** Daken (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• oh yeah, 2nd time around for DP vs MPQ...DA Daken is powered up...and in the progression rewards. 8000 points gets you a DA Daken cover...but wait...it's the purple cover. what a slap in the face. and the 2* reward for ranks 151 - 300: Ares red. oh blue DA Daken cover...where are you?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I literally just got 3 from my "Heroic 10 pack of ISO*250."
  • if you had gotten the one from prologue previously (can't remember which color, but both are included in the stage), for now it will only shows that you had gotten the (blue) cover, though physically you didn't get it.
  • Hey guys !

I was just considering at the description of Daken's abilities and I was wondering :

Considering his blue skill turns blue to green, thus making him at a risk to lose his sustain, wouldn't it be a good call to run a 5/3/5 build ? Blue does tons of damages, using a color that is hard to use correctly, and not putting him in a perilous situation. However, it loses a constant damage which is really useful...

I tried to run him in 5/5/3 with Classic Strom and Modern Mags, but it was not worth due to no one tanking (but what a damage ! ).

But in a team with Thor/Ares and, let's say, OBW, we lose the blue ability of the widow but we gain a huge amount of damages.

Still thinking about it btw, but what are your opinions ?

What is your favourite build, and in which team/role ?

Thanks !
  • I also came here to ask about a preferred build. I see how 5/3/5 would be good. His strike tiles have already been nerfed a lot, i.e. creating only 1 at a time and the tile strength. Instead of keeping the weak strike tiles on the board, it makes more sense to keep destroying them for more damage and often at 5 blue AP. It makes his healing weaker but I don't think that's a big issue.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I would always max his healing since there will be times the board just drys up on blues or from popping chemical reaction a lot and then he starts taking the burn damage per turn instead of healing, maxing the heal allows him to jump back faster when this happens.

to me the best build for him is 3/5/5 to maximize chemical reaction as a cheap damage power and have sustain. if his PR passive still made the 2 strike tiles at max rank like his 3 star big brother then I would say 5/5/3 like ***daken but since it doesn't and they made them weaker I would max the blue to squeeze as much damage from the bonus strike tile damage on chem reaction as possible.
  • So how do You get a blue cover for Daken? Haven't got any luck from tokens yet (opening them a lot)... Checked the campaign - now his mission grants all three colors, but the reward is already checked for me! icon_e_surprised.gif
    Already got him 5\5\0 when his new cover arrived and already opened 4 or 5 covers for him. All - purple or black? No luck I guess?
  • Most people have been grinding PVP hoping for a drop. I'm only a casual player so I've only got 1 blue blueflag.png to drop so far. They keep giving me purpleflag.pngicon_e_sad.gif Tokens might be another option.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would always max his healing since there will be times the board just drys up on blues or from popping chemical reaction a lot and then he starts taking the burn damage per turn instead of healing, maxing the heal allows him to jump back faster when this happens.

to me the best build for him is 3/5/5 to maximize chemical reaction as a cheap damage power and have sustain. if his PR passive still made the 2 strike tiles at max rank like his 3 star big brother then I would say 5/5/3 like ***daken but since it doesn't and they made them weaker I would max the blue to squeeze as much damage from the bonus strike tile damage on chem reaction as possible.

Agreed. I think 4/4/5 or 3/5/5 is the way to build 2* Daken. 3* you want 5/4/4 or 5/5/3 but that's because you get the 2 strike tiles at level 5 and not 1 like 2* does now. However it is much harder to get that many strike tiles out before, it turns 2*'s blue into more of a finisher than. But considering how little extra damage you are putting out on the board as before (literally 1/2) the strike tiles don't have the value as they did before. If you plan on running Daken with a 3/5/5 OBW than I can see 5/5/3 being a better build because you probably want to use OBW's blue and not Daken's but I don't see those two pairing well. Becaue Daken tanks black it makes OBW's double attack less vaulable. I would probably run Torch/Daken/Ares for my attack deck.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Been doing some thinking about this character in preparation for updating my guide, and I think 3/5/5 is optimal. My reasoning is this: Daken's usefulness increases the more he can regen tank for guys on your team. However, look at the current 2* roster: only good purple user is OBW (who Daken can't tank for), only good black user is Torch (who Daken CAN tank for), and only good blue user that Daken can tank for is Daken. This means that in order for Daken to be doing any MEANINGFUL tanking (aka tanking that gets you ap that you actually want), then you want to be matching blue for chemical reaction and casting that whenever. If you're matching blue for chemical reaction, then purple gets less effective since the tiles aren't going to be around for long, and that you want to have as much regen as possible so that you don't kill yourself.

