*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

Comments

• orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Doctor Doom is known for his technology and in many cases his energy shields.

It would fit him and purple, in general, for his third power to be a placed countdown tile (on any tile) that while on the board (max 3 turns - starts at 1) reduced all incoming damage to the team by X% (up to maybe 40 or 50%). At higher levels, when the tile expired it would leave behind a strike or protect tile (I can see that going either way).
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Doom doesn't need defense, he already has a huge chunk of HP.

purpleflag.pngTime Stop 9 Purple AP
    Doom uses his power to strike while his opponents are frozen in time. Creates 2 red attack tiles and stuns all characters for 2 turns.
    Level 2: Doom is now stunned for only 1 turn. While the stun lasts, powers cannot be activated.
    Level 3: Doom is no longer stunned.
    Level 4: Increase the stun to 3 turns.
    Level 5: Powers can now be activated during the stun.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Doom doesn't need defense, he already has a huge chunk of HP.

purpleflag.pngTime Stop 9 Purple AP
    Doom uses his power to strike while his opponents are frozen in time. Creates 2 red attack tiles and stuns all characters for 2 turns.
    Level 2: Doom is now stunned for only 1 turn. While the stun lasts, powers cannot be activated.
    Level 3: Doom is no longer stunned.
    Level 4: Increase the stun to 3 turns.
    Level 5: Powers can now be activated during the stun.

So, basically until you get to level 2, the power has almost no effect and is a waste of AP. Because if everyone is stunned, nothing happens - except attack tiles and TU countdowns.
  • Put yourself in the position of someone getting hit by that power, ErikPeter. Why on earth would you ever want to fight doom? This is like all the people who say one of the bigger powers like hollowpoint kiss should produce AP. Or people who say that Loki should be able to destroy the other side with something that would be nearly impossible to design. It would make a character so op it would effectively make it so everyone would beg for a nerf.
  • Perhaps since Dr Doom is now on the new title screen with Doc Ock and Hulk, that means they'll be giving him his purpletile.png skill?
  • If they do give him a third power, I hope they switch his purpletile.png strength to greentile.png -- there aren't any blacktile.pngbluetile.pnggreentile.png characters, and it would make a heck of a lot more sense based on his costume.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    AJBCLF wrote:
    Perhaps since Dr Doom is now on the new title screen with Doc Ock and Hulk, that means they'll be giving him his purpletile.png skill?

It would be nice but I think they would have announced that, perhaps for R62, but I don't think he'll have a stealth update.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whatever the case it's fun to speculate on his third power, just for sheets and giggles. Hmmm...
    (Drains, so the casting team doesn't get the AP - the enemy just loses the AP)

purpleflag.png Resource Detonation 8 Purple AP
    Doctor Doom's tactical superiority enables him to strike at the heart of his enemy's resources. Destroys a chosen basic tile, and deals 10 damage for each AP the enemy has in that color.
    Level 2: Damage increased to 13 for each AP. Drains 1 enemy AP in that color.
    Level 3: Damage increased to 15 for each AP. Drains 2 enemy AP in that color. Can target protect tiles.
    Level 4: Damage increased to 17 for each AP. Drains 3 enemy AP in that color. Can target protect, strike, and attack tiles.
    Level 5: Damage increased to 19 for each AP. Drains 4 enemy AP in that color. Can target any tile.
    Max Level: : 166 damage for each AP.
  • orionpeace wrote:
    Doctor Doom is known for his technology and in many cases his energy shields.

It would fit him and purple, in general, for his third power to be a placed countdown tile (on any tile) that while on the board (max 3 turns - starts at 1) reduced all incoming damage to the team by X% (up to maybe 40 or 50%). At higher levels, when the tile expired it would leave behind a strike or protect tile (I can see that going either way).

Say they do something like this, what if at level 5 they give you a choice of strike or protect, so you can decide whether you want offense or defense? And for each tile you place because of the ability, the strength of any new tile you place while the old is on the board increases? (i.e. 100 strike or protect on the first tile, 200 for 2nd strike or protect, 300 for 3rd strike or protect, etc.)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puce Moose wrote:
    Whatever the case it's fun to speculate on his third power, just for sheets and giggles. Hmmm...
    (Drains, so the casting team doesn't get the AP - the enemy just loses the AP)

purpleflag.png Resource Detonation 8 Purple AP
    Doctor Doom's tactical superiority enables him to strike at the heart of his enemy's resources. Destroys a chosen basic tile, and deals 10 damage for each AP the enemy has in that color.
    Level 2: Damage increased to 13 for each AP. Drains 1 enemy AP in that color.
    Level 3: Damage increased to 15 for each AP. Drains 2 enemy AP in that color. Can target protect tiles.
    Level 4: Damage increased to 17 for each AP. Drains 3 enemy AP in that color. Can target protect, strike, and attack tiles.
    Level 5: Damage increased to 19 for each AP. Drains 4 enemy AP in that color. Can target any tile.
    Max Level: : 166 damage for each AP.

