*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    IceIX wrote:
    I guess the only thing I want to know now is if Immovable Object reduces damage before or after defense/strike tiles.
    It reduces base damage. So 100 damage with 25 points of Strike tile increase would hit for 100*.5+25 damage, or 75. A 100 point hit with a 25 point Protect tile would hit for 100*.5-25, or 25.
    So Colossus' mighty metal body dampens all damage except for damage from little painted swords?

TIL - Colossus' secret Achilles' heel: little painted swords.
  • HailMary wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    I guess the only thing I want to know now is if Immovable Object reduces damage before or after defense/strike tiles.
    It reduces base damage. So 100 damage with 25 points of Strike tile increase would hit for 100*.5+25 damage, or 75. A 100 point hit with a 25 point Protect tile would hit for 100*.5-25, or 25.
    So Colossus' mighty metal body dampens all damage except for damage from little painted swords?

TIL - Colossus' secret Achilles' heel: little painted swords.
    I agree, this does seem like an error. IceIX, is there any possibility you guys will reconsider this and fix it before release?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seriously, strike tiles do not need to be even better than they already were.
  • Am I so wrong to think that a strike tile would multiply damage.....then the damage would be applied to the victim.

As it stands now, I hit the victim....then the multiplier comes around and hits the victim again.

Then OBW espionage should cause quadruple dipping.

Original hit....espionage..... here comes the multiplier.....and espionage.
  • I really don't understand why strike tiles are made to overwhelmingly better than any other type of special tile in this game. Do they think people aren't using strike tiles enough so there needs to be more incentive to use them? Was Captain Marvel made because Bullseye + Spiderman was too hard to beat in PvP? Shouldn't her special ability wipe out strike tiles instead, which would immediately propel her to the 'usable' range in the top tier. Not necessarily good in the top tier, but you'd definitely consider using someone who has an ability that can wipe away any strike tiles on the board at the top.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Just a few questions.
    1. What happens if colossus dies and his last living teammate is in air?
    2. Does damage reduction still apply to all party attacks?
    3. Do attacks with player controlled targeting like deceptive tactics or caps moves still allow player targeting when initiated by fastball?
    4. What is the reasoning behind not counting strike tile damage as reducible?
  • Has there been a clear consensus about what the best build is going to be yet?

Also why have people stopped putting up the polls when new characters are added? I felt this was a great way to see how the community was building out their heroes and how people played them?

Like asking: What build is best?
    5/5/3
    5/3/5
    3/5/5....etc.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say best build is 3,5,5. His yellow does not stop strike tile damage so the 45-50% reduction isn't as big of a deal. The biggest benefit to yellow is getting him out front before an attack. 3 turns should be more than enough to do that. He will also do max damage and his fastball will only delay 1 turn. I think this will be his best offensive build.
  • It's weird that having Captain Marvel tanking for Colossus could really help fuel his offensive skills. I'll probably aim for a 4/5/4 build to play test him until I determine if his Yellow is worth improving or if the delay on Fastball special is really worth reducing.

It would be awesome if his yellow countdown tile had a bonus effect of reducing enemy strike tile strength... Sort of like a Human Torch's Flame Jet mixed with an inversion of Falcon's Inspiration ie: reduce 2 enemy special tiles by X
  • fsentell wrote:
    Also why have people stopped putting up the polls when new characters are added? I felt this was a great way to see how the community was building out their heroes and how people played them?

I'd agree that they're helpful, and I wish the people who started the character threads would go ahead and add the polls. I think it gives newer players a lot of help in trying o figure out where the consensus is.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I'd argue that his best build is 5/5/3. Yellow is his signature ability. If you're running Colossus, you're doing it so that he can activate yellow and tank all the damage. I can't think of any other reason you'd want to run him. His red is strong, but not something you'll pick him for, and black while very cool is extremely expensive at 13 black ap. Other blacks at that cost (surgical strike, rage of the panther) are game enders.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Am I so wrong to think that a strike tile would multiply damage.....then the damage would be applied to the victim.

As it stands now, I hit the victim....then the multiplier comes around and hits the victim again.

Then OBW espionage should cause quadruple dipping.

Original hit....espionage..... here comes the multiplier.....and espionage.
    Strike tiles aren't multipliers. They simply add their damage values to every damaging move.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. What happens if colossus dies and his last living teammate is in air?

2 options:
    either they immediately fall to the ground and are unable to activate an attack upon landing
    OR
    they stay inactive and immune to damage till they land and activate their special.

Either way it could be a nice counter to those uber-powerful hits like World Rupture or Rage of the Panther that would otherwise kill anything in it's path.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Read somewhere in this forum (by Ice??) that the inactive member will wait out his turns until he's active again. In the meantime the enemy team continues their turns generating matches but not causing damage to the inactive character. If both enemy and player are stunned then u'll just wait out the turns and whoever comes out of inactive mode gets to move first.

Tried looking again to quote it but cant find it.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would be just like if the only remaining enemy had been turned invisible by IW, which makes sense.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    So if you could get 3 Colossuses (Colossii?) on a team, could you fastball special into a fastball special into a fastball special just for the hell of it?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks, I'm sure you just gave them an idea for a Deadpool-Deadpool-Deadpool-esque node....
  • Can't throw 2* daken :/

I really hope he gets added heroics. Now that we have it season rewards I'd like to try getting him covered more so I can decide if I like him.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Thanks, I'm sure you just gave them an idea for a Deadpool-Deadpool-Deadpool-esque node....

If we're lucky they'll also only give them black covers. Once they get 13 black it'll just be a flying circus of Colossi.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would build Colossus 4/5/4 or 5/5/3.

He is a PvE character only. On defense because of how the game is set up, even if he has his yellow out, a player can just attack another teammate and not have to worry about the dmg reduction. His black is too slow to be helpful when I could cast a Surgical Strike or Rage of the Panther instead, and his red is difficult to have go off if he is not the sole red user on the team. I like the character design and flavor, but he won't play in PvP which is fine, not every character needs to, just like I think Sentry isn't that good in PvE.

So being a PvE character I think 4/5/4 or 5/5/3 helps in that enviornment.