*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• does his black at 13ap not translate into - activate any ability? so now Ironman40 isnt as slow as you think?
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    silverrex wrote:
    does his black at 13ap not translate into - activate any ability? so now Ironman40 isnt as slow as you think?
    Thats how I read it, but is it random?? You throw IM40 hoping for blue/red and get yellow instead. At 13ap, though is that worth it? If you paired with another high HP person like IM40, chances are youve taken several hits from the AI before you use anyones abilities.
  • user311 wrote:
    silverrex wrote:
    does his black at 13ap not translate into - activate any ability? so now Ironman40 isnt as slow as you think?
    Thats how I read it, but is it random?? You throw IM40 hoping for blue/red and get yellow instead. At 13ap, though is that worth it? If you paired with another high HP person like IM40, chances are youve taken several hits from the AI before you use anyones abilities.

oh I see, your right. it sounds like the AI activates the skill for you. That could be interesting of who you throw and what skills they have. I might throw Lcap instead since all 3 skills are great and you get a big ap return.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2014
    Sandmaker wrote:
    I made a change.
      Immovable Object - Yellow 8 AP
      Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. Turns a chosen basic Yellow tile into a 3 turn Countdown tile. While active, Colossus moves to the front at end of turn, and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him. If the team has 0 AP in all colors, the power can be cast for free.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Damage reduction up to 35% Level 3: Damage reduction up to 45% Level 4: Lasts 4 turns Level 5: Damage reduction up to 50%, lasts 5 turns

0 AP = free casting. This makes Colossus immediately useful at the start of a match, protecting the team during the initial rounds. It matches his comic persona of immediately armoring up when the team is caught flat-footed. It gives some time for the rest of his team to rally behind him. This would be a block against fast Sentry wins.

This is by far the best idea I've seen. Addresses the speed problem, without running the danger of having too low of an AP cost and turning the ability into a full time 50% damage shield for your team. Also very in character and serve the role he's trying to fill.

Right. 8 AP feels like the right cost for the mid to late game.

It's way too expensive for the early game, but also rather weak for the early game, so making it free would be good.

I've been trying to think of ways to exploit it. With careful matching, a "go back to 0 AP" strategy is possible, with characters like BP, Deadpool, Doom, Ragnarok, She-Hulk, and Storm.

79/13/70/12/11/61/3.5 - _9/__/_8/__/__/12 - 8500 - [goto=blackpanther3]Black Panther[/goto] (Man Without Fear)
      13/61/11/79/12/70/4.5 - __/_6/__/14/__/PA - 6800 - [goto=deadpool3]Deadpool[/goto] (It's Me, Deadpool)
      10/11/69/54/12/61/3.0 - __/__/_9/__/__/12 - 7176 - [goto=doctordoom3]Doctor Doom[/goto] (Classic)
      11/61/11/12/61/12/3.0 - __/_6/__/__/_6/__ - 8611 - [goto=ragnarok3]Ragnarok[/goto] (Dark Avengers)
      13/70/79/12/61/11/3.0 - __/_9/_9/__/12/__ -10200- [goto=shehulk3]She-Hulk[/goto] (Modern)
      70/12/11/13/79/61/3.5 - _9/__/__/__/10/_9 - 5100 - [goto=storm3]Storm[/goto] (Mohawk)

Board-shaking wreaks the strategy, so Doom, Rags, She-Hulk, and Storm are pretty much out.

So Colossus, Deadpool, Black Panther. Stick to 3-matches, whittle opponents down with Deadpool and renew Immovable Object for free when it expires, then go for Rage of the Panther. It might work as a strategy, but I'm pretty sure it would fall apart quickly on most boards. It occurs to me I need to tweak my own tweak to keep Colossus from turning every Yellow tile into a counter.

"If the team has 0 AP in all colors and no counters, the power can be cast for free."

I really, really like Immovable Object as a defensive counter for Sentry. Currently, boosted Sentry wins in three turns against any team. With the "0 AP = free" tweak, he won't be able to kill a Colossus team on turn three.
    • I would love it if his Yellow power worked more like Falcon's Redwing power:

(Passive) Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. if the team has at least 8 Yellow AP, he converts a basic Yellow tile into a 3 turn Countdown tile. While active, Colossus moves to the front at end of turn, and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him.
    • NorthernPolarity
      NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
      edited September 2014
      Phaserhawk wrote:
      Ohhhhh. I now see the big problem with this guy and why he'll suck. You'll never get red to go off for full power without yellow since yellow is his strongest tile color and not red icon_e_sad.gif. Please change tile strength to have red strongest or he's gonna suck. Unless you have him as your only red user that's the only way to get that 11th red and use it the following turn if you want max damage. Otherwise say you run him with Sentry or Torch. You have 8 red you do a match 3 so sentry or torch will be out front at end of turn. Meaning unless you also have 8 yellow or 13 black or you have all ready casted yellow otherwise you are going to have to hope there is a match with Colossus as the tile owner otherwise you won't be able to max cast it the following turn either. Please, please , please flip flop tile strength of red and yellow

