AI now making match 5?

Options
Lloyd Christmas
Lloyd Christmas Posts: 46
edited September 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I am assuming this is because on the new Hawyeye (Modern) ability but I just had the AI make an L shaped match 5 instead of the 4. It took me completely by surprise. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet.

Comments

• Not an L, but me and a few alliance mates are under the impression the AI is playing less stupidly than it used to.
  • Lloyd Christmas
    Options
    I have noticed that as well and I have had the AI make a 5 match in a straight line countless times but this is the first time I have ever seen it make a choice between a 4 and a 5 match. I wish I had gotten a snapshot of it but I was completely taken by surprise.
  • If they make a match 5 that isn't a row/column it's because they're moving something else into a match 4 and that just happened to make a non row/column match 5.

I still don't get why people always think match 5s non row/column are better than match 4. It's about equal so if you're not going to sit around to calculate the board you might as well make do it, but there are a lot of time I ended up with a crit tile in the wrong place that I can't get rid of easily that later came back to haunt me.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    Not an L, but me and a few alliance mates are under the impression the AI is playing less stupidly than it used to.

This is true ! The Ai is learning ! The machines are getting smarter ! It won't be long now before they rise up and take over !

RRUUUUUNNNN !!!!!!

Seriously though, the Ai does seem to have gotten smarter. I swear the thing has started to deny me the colors I need, even if it doesn't use them.
  • If the L includes a T the AI has a 50/50 shot. Like these:

XOXXX
    OXOOO
    XOXXX
    XOXXX

In this case the AI can match a 4 and get a free 5, unless they mess it up.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    If the L includes a T the AI has a 50/50 shot. Like these:

XOXXX
    OXOOO
    XOXXX
    XOXXX

In this case the AI can match a 4 and get a free 5, unless they mess it up.
    Errr, the second-row OOO would be an existing match-3.

If it's the following, though, the AI would always make an inadvertent match-6 (I'm not sure what your 50/50 is referring to):
    XOXXX
    OXOOX
    XOXXX
    XOXXX

I'm not sure if the OP was referring to exactly a match-5, or an L-shaped crit-generating match, which can be a match-6.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I still don't get why people always think match 5s non row/column are better than match 4. It's about equal so if you're not going to sit around to calculate the board you might as well make do it, but there are a lot of time I ended up with a crit tile in the wrong place that I can't get rid of easily that later came back to haunt me.

It's definitely not equal. Given a random board, you can calculate the likelihood of a cascade chance by evaluating how many tiles meet new partners after the match.

4 match row - On average 15 new tile meetings.
    If on rows 2-7:
    -8 tiles above meeting 8 tiles below
    -8 new tiles falling on top of the old top row.
    If on row 1(top row)
    -only 8 new tiles falling on top of the old top row.

Average = (16*7+8*1)/8 = 15

4 match column - On average 14 new tiles meetings
    If on columns 2-7:
    -8 tiles left of column meet 8 new dropped tiles
    -8 tiles right of column meet 8 new dropped tiles
    If on column 1 or 8:
    -Only 8 tiles left/right of column meet 8 new tiles

Average = (16*6+8*2)/8 = 14

5 match L shape - On average 20.8 new tile meetings
    If L is on very bottom row:
    -8 tiles left of the L meets 8 shifted new tiles.
    -8 tiles right of the L meets 8 shifted new tiles.
    -Because L is uneven, 7 tiles in the center column above the L meets 7 new tiles.
    -3 tiles falling from the top onto the old top row.
    If L is on rows 3-7:
    -As the L is moved upwards in rows, you lose 3 new meetings (one left and one right of the L, one center above the L) per row from 8.
    If L is on rows 4-7:
    -3 tiles meetings as the tiles above the L drop down to meet the tiles below the L
    If the L is on row 3:
    -2 tiles meetings as the tiles above the L drop down to meet the tiles below the L

Adding this up you get:
    L on row 8 (bottom row): 8+8+7+3 = 26
    L on row 7: 8+8+7+3+3 - 3 = 26
    L on row 6: 8+8+7+3+3 - 6 = 23
    L on row 5: 8+8+7+3+3 - 9 = 20
    L on row 4: 8+8+7+3+3 - 12 = 17
    L on row 3: 8+8+7+3+2- 15 = 13

Assuming L shapes can appear equally on row 3-8, then the average new tiles met for matching an L shape is (26+26+23+20+17+13)/6=20.8.

So on average matching an L shape will produce 25% more new tile meetings than using it to match a 4 clear.

You can do the same analysis for the various rotated L shapes and T shapes. But my guess is that they're also advantageous, with the exception of maybe an upside down L or T exactly on Row 1.

In addition a 5 match gives you:
    -Added Crit block wich deal additional damage and can cause another cascade.
    -A free turn, which leads to at worst +2 AP (Leaving you only one less AP than a 4 match), but has the possibility of giving you another 4 or 5 match + cascades.

So if you're playing randomly without strategy, it is almost always beneficial to take the 5 match over the 4.

Naturally if see that the 4 match will guarantee a cascade, and the 5 match won't, then you should do what's optimal.

*Note-It's actually a little bit less for the L since I didn't include when the L is adjacent to the right edge, which is minus 8 meetings and occurs 1/7 of the time. So -1.14 tiles on average, giving 19.6 meetings on average. But the conclusion still holds.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And even if it doesn't result in a cascade, it's still a free move
  • john1620b
    Options
    Seriously though, the Ai does seem to have gotten smarter. I swear the thing has started to deny me the colors I need, even if it doesn't use them.
    It does actually do this. If you have an ability that requires three matches (7-9 AP) and make two matches of that color, the AI will try and match the same color to prevent you from getting that last match to power the ability. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's pretty often. Try it right at the beginning of a match if you have the right board, and you'll see what I mean.
  • Rico Dredd wrote:
    Not an L, but me and a few alliance mates are under the impression the AI is playing less stupidly than it used to.

This is true ! The Ai is learning ! The machines are getting smarter ! It won't be long now before they rise up and take over !

RRUUUUUNNNN !!!!!!

JOIN US...Skynet is inevitable icon_lol.gif
  • Lloyd Christmas
    Options
    I realize that the AI choosing match 5s over 4s is not going to change the game and in my opinion isn't even as big of a deal as hoarding AP and striking out at weaker characters and true healers like it has been doing as well. It just took me by surprise. I have been playing this game for almost a year and today was the first time I have seen it choose a match 5 over a 4 and I thought it was worth mentioning.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If they make a match 5 that isn't a row/column it's because they're moving something else into a match 4 and that just happened to make a non row/column match 5.
    This is probably what really happened. I set multiple L match 5s up for the AI during the end of the loki tourney and it never took them over the horizontal 4-match