Your most ridiculous MPQ story

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Because of the competitiveness and the way timed tournament work, probably a lot of us have played this game at inconvenient times.

For me, the worst time was about a month and a half ago. I was on a second date with an attractive college professor and we went out to eat and then to a pinball bar in the north part of Chicago. There was a few hours left for a tournament, so I kept saying my bladder was full and went to the bathroom to play a round. Then when she went to play a game of pinball, I stood behind her and snuck my iPhone and played a round. I felt so dirty.

But I haven't gotten to the point where I've played while sex. Just a few minutes afterwards. Sigh.

Comments

• I was thinking of this last night. My girlfriend that I live with knows I'm an addict, but we were at her huge families house for Christmas and I kept running away to keep my position in the avengers tournament (was 1 almost all day yesterday). Her dad found me and asked if I was being antisocial (we are like best friends) and I said yes.

Anyway, so as the day went on and I drank more and more still thinking I'll have 2 hours to grind to keep my position, I got intoxicated, passed out when I got home, and dropped to 40th. Still got a punisher, but not three. Was pretty antisocial on Christmas.
  • Because of the competitiveness and the way timed tournament work, probably a lot of us have played this game at inconvenient times.

For me, the worst time was about a month and a half ago. I was on a second date with an attractive college professor and we went out to eat and then to a pinball bar in the north part of Chicago. There was a few hours left for a tournament, so I kept saying my bladder was full and went to the bathroom to play a round. Then when she went to play a game of pinball, I stood behind her and snuck my iPhone and played a round. I felt so dirty.

But I haven't gotten to the point where I've played while sex. Just a few minutes afterwards. Sigh.
    Well don't leave me hanging! Was there a third date? LOL
  • Here's one I had this morning:

I was playing the Loki Lightning Round, and I got into the Top 20 with three minutes to go. I thought to myself, "I don't want a Loki cover, I want a Diabolical Token." So I made the stupid decision to deliberately yield to a few opponents to reduce my score. With one minute on the clock, I was attacked and knocked into #53. Instead of my Diabolical token, I got a Heroic Token.

I was pissed until I used the Token, which gave me a Red Ragnarok cover. XD
  • I have been playing this game since release and never had a 1st place finish in any of the events until about a month ago when they had three doctor dooms at the number 2 position.

I just remember their being less than 5 minutes to go in the event, I was battling for position in the top 5. Did a quick battle and ended up in 1st place.

Funny thing is I was just sitting there yelling at my phone for someone to come hit me because I was only in 1st place by 2 points.

It was only after I had come to the forums after winning 1st place that I learned how to yield to drop points.

I ended up with 1 4* IW. The dooms I was shooting for would have given me 3/3 covers
  • This thread!

Mine happened yesterday as the Avengers tourney wound down. I woke up at 4 am to grind out a first place position and ensure I have a fully charged phone.

Spent rest of morning waiting for my boss -- her tardiness allowed me to grind a bit more and keep my first place standing.

Then she arrived and my work proper began. I had to tour her around 3 project sites (2 creek easement developments, and one public market reconstruction). It went very well, but it went TOO well because she now wanted to treat for lunch.

I basically inhaled the food and gave as succinct answers as possible to rush the lunch meeting along... Until finally we got around to bringing the team back to the office (after excruciating stops and delays), and finally parted on excellent terms.

The building security staff must've freaked out when as soon as the boss left I gollumed my way to a power outlet with my charger and ground out the last 30 minutes of the tournament.

Finished top 45.

This is no way to live.

LOL
  • I love this thread. I lol'ed all over it.

I opened a christmas card from my parents that had cash in it but it looked like Hero Points to me.
  • Here's another one:

Acquaintance: "Wow, you've gotten quite popular recently with so many new friends on Facebook."

Me: [...] /giant anime sweat drop
  • Ghost Lightning, what kind of work do you do? Are you like an engineer? That's hilarious.

I'm surprised there aren't more good stories here, I guess everyone feels too much shame to talk about it. icon_e_smile.gif

P.S. There was no third date.
  • My gf and I consider quality time to be something terrible on Netflix and us on the couch playing MPQ.

She's a keeper. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was trying to slide out of bed to make an early morning tournament finish time but my wife thought I was trying to slide into something else. I was delayed getting to the tournament by 10 minutes but I still finished 1st with MPQ and my wife. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Ghost Lightning, what kind of work do you do? Are you like an engineer? That's hilarious.

