*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2014
    Teke184 wrote:
    On the blue, it's 8 sets of tiles (16 tiles), NOT 8 tiles.

This could get powerful if you can take out countdowns and protect tiles in addition to strike and attack tiles, as Sentry spams countdowns, Falcon and Magneto spam protect tiles, etc. Combine it with the passive black and it really gets fun.

I'm thinking 5/3/5 right now, but that could change if/when Ice ever reveals what the powers are at each of the 5 levels.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about green. Beast has a lower base stat than Doc Ock on his AoE, I really think 5/5/3 will be the "best" build.

icon_ares.png :doctorstrange: :greengoblin: :redhulk: :wintersoldier: :nightcrawler:
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The blue is pricey, but among other things it'll make a nice counter against the PITA that is high level Hailstorms. Destroy a bunch of attack tiles, the resulting cascade destroys more, and any special tiles that fall victim to the cascade get replaced with your own thanks to Insult To Injury.
  • IMO going 5/5/3 will counter Sentry bombers. But who knows. Skill descriptions aren't complete yet.
  • I'm going 5/3/5 or 5/4/4 depending on what the 5th cover does for blackflag.png or greenflag.png
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Doctor Octopus

Manipulation: Power Cost 11
    Dr. Octavius reaches out with his mechanical arms to use controls and devices, smashing enemy plans easily. Swaps 8 pairs of random tiles, destroying any swapped enemy Attack tiles and dealing 110 damage for each tile destroyed.
    At Level 2: Also destroys enemy strike tiles
    At Level 3: ????
    At Level 4: ????
    At Level 5: ????

Insult to Injury (Passive)
    Doctor Octopus casually delivers a scathing monologue about his superior intellect while his metal arms continue their assault. Whenever you make a match that includes enemy special tiles, add a Black Attack tile to the board of strength 27.
    At Level 2: Creates strength 32 Attack tiles

Armed and Dangerous: Power Cost 12
    The fury of Doctor Octopus is unleashed as his metal arms strike, constrict and mangle all his opponents at once. eals 82 damage to all enemies, then stuns a random enemy for 1 turn, reduces enemy AP in their strongest color, and destroys a random enemy Countdown tile.
    At Level 2: Deals 164 damage to the enemy team.

The devs really got his flavor down, especally with his Black.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    aeijei wrote:
    IMO going 5/5/3 will counter Sentry bombers. But who knows. Skill descriptions aren't complete yet.

Doc Oct's skills cost 11 and 10, compared to the 7 and 8 of Sentry, meaning that Doc Oct is a pretty poor counter to Sentry on defense since you're never getting the AP / AI timing to cast these. On offense, its goodish insurance vs Sentry, but then again, bursting sentry down with X-Force is probably a better plan.
  • aeijei wrote:
    IMO going 5/5/3 will counter Sentry bombers. But who knows. Skill descriptions aren't complete yet.

Doc Oct's skills cost 11 and 10, compared to the 7 and 8 of Sentry, meaning that Doc Oct is a pretty poor counter to Sentry on defense since you're never getting the AP / AI timing to cast these. On offense, its goodish insurance vs Sentry, but then again, bursting sentry down with X-Force is probably a better plan.

That may probably be the better combo for Ock, as Hood Ock wont work. It would be a slow phase but doable.
  • As Northern said 11 is a way too expensive and WR is way cheaper and using hood black to speed up tiles ock wont scare a sentry team.. For now Ock seems a meh char.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everyone's comments are speculation and completely useless when we don't know how the abilities upgrade per level. I know everyone wants to be the first to say such-and-such theory and have they're theory be right, but no one has a clue as to what the 5th cover does on these abilities yet. If you had only seen levels 1 and 2 of X-Force's abilities when the revamp was announced, you would have said meh.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    aeijei wrote:

I'm skeptical that enough players have a fully covered X-Force to offer that as a universal counter to Sentry. I'm betting there will be more fully covered Doc Ocks by Halloween then there will be X-Force. There is of course the overlap there, and I doubt many players with a fully covered X-Force will not have a fully covered Doc Ock.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    aeijei wrote:

I'm skeptical that enough players have a fully covered X-Force to offer that as a universal counter to Sentry. I'm betting there will be more fully covered Doc Ocks by Halloween then there will be X-Force. There is of course the overlap there, and I doubt many players with a fully covered X-Force will not have a fully covered Doc Ock.