TLDR: 3/5/5 if you want Daken to have a more active role on your team so that you aren't afraid of matching blue for chemical reaction. 5/3/5 if you want Daken to be super passive and only care about him for his strike tiles.
  • Trisul wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Sidenote: I don't look forward to facing high level 2* Dakens in PvE.

That's a sobering thought. Hadn't thought of that.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Becaue Daken tanks black it makes OBW's double attack less vaulable. I would probably run Torch/Daken/Ares for my attack deck.
    Actually, this is the only time I think tanking for OBW is better than not. Black in 2* is by far the least threatening colour of all 7, making it often dead match both for you and opponent, so not being able to steal it/boost damage on it isn't big deal in most situations, yet having a match that will bring out Daken just to take enemy special/countdown is damn useful.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    The pointy bit? I think it's curved around the back of his leg.

Still don't see it.
  • Dude it is missing. It should be sticking out or something
  • Been doing some thinking about this character in preparation for updating my guide, and I think 3/5/5 is optimal. My reasoning is this: Daken's usefulness increases the more he can regen tank for guys on your team. However, look at the current 2* roster: only good purple user is OBW (who Daken can't tank for), only good black user is Torch (who Daken CAN tank for), and only good blue user that Daken can tank for is Daken. This means that in order for Daken to be doing any MEANINGFUL tanking (aka tanking that gets you ap that you actually want), then you want to be matching blue for chemical reaction and casting that whenever. If you're matching blue for chemical reaction, then purple gets less effective since the tiles aren't going to be around for long, and that you want to have as much regen as possible so that you don't kill yourself.

TLDR: 3/5/5 if you want Daken to have a more active role on your team so that you aren't afraid of matching blue for chemical reaction. 5/3/5 if you want Daken to be super passive and only care about him for his strike tiles.

This logic probably rings the truest for my playstyle, as well as the role I think he fills for me in general, so Ima give this a go as soon as I can. He'll be 4/5/4 today, so I'll be waiting on the luck of one more blueflag.png

Thanks as always for your well thought out points of view sir.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just chiming in that 2* Daken's 4->5 Black cover drops the number of blue tiles needed from 7 to 6 whereas 3* Daken's 5 Black is 7. 2* Daken heals a lower % per turn than 3* and the only time I've had issues with H&H backfiring for my 3* was vs. Dr. Doom and when I spammed Chem Reaction fishing for green matches. I don't see much of a point going more than 4 into black, mine is currently 5/4/4 though I doubt I'll ever get around to leveling him.
  • Didn't catch a single blue until last Sunday. Now I've got him sitting at 3/5/5. While my team is in that long transition from 2->3 (Hulk can be leveled to 153, Punisher to 124, Doom to 114, X-Force to 131, and 4 other 3* over 100...just need the stupid ISO), looking forward to having such a ridiculously powerful, low-cost blue. icon_daken.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_hulk.png combo is going to be my next trial group in PVP Simulator. Hopefully it works...until I can really get the 3* teams built.
  • That should work crazy well. Hulk is kinda weird in that it's easier to make him Angry when he's lower level. Anyway, you get 9 Green, 5 Blue, Chem Reaction the biggest guy, use Berserker Rage, and watch the world burn. Should be fun to play.
  • I havent had a single blue drop. its kinda frustrating. icon_mad.gif
  • It would look just as weird if it were "sticking out". Currently, Daken's leg is positioned between the viewer and the upper part of the boot. To make it stick out, the point would have to be bent forward, in front of the shin, instead of wrapped around towards the calf.