to counter world rupture.
    -Destroying a special tile doesn't trigger black. The only way blue triggers black is if it is under-covered and you swap a special tile you can't destroy into a match 3.
    -All swap/damage comes at once, so no individual cascades, and no multi-dip with strike tiles (I was really hoping it was the other way around).
    -This needs to be a 7-8 cost ability, or the number of swaps needs to be increased with covers.

Black:
    -His best ability, but nothing to really write home about.
    -The animation is terrible.

Green:
    -Currently this is absolute junk at 12 ap. Maybe it gets better with cover/levels, but I kind of doubt it. The effects are just too random.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    So does Insult to Injury create a tile (like Hulk) or only overwrites available tiles (like Daken)?
    Hulk created Anger tiles? Never noticed that. I did notice that enemy Hulk once failed to Anger due to the board not having any basic black tiles.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Playing around in the prologue, I've noticed - and this may just be a "it's how the game works, deal with it" thing, that if you manage to kill somebody with Armed And Dangerous, it's possible for them to eat the stun effect too, wasting it.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    Hulk created Anger tiles? Never noticed that. I did notice that enemy Hulk once failed to Anger due to the board not having any basic black tiles.
    Just to clarify what locked said: Anger doesn't create black tiles, so it's no different than Daken's ability -- if there are no black tiles, Anger won't work.
  • I haven't used him much, but his black seems the best, especially his since other abilities cost so much AP. He seems to be a soft counter towards Daken, and decent against world rupture and hailstorm. Other than that, he seems rather ineffectual unless you're trying to fill a Blue/Black/Green gap in coverage. Might be ok in some PVE as well.