I'm just saying that a character with a reactive ability that costs AP is never going to counter Sentry on defense. On offense, you would probably rely on blue to counter WR since attack tiles aren't going to help you when you face down WR tiles, which by nature seems inconsistent since you dont know how many matches you need. Scottees comments are right in that its not that useful to speculate since we don't know level 5 abilities, but just at face value based off of what Demiurge has done in the past and what the abilities look like, it's not promising. And it doesn't have to be X-Force: I'm saying that any active strategy that involving characters bursting down Sentry / denying is probably going to be a better counter than waiting until Sentry casts WR, and then using blue and praying that you make a match off of the resulting swaps.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really doubt anything is ever going to counter an un-nerfed WR effectively. A move that trumps WR would be either so cheap and effective as to be broken itself, or so specific to WR that it's useless against anyone but Sentry, which I doubt any developer would want. The only thing that's going to end Robert Reynolds' reign at the top is a rebalance.
  • NorthernPolarity
    I really doubt anything is ever going to counter an un-nerfed WR effectively. A move that trumps WR would be either so cheap and effective as to be broken itself, or so specific to WR that it's useless against anyone but Sentry, which I doubt any developer would want. The only thing that's going to end Robert Reynolds' reign at the top is a rebalance.

While a rebalance is obviously needed, I can come up with a couple of moves that counter WR pretty easily on offense while still having value elsewhere:
    1. 8AP - Each enemy character deals 750 damage to itself for each countdown tile they have on the board. (good v goons as well)
    2. Passive - As soon as a single enemy CD tile activates, end the turn immediately (they don't get a match or anything)

There are definitely ways to make abilities that attack WR without being OP or absurdly niche.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    cMags' Coercive Field does a pretty good job. It only costs 9 yellow AP so it's not too difficult too hard to get if you're prioritizing yellow matches.

At level 5, it puts out 477 worth of protect tiles. That will completely null WR + 6 Daken strike tiles and reduce WR + Sacrifice to 371 damage per countdown tile. If we assume that 12 CD tiles go off that's 4,452 damage per teammate--not great, but not a game ender.

At level 3 the ability drops 280 worth of protect tiles which will stop WR + 2 Daken strike tiles and limit the above WR + Sacrifice scenario to a total of 6,816. Again, not great but someone like Thor is still going to be left with over 3,000 HP.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards

#1 a super buffed Hulk was a strong deterent for Sentry. You had to whittle down Hulk before you fired it off.
    #2 If D3 gets rid of AP boosts WR and sacrafice is still a great combo and crazy strong but it takes 15 AP to fire between two colors. Sentry is about offense and shield hopping and on Defense he is most scray with Hood becuase Hood makes everything faster.

For the Dr I think he is well thought out and has some interesting powers. I like the fact that as a villian he has an active green, and his passive can really goes with active game play. When the enemy gets a special tile out you generally want to match it anyway and his passive helps you for doing something you would do anyway. I am excited to see what they do for level 5 on his ablilities.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    cMags' Coercive Field does a pretty good job. It only costs 9 yellow AP so it's not too difficult too hard to get if you're prioritizing yellow matches.

At level 5, it puts out 477 worth of protect tiles. That will completely null WR + 6 Daken strike tiles and reduce WR + Sacrifice to 371 damage per countdown tile. If we assume that 12 CD tiles go off that's 4,452 damage per teammate--not great, but not a game ender.

At level 3 the ability drops 280 worth of protect tiles which will stop WR + 2 Daken strike tiles and limit the above WR + Sacrifice scenario to a total of 6,816. Again, not great but someone like Thor is still going to be left with over 3,000 HP.

Don't forget the most polular Bullseye, Spidey, Falcon Combo to make Sentry a suicide squad icon_twisted.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Posted the pre-release stats for him in the OP.
  • Those powers got more interesting as they got detailed.

I'd probably go with 5/5/3 based on what I'm seeing.

The jump from 3 black covers to 5 is a pretty significant one, especially in conjunction with the blue potentially letting you destroy 16 enemy special tiles at once if they do something like spam Hailstorm, Bird Flock, etc.
  • As a result, the build poll is up.

Thanks, IceIX.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Posted the pre-release stats for him in the OP.

Interesting, the OP still says: Last edited by Ben Grimm on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

That's my TZ, of course, your post was at 9:43 am.

Does this mean that edits by super-duper admin accounts of other person's posts aren't recorded anywhere? Just wondering because noticing that kind of thing triggers my OCD.