*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Comments

• I personally find 5/4/4 to be his best build.

You obviously want 5 in yellow to improve that 3rd tile.
    You obviously want 4 in blue so that it can affect countdown tiles.
    And getting to 4 in purple gives you three additional protect tiles, or 123 more protection per cast.

The 5th cover in blue is nice, because it does lower the cooldown of his countdown tile. But that is already only 4, so it doesn't make you wait too insanely long anyway. But that would be at the expense of 3 addition protect tiles in purple.

And the 5th cover in purple gives you more protection, but at the expense of being able to remove countdown tiles from his blue.
  • hurcules wrote:
    One possible non-Daken pairing might be Spidey.

In Army of One I used Punisher/Spidey/Falcon as my "anchor" (scored 700+ points and waited for healthpack regen without shield). Surprisingly few people attack me with that pairing for the 3-4 hours span without shield.

Positives:
    Full rainbow active skills
    Purple synergy with Spidey
    Yellow synergy with Spidey

Negative:
    Slow on offense, as only Punisher is dishing out the damage.
    Playing with two purely support characters sounds so boring.

IF they quick kill Punisher, isn't that pretty much it for you?
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    onimus wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    One possible non-Daken pairing might be Spidey.

In Army of One I used Punisher/Spidey/Falcon as my "anchor" (scored 700+ points and waited for healthpack regen without shield). Surprisingly few people attack me with that pairing for the 3-4 hours span without shield.

Positives:
    Full rainbow active skills
    Purple synergy with Spidey
    Yellow synergy with Spidey

Negative:
    Slow on offense, as only Punisher is dishing out the damage.
    Playing with two purely support characters sounds so boring.

IF they quick kill Punisher, isn't that pretty much it for you?
    Indeed. However, Punisher was buffed, so it would take a while to take down a 10k+ HP Punisher. As long as a purple is matched by AI, your match damage reduces drastically.

I don't deny it's a boring team. That's why it's an anchor team and not a climb team.
  • Phantron wrote:
    AznLyte wrote:

Hey Phantron,

What do you think of Falcon with Patch? Patch is my only 166, and I've been having trouble finding him a teammate. Right now, I run a 140 Cap with him, just because Cap's Red and Blue can overwrite the tiles you give opponents. Wouldn't Redwing be useful for that? Seems like there's some okay synergy, but I'm still a relatively new 3* player, so I just wanted to know what you thought, since you mentioned it. I guess I'm trying to understand how good Falcon is.

Falcon doesn't go well with Patch. If you wimp out with a level 3 Berserker Rage you'd be better off working on Black Panther instead, who can provide similar strike tile strength for same cost (and 9y is probably better than 9g, because great green powers are dime a dozen) and no drawback. If you have 5 in Berserker Rage, Falcon can't clean up the mess in any meaningful time before the game's over. Further, his ability to boost strike tiles is fairly irrelevent on a level 5 Berserker Rage because that's a game ending move already (that can also end your game, not just the opponent's). Falcon has Daken literally written on his partner list, and even 2* Daken is pretty awesome with him. Falcon can't defend in any meaningful capacity in PvP (they just have to stop yellow to shut him down) but in PvE he's one of the top characters to use as long as you've Daken, even 2* Daken though the 3* would be preferable because the 3* version can tank for Falcon on purple and is just flat out better.

Patch goes with Magneto, which I assume you don't have or you won't be asking this question. If Magneto is not available, I like Thor with Patch. It may seen counterproductive to use a Thunder Strike to destroy your own strike tiles, but realistically almost nothing can survive a Berserker Rage -> whatever AP moves you have -> Thunder Strike cascade -> Berserker Rage sequence so it doesn't matter. Outside of the top broken tier, 9g + 12y is probably as low as it gets in terms of getting a game ending move. Note that you don't even need 3* Thor to do this, even though of course he'd be better. All you need is the massive cascade triggered by Thunder Strike once Berserker Rage is on.

You're right, I don't have Magneto. I've struggled a lot with having 3 or 5 in Berserker Rage. I started out with 4, then I moved to 3 because I felt like I was accidentally killing off my own team too much. Plus, you know, True Healing. But I feel like at 3, it definitely seems to lack the power it used to have. :\
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    onimus wrote:
    I personally find 5/4/4 to be his best build.

You obviously want 5 in yellow to improve that 3rd tile.
    You obviously want 4 in blue so that it can affect countdown tiles.
    And getting to 4 in purple gives you three additional protect tiles, or 123 more protection per cast.