Or you could just get the red ap to cast the ability and then make a yellow match... I dont think this is going to be as big of a deal as you think. I actually kinda like it this way to be honest: it makes it more challenging team comp wise to get colossus red to activate, which adds more thinking to the game: you dont want to make getting beefed red off too trivial.
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Even if free he won't stop a turn 3 Sentry from killing your team. Because World Rupture is AoE he can't stand in front, thus while he would take 50% reduced damage, the rest of the team does not, so at best you have a Colossus that took 3-5K worth of damage instead of 6-10K but the rest of the team is dead, he's at half health and the only one left on the team.
    • ZeiramMR
      ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
      I think people are selling his shield short, but it does remain to be seen in play. Even assuming that his maxed yellow when the AI is playing him is out for only 3 of the 5 turns before it can be matched away. It's easy to say that you can just save you big attacks for it to wear off, but that's still time that weaker artillery/support teammates are alive and accumulating AP. It may be time to get the rest of the AP for a big AoE. It's not as predictable an impact as a Battleplan, but it's not worthless either.
    • Nonce Equitaur 2
      Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
      Phaserhawk wrote:
      Even if free he won't stop a turn 3 Sentry from killing your team. Because World Rupture is AoE he can't stand in front, thus while he would take 50% reduced damage, the rest of the team does not, so at best you have a Colossus that took 3-5K worth of damage instead of 6-10K but the rest of the team is dead, he's at half health and the only one left on the team.

"Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way." -- I thought this would protect against AOE attacks.

then again ...

"Magneto hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter." -- I thought this was an AOE attack.
    • Gowaderacer
      Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
      So how does Intimidation and Anti-Grav device work with Immovable Object since it is a countdown tile we want to stay on the board?
    • CrookedKnight
      CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
      I agree with Northern Polarity - a red ability that gets buffed when used after a red match will be buffed practically all the time, which seems like a bit much.

(Also I thought it was clear that scattering the enemy team referred to destroying team-up tiles)
    • Enoc99
      Enoc99 Posts: 141
      So how does Intimidation and Anti-Grav device work with Immovable Object since it is a countdown tile we want to stay on the board?
      I would assume the same way it does with Falcon's countdown tile.
    • IceIX
      IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
      Enoc99 wrote:
      Yep, just something you have to take into account with those abilities.
    • Nellyson
      Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
      So IceX,

Will Immovable Object reduce an AOE attack then? Like Rage of the Panther will just hit the team for 35% or 50% less with however many covers you have or will just Colossus take all of the AOE attack?
    • I'd assume it reduces damage to just him.

At first glance I really like Colossus. That yellow power is awesome. 5 covers for that obviously, but I"m torn between making his Red an AoE and making Fastball Special trigger faster.
    • Enoc99 wrote:

Hey look, a reason for Bagman to exist!
    • Phaserhawk
      Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
      Phaserhawk wrote:

"Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way." -- I thought this would protect against AOE attacks.

then again ...

"Magneto hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter." -- I thought this was an AOE attack.

Yeah, I was hoping too, but no it works very similiar to how Deadpools's Black works, but for Colossus he doesn't trigger on a damage threshhold like Deadpool, his is triggered by that CD tile being out, so as long as that CD tile is out no matter who you ended the turn with, Colossus will jump to the front to block the next incoming damage whether it's match or ability it doesnt' matter he will take it, however because AoE's don't target a specific character, characters like Deadpool and Colossus won't be able to jump in front unless it's a target plus AoE damage, so take Thor. If you have a team of Col/Panther/Torch and Thor goes to Call of the Storm, because Collossus is out front he'll take the target damage, but Torch and Panther will still eat the AoE. So AoE's get around this because they damage everyone not just the guy in the front.

So yeah, if Sentry goes off, it still wont' help the other two icon_e_sad.gif
    • OnesOwnGrief
      OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
      I guess the only thing I want to know now is if Immovable Object reduces damage before or after defense/strike tiles.
    • Moral
      Moral Posts: 512
      edited September 2014
      IceIX wrote:
      Enoc99 wrote:
      Yep, just something you have to take into account with those abilities.

Will Colossus still jump to the front while the Redwing tile exists, like the XForce yellow countdown still works after being hit by Redwing?

In case you missed it, Redwing taking the XForce healing tile doesn't trigger damage. Matching that same Redwing tile during its countdown does trigger XForce's damage and tile destruction.
    • wymtime
      wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
      Phaserhawk wrote:
      Ohhhhh. I now see the big problem with this guy and why he'll suck. You'll never get red to go off for full power without yellow since yellow is his strongest tile color and not red icon_e_sad.gif. Please change tile strength to have red strongest or he's gonna suck. Unless you have him as your only red user that's the only way to get that 11th red and use it the following turn if you want max damage. Otherwise say you run him with Sentry or Torch. You have 8 red you do a match 3 so sentry or torch will be out front at end of turn. Meaning unless you also have 8 yellow or 13 black or you have all ready casted yellow otherwise you are going to have to hope there is a match with Colossus as the tile owner otherwise you won't be able to max cast it the following turn either. Please, please , please flip flop tile strength of red and yellow

Or you could just get the red ap to cast the ability and then make a yellow match... I dont think this is going to be as big of a deal as you think. I actually kinda like it this way to be honest: it makes it more challenging team comp wise to get colossus red to activate, which adds more thinking to the game: you dont want to make getting beefed red off too trivial.

LThor and Colossus the new hevy hitter combo. Match red and yellow, hit Colossus red with him in front, Lthor yellow to lead into CoTS. I don't think Hulk could survive that?