Strategy for PvP Events?

Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
So I've been hosed out of some major awards by grinding up to the top #5 then being bombarded by a dozens of other players and being knocked down to #400. There's nothing worse than spending a bunch of time playing only to open the app a few hours later and seeing "You've been attacked -208" 208!??!! Not only does that knock me completely out of any decent final rewards but it kills my chance at any of the high level progression rewards.

So what's the secret? The more I play PvP and even PvE it seems like the greatest rewards go to those who play the least and near the end.

Comments

• Begin playing an event in the 'off-hours' of when the event ends. That way you get seeded in a bracket full with people that are most likely not going to be able to compete when the tourney ends.

Build a nice base of points early on. Let the retaliations happen and see where you settle. You kind of want to hover in the 500-650 point range (in a typical scored tournament)

Make you final push in the last 35-40 minutes and go all out and hope for the best.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    hope for the best

Agreed on all counts but this is unfortunately the most important part since it's so easy for new players to get discouraged.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    So I've been hosed out of some major awards by grinding up to the top #5 then being bombarded by a dozens of other players and being knocked down to #400. There's nothing worse than spending a bunch of time playing only to open the app a few hours later and seeing "You've been attacked -208" 208!??!! Not only does that knock me completely out of any decent final rewards but it kills my chance at any of the high level progression rewards.

So what's the secret? The more I play PvP and even PvE it seems like the greatest rewards go to those who play the least and near the end.

Progression rewards above 1k points are difficult under any circumstances, but nigh impossible in this recent Avengers round (and in every Lightning Round). Don't beat yourself up about not reaching these goals.

As for being discouraged, you need to consider thresholds, milestones, or plateaus you need to reach over time. This is not a game wherein you put in a lot of time but within a compressed short period... results immediately in dominance.

Many of us probably thought this way at first.

The key is the process, and that means building strong character teams in a progressive way (I.e. not expecting to leapfrog and build *** teams immediately). Tough it out until you have maxed Thor and Wolverine and then seek to build ***s like Spiderman, Ragnarok, or Magneto.

There's more to it than what I said, but this is the general thing.

For now, have fun winning the matches you can and build your team.
  • Thanks everyone. I've been playing for a couple months now some but unfortunately I seem pretty behind on building any type of *** team. I'm pretty unlucky when it comes to covers so the only high level *** I have is lvl 60 Grey Suit BW. The rest are stuck at 1-3 covers. Anywho, good tip on waiting for a decent bracket. I've been trying the contstant grind method but I'll start thinking about specific times to play.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:

Progression rewards above 1k points are difficult under any circumstances, but nigh impossible in this recent Avengers round (and in every Lightning Round). Don't beat yourself up about not reaching these goals.

There's no progression award past 500 in Lightning Rounds.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I've been playing for a couple months now some but unfortunately I seem pretty behind on building any type of *** team. I'm pretty unlucky when it comes to covers so the only high level *** I have is lvl 60 Grey Suit BW. The rest are stuck at 1-3 covers. Anywho, good tip on waiting for a decent bracket. I've been trying the contstant grind method but I'll start thinking about specific times to play.

I've found you don't need a *** team to be competitive, assuming you're willing to carve out the time. Grey Suit Widow's my only leveled *** as well, but I've managed to finish top 5 for the last few tournaments. Honestly, ** characters like Thor and C. Storm can hang with most the ***s until you run into higher level ***s. I think the main key is making smart hits (I usually only hit people worth 20+, and only if I'm sure I can beat the team without taking too much damage) and maximizing your health packs.