The 5th cover in blue is nice, because it does lower the cooldown of his countdown tile. But that is already only 4, so it doesn't make you wait too insanely long anyway. But that would be at the expense of 3 addition protect tiles in purple.

And the 5th cover in purple gives you more protection, but at the expense of being able to remove countdown tiles from his blue.

The issue I have with 5 purple is that I just never use the ability on offense. In theory 3 extra tiles sounds like a huge upgrade, but when purple is a low priority color on offense (since you surely have better abilities than it) and costs 12AP, I just find that you never really have the AP to use it, and if you do, the match is probably already over by that point. On defense it might be useful, but I don't think Falcon is a good defensive character in PvP anyways. My main uses for Falcon have been Daken/Falcon climbing in PvP below 500 and in LRs (where defense doesn't matter), and in PvE (where the countdown reduction is typically useful and where you also never use bird strike), so I think 5/5/3 is better in the current meta.
  • The game's pace is too fast for Falcon's purple to be viable in either PvP or PvE. In the current meta game, a 4 match move (10-12) usually needs to be able to kill a character to justify the cost. Some 4 match moves can kill an entire team (e.g. Thunder Strike).

Another way to look at how Bird Strike isn't feasible is that if you have Spiderman and made 4 purple matches you'd have 4?? strength protect tiles with a maxed Spider-sense, but nobody makes matching purple priority even back when Spiderman was way overpowered. Until they clean up the 4 match moves that can kill someone, there just isn't much point to have a 4 match move that only marginally slows down the opposition.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's time to tweak Falcon.
      Inspiration - Yellow Passive
      Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 2 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 7.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 8. If none, he creates a random special tile with strength 1. Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 10. Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 13. If one or less, he then creates a random special tile with strength 1. Level 5: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 13.
      Max Level: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 79.

With 5 covers, level 166, three yellow matches could get
      Match 1 = Strength 1 special tile.
      Match 2 = Strength 80 special tile, Strength 1 special tile.
      Match 3 = Strength 159 special tile, Strength 80 special tile.
    • whitecat31
      whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
      Falcon and Daken 3* who tanks after update.

Daken Yellow =11 Falcon Yellow = 79
      Daken Red =11 Falcon Red= 13
      Daken Blue =61 Falcon Blue = 70
      Daken Purple =70 Falcon Purple = 61
      Daken Green =13 Falcon Green = 12
      Daken Black =79 Falcon Black = 11
    • whitecat31 wrote:
      Falcon and Daken 3* who tanks after update.

Daken Yellow =11 Falcon Yellow = 79
      Daken Red =11 Falcon Red= 13
      Daken Blue =61 Falcon Blue = 70
      Daken Purple =70 Falcon Purple = 61
      Daken Green =13 Falcon Green = 12
      Daken Black =79 Falcon Black = 11

So it's effectively unchanged because the only color that changed is purple versus purple, where they used to be tied but you'd just put Falcon on the right, and if Falcon is forced to be in middle he'd likely have a level boost so he'll have a level boost and probably take purple anyway. Falcon always had red/blue/yellow over Daken and Daken always had green/black over Falcon.
    • Due to how the covers fell my Falcon is 4/5/4, and I'm looking forward to going 5/5/3 ASAP. The third yellow is a no-brainer, I like having the CD reduced by one, and I never find myself in a position to use purple until the match is essentially over due to the cost. If the cover increase decreased the cost instead of adding more tiles, then I might consider it. As it stands? Nah.
    • 2* daken not nearly as good as falcon partner because he only brings 1 strike tile per match, and my 3* daken only has 1 purple cover, making him less than ideal as well...

Kinda hard trying to figure out who I want to pair my Falcon with now. Might as well go my usual Patch + BP, since those are my only maxed characters I always end up using even when color coordination less than perfect.
    • areacode212
      areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
      I took a break for several months, so I don't have too many 3* covers. I'm running a 5/2/0 Falcon with 5/5/0 Daken 2* and 0/0/4 Classic Torch, and it's fun, but presumably garbage on defense. Matching green puts down strike tiles. Yellow upgrades them by a lot, then I activate Torch's green which already does crazy damage, but then is further augmented by the Falcon-enhanced strike tiles.
    • NorthernPolarity
      kalirion wrote:
      2* daken not nearly as good as falcon partner because he only brings 1 strike tile per match, and my 3* daken only has 1 purple cover, making him less than ideal as well...

