How are points calculated when you are defeated?

Options
fbouthil
fbouthil Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi!

I have noticed that, in PvP, the more I play, the more points I lose when I am defeated in PvP. In the first PvP, I would typically lose only 5 to 10 points when defeated but now, I am losing 25 points regularly. Can someone explain how that works?

It says that the points I lose are based on my performance. Considering the players defeating me are using characters level 50 when mine are around level 30, I am not surprised that I lost. I am just wondering how I can adjust my team to limit the impact of losing.

I still don't understand why you lose points when someone defeats you in more than one try but the amount of points lost is very small in that situation so I don't really care.

Bye!

Comments

• As of now there are two systems in place that determine point lossage. One that is less severe and one that is more severe.

The makers of this game are flipping between the systems (without any kind of notice or warning) among the various tournaments.

We first saw the more severe system during the Lightning Rounds when trying to compete for The Hood covers. So, it's commonly called 'The Hood-style' point system.
  • The ELO system is setup such that if two players are appropriately rated then their current point will never change no matter how many times they played each other. For example, two guys with same rating nets +25 for the winner and -25 for the loser. If those two guys are exactly as strong as each other, then they'd still have the same rating after playing each other hundreds of time since it's 50/50 who wins.

I don't remember the exact formula but someone with 400 points higher than you has roughly 90% chance to beat you. Let's say you got 200 and someone has 600 points, and assuming the rating is correct, then the 600 point guy gets +5 for every win and -45 for every loss. If you played each other 10 times, the net change would be 0 since the 600 point guy would lose 45 points once and get 5 points 9 times. Obviously, if people are not rated correctly you'd see rather significant changes. In particular, it is pretty easy to beat just about anyone more than 10% of the time, so there's no way for the higher rated guy to achieve his predicted 90% win rate (remember, this is 90% while on defense).

Now, since this rating system is too harsh, below a certain threshold you lose less points than the formula predicts (the winner still gets his fair share). It seems recently this threshold has been moved to a very low number, like somewhere around 200 if even that.