I'm surprised there aren't more good stories here, I guess everyone feels too much shame to talk about it. icon_e_smile.gif

P.S. There was no third date.

Too bad about the third date.

I'm a project manager for a large non-profit (in the Philippines), who happens to have involvement in projects involving infrastructure development among other domains (I'm more in organization and business development).

There's a lot of shame indeed.

I have less so because my wife started playing MPQ about a month before I did.

Now we both ignore our kid as we grind tournaments.

I KID, I KID.

We let our 4-year old click the screen for hero tokens, and recently for me, Magnetic Transubstantiation lol.
  • I'm considering setting an alarm for 4:30AM to get up and play the last 30 minutes of the Hulk event. I'd like to end in the top 300 of course, but I think I can realistically end in the top 1500 without too much difficulty. I haven't done anything too crazy. Right before Thanksgiving, I was sneaking in a few matches every two hours for lightning rounds at work, but aside from that, I'm doing pretty well on not going crazy with it. Although my wife thinks I'm totally addicted. She hasn't started playing yet.
  • NFHQ43 wrote:
    I'm considering setting an alarm for 4:30AM to get up and play the last 30 minutes of the Hulk event. I'd like to end in the top 300 of course, but I think I can realistically end in the top 1500 without too much difficulty. I haven't done anything too crazy. Right before Thanksgiving, I was sneaking in a few matches every two hours for lightning rounds at work, but aside from that, I'm doing pretty well on not going crazy with it. Although my wife thinks I'm totally addicted. She hasn't started playing yet.

I WOKE UP AT 4AM TI GRIND HULK MISSIONS.

I won't reach 50k because that ginormous Juggernaut killed us all one time.

I realize once you lose, the opportunity to score that rubber banded total goes away. It counts.

I beat that mission twice but the second time saw a massive drop in points awarded.

Sigh.
  • NFHQ43 wrote:
    I'm considering setting an alarm for 4:30AM to get up and play the last 30 minutes of the Hulk event. I'd like to end in the top 300 of course, but I think I can realistically end in the top 1500 without too much difficulty. I haven't done anything too crazy. Right before Thanksgiving, I was sneaking in a few matches every two hours for lightning rounds at work, but aside from that, I'm doing pretty well on not going crazy with it. Although my wife thinks I'm totally addicted. She hasn't started playing yet.

I realize once you lose, the opportunity to score that rubber banded total goes away. It counts.

I beat that mission twice but the second time saw a massive drop in points awarded.

Sigh.

Wait, wait, wait, if you lose it makes it so the points drop when you retry? I thought that was only in PVP not in PVE.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    NFHQ43 wrote:
    NFHQ43 wrote:

Sigh.

It's not, don't worry about it.

Wait, wait, wait, if you lose it makes it so the points drop when you retry? I thought that was only in PVP not in PVE.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Options

I'm a project manager for a large non-profit (in the Philippines)

Hey, i'm in the Philippines too! From every other description I thought you were a drinking buddy that I was out with last night, but then you mentioned the kid.

My stories can't compare to most of you all. Probably my most ridiculous was harassing the IT support staff to allow my phone onto the corporate wifi because my mobile service cut out in the last 30 minutes of a PVP. They had no idea why I'd be so frantic over getting some wifi.
  • NFHQ43 wrote:
    NFHQ43 wrote:

Sigh.

No I won't lose points but people will leapfrog I front of me.
    Dninot wrote:

I'm a project manager for a large non-profit (in the Philippines)

Hey, i'm in the Philippines too! From every other description I thought you were a drinking buddy that I was out with last night, but then you mentioned the kid.

My stories can't compare to most of you all. Probably my most ridiculous was harassing the IT support staff to allow my phone onto the corporate wifi because my mobile service cut out in the last 30 minutes of a PVP. They had no idea why I'd be so frantic over getting some wifi.

Filipino? Astig!

Pare marami na rin akong kakilala na naglalaro.

My wife and best friend got into this first, though we've all played older PQ games.
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Options
    You lost me there ghostlighting! I'm a Canadian expat. My tagalog is very minimal kuya!
  • I ended up not getting up 30 minutes before the end since there seemed to be no points to grind for and I had a massive headache.

In the ridiculous department, I've considered pulling over while on a long drive in order to get into a lightning round. However, it turned out the one I did right before I started driving was the last one that day. I checked at a red light before pulling over and discovered it was over.