Kinda hard trying to figure out who I want to pair my Falcon with now. Might as well go my usual Patch + BP, since those are my only maxed characters I always end up using even when color coordination less than perfect.

I don't think Falcon is very playable if you aren't running him with 3* Daken. He's just way too slow offensively to work with anyone consistently except Daken. I would bench him until you get the covers for 3* Daken.
    • 2* Daken used to be just fine when he generated 2 strike tiles but this obviously won't work anymore.

If you can get 3 strike tiles on the board, Falcon is slightly more powerful on offense than pre nerf Daken, which is a stupid amount of offense so it's still worth considering using him even without Daken. Of course, he literally does nothing until 3 strike tiles are on the board, so it can take a long time before his offense gets going. There's no point to bring Falcon for defensive purposes because anyone you'd really need Redwing on is too strong to be beaten without Daken + Falcon. Redwing is good against Sentry and Nick Fury, and neither are going to be defeated by sub optimal Falcon team like Punisher or BP + Falcon.
    • theshadeofopal
      theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
      His yellow should drop a random 30 strength special tile if there are 2 or less friendly yes on the board, after its normal effect. Solves his issue of being nigh useless early battle without spidey/Daken but not in a way that makes them anything close to their equals in the passive generation department.
    • A counter needs to be added to Falcon so you can see how much blue AP you have stocked.

Obviously it's not necessary if another blue power user is on the team, but if he is the only one then you can't tell how much blue AP is actually stored.
    • OnesOwnGrief
      OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
      If you are on mobile, have you tried swipping the character section of the screen to the right? Go ahead, give it a go.
    • If you are on mobile, have you tried swipping the character section of the screen to the right? Go ahead, give it a go.

Never actually knew that icon_lol.gif Would rep up more if i could

Thread closed.
    • icon_falcon.pngpurpleflag.png needs some serious work. It's too expensive, 12 puts it at a mid to late game ability that should be on par with killing at least one character. 8 is closer to what a defensive ability should cost. IM35 costs 8, C.Mags costs 8, BP costs 8. Then you do use it and about 1/3 of the effect is wiped away almost instantly because it's too massive, you match some they match some and now you are left with 6-9 instead of 11 or 14. Finally it dilutes Inspiration as that ability works best on concentrated tiles that are hard to destroy. It makes little sense to beef up 3 random tiles in your 11 spread just to have them matched away.

Some suggestions on how I would fix Bird Strike:
        Bird Strike - Purple 8 AP
        Falcon summons a massive flock of birds to swarm the battlefield, obscuring his team's position. Creates 3 protect tiles with a strength of 12.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Creates 5 Protect tiles. Level 3: Creates Strength 18 protect tiles. Level 4: Creates 8 Protect tiles. Level 5: Creates Strength 27 protect tiles.
        Max Level: Create 8 protect tiles with 120(ish) strength for each tile.
          Bird Strike - Passive
          Whenever you have 3 or more Purple AP, every time Redwing's Countdown tile resolves, he leaves a Strength 30 Protect Tile.
            Level 2: Creates Strength 36 Protect tiles. Level 3: Creates Strength 42 protect tiles. Level 4: Redwing's Countdown Tile also does X Damage to the enemy. Level 5: Damage X+20%.
          Max Level: Create 1 protect tiles with 240(ish) strength and does about 900-1100 damage for each tile.
            Bird Strike - 10 AP
            Falcon summons a massive flock of birds to swarm the battlefield, harassing the enemy and obscuring his team's position. Creates 5 purple Countdown tiles that when resolved do X damage and leave behind a shield tile of strength 21.
              Level 2: Creates Strength 25 Protect tiles. Level 3: Does X+10% Damage Level 4: Creates Strength 30 Protect tiles. Level 5: Does X+20% Damage.
            Max Level: Creates protect tiles with 140(ish) strength and does some amount of damage for each countdown.

That's three options it took me less than 15 minutes to come up with that are all more interesting than the existing Bird Strike (to me anyway). I realize the last one might compound the Sentry problem or create a new one, but it could easily be reduced to a single countdown. Similar to Escape Plan but leaves a shield tile and no up front damage.
          • NorthernPolarity
            Agreed. Demiurge just seems to considerably overestimate the power of defensive abilities, and usually make them cost twice what they actually cost. Probably a ploy to sell more health packs since if defensive abilities were actually good, then no one would be buying any (/sarcasm). Joking aside, One potential issue I see with the first version of bird flock is that it just seems nearly identical to C. Mags. Second and third option seem pretty cool though!