I like the concept of this power as you can drain the enemy AP and do damage based upon the AP the enemy has. It would probably need to cost 11 AP instead of 8 though especially if you can destroy any tile on the board. This could also lead to some interesting choices, do you destroy greentile.png and drain the enemy's strongest color or do to destroy purpletile.png a color they are not using but have 16 tiles? This can make for an interesting strategy. Nice job
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I've totally used Doom as the Anti-Daken this tournament. With Daken boosted, he loses 700HP per turn when there aren't at least 7 blues on the board. And because Doom can then cover the reds, you can match greens without adding strike tiles for the other team. FInally, he prevents Daken from generating blues and doing chemical reaction over-and-over.

Doom's pretty dope. I'm glad I have him maxed.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    I've totally used Doom as the Anti-Daken this tournament. With Daken boosted, he loses 700HP per turn when there aren't at least 7 blues on the board. And because Doom can then cover the reds, you can match greens without adding strike tiles for the other team. FInally, he prevents Daken from generating blues and doing chemical reaction over-and-over.

Doom's pretty dope. I'm glad I have him maxed.

Interesting. I like Doom but always assumed he would suck against Daken because with all the strike tiles there wouldn't be enough red tiles left for Summon Demons (especially if both teams have Daken). Meanwhile I usually forget about Daken's "heat", but I guess Dr. Doom is the one character who could really take advantage of that weakness.
  • ronin_san
    Interesting. I like Doom but always assumed he would suck against Daken because with all the strike tiles there wouldn't be enough red tiles left for Summon Demons (especially if both teams have Daken). Meanwhile I usually forget about Daken's "heat", but I guess Dr. Doom is the one character who could really take advantage of that weakness.

They're vinegar and water. They don't really work well together. And using Doom and XFW together means you get to choose how to spend black. Because Daken's strongest power is black, you can XFW *surgical* him, get the black back, then drop demons. Match greens, *snikt snikt*, and he's dead. Actually, the enemy team is dead.

And I did that with 2 covers in XFW's green, so only ~1k per.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    R66 Leak: Doom getting purple power.

Power list is:
    Abilities\DoctorDoomDominance
    Abilities\DoctorDoomElectrifiedPunch
    Abilities\DoctorDoomSummonDemons
    Abilities\DoctorDoomTemporalRefuge
    which is pre-R66.

I think it will be Temporal Refuge.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    R66 Leak: Doom getting purple power.

Power list is:
    Abilities\DoctorDoomDominance
    Abilities\DoctorDoomElectrifiedPunch
    Abilities\DoctorDoomSummonDemons
    Abilities\DoctorDoomTemporalRefuge
    which is pre-R66.

I think it will be Temporal Refuge.
    Dominance and Electrified punch are Doombot powers, but TR seems to be new.
  • ronin_san
    They might just be tossing these in to mess around with people. I wouldn't be surprised.

They know we parse the .ini file.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Temporal Refuge definitely sounds like a support ability (similar to grant invisibility?)... Hopefully a purple one.

Does anyone know if the good doctor prioritize his black over surgical strike? Because if that's not the case Doom could become x-force's new best pal (as a black feeder, of course).
  • ronin_san
    donietsche wrote:
    Temporal Refuge definitely sounds like a support ability (similar to grant invisibility?)... Hopefully a purple one.

Does anyone know if the good doctor prioritize his black over surgical strike? Because if that's not the case Doom could become x-force's new best pal (as a black feeder, of course).

Do you mean whether the PC tends to favor Surgical Strike over Summon Demons? In my experience, the PC heavily favors the lesser cost abilities. I LOVE matching XFW with Doom. They absolutely murder Daken. Doom stops Daken from generating strike tiles (ala demons covering the reds) , or even getting blues to do damage. Further, Doom converts ALL blues to black, so Daken loses health per turn.

On top of that, Daken's strongest color is black. So XFW does a surgical strike and gets black right back. Seriously. They MURDER Daken.

I already like Doom and XFW. I can't imagine how much more I'll like them when Doom gets his third ability.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    donietsche wrote:

Actually I think Temporal Refuge is a Doombot ability too. Stumbled across it in Meet R&G I think.
    But yes, Doom and X-force work well together. icon_e_smile.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    donietsche wrote:

Actually I think Temporal Refuge is a Doombot ability too. Stumbled across it in Meet R&G I think.
    But yes, Doom and X-force work well together. icon_e_smile.gif

Still, "DoctorDoom AbilityPurple" is something new, which werent there pre-R66