*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Seems like 5/5/3 is the way to go. The only benefit you get from going to 5 in black is a decrease in airborne time from 3 turns to 1 turn. This can easily be planned around by firing off any abilities that are ready to go before throwing the teammate. Plus, there are several instances where it beneficial to have a teammate airborne for longer, such as if you're trying to protect someone with low health while you gather the AP to fire off a game-ending ability.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Phantron wrote:
    On his black, is the one ability you get for free random or chosen?

You choose the character, but the ability is random, at least thats how the ability seems like it reads. "Chosen" should be in front of the word ability if it was otherwise.
    Exactly.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    Seems like 5/5/3 is the way to go. The only benefit you get from going to 5 in black is a decrease in airborne time from 3 turns to 1 turn. This can easily be planned around by firing off any abilities that are ready to go before throwing the teammate. Plus, there are several instances where it beneficial to have a teammate airborne for longer, such as if you're trying to protect someone with low health while you gather the AP to fire off a game-ending ability.

I'm not so sure about this: the point I'm thinking about is that by the time you get 13 black AP (which should normally be a near game ender anyways), you need the damage to come through fast as the game will probably reach the point where some guy on the enemy team has enough AP to wreck you if you don't kill him in the next 2 turns. My gut reaction says to go 3/5/5 because when in doubt, defensive moves that cost 9+ AP are usually terrible.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love that in every single one of these interviews, the demiurge guys never know the colours of existing characters. Last time XForce was announced as being the only Green/Black/Yellow (despite 2 version of Storm with those colours) and this time XForce apparently has Red/Black/Yellow.
  • At first glance, I would go for 355 also.
  • So the most reliable teammates he should throw would be:

Patch, Daken, Fury, Sentry, Deadpool

If you throw LCap, do you still get to select which tiles to overwrite? I'm eager to throw the guy that throws a shield icon_e_wink.gif

...Orin Fury's case throw the guy that calls the guy that throws the shield
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    IceIX, does Colossus do anything on defense with his yellow countdown tile? Can players still target his teammates?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Red Panda wrote:
    So the most reliable teammates he should throw would be:

Patch, Daken, Fury, Sentry, Deadpool

If you throw LCap, do you still get to select which tiles to overwrite? I'm eager to throw the guy that throws a shield icon_e_wink.gif

...Orin Fury's case throw the guy that calls the guy that throws the shield
    The problem is that a lot of these don't really work.
    Patch is bad because colossus tanks yellow/red for him, so TBTI does little to nothing.
    Daken is bad because you're spending 13AP on a 5AP ability.
    Deadpool is a 50/50 on either being really good or really terrible, but having both a purple 14AP ability and a black 13AP ability probably just leads to one of those abilities being dead.
    Sentry seems mixed: there are a lot of situations where you don't want to throw him into a supernova or sacrifice (like when the game is about to end).

[Assuming you can choose where to place tiles on abilities that require tile placement like GSBW's purple, etc.]
    The only characters that I really being consistently good from the throw is Fury, Cap, and a IM40 with high recharge.
    LazyThor / Deadpool have a 66%/50% of being a good throw, otherwise mediocre.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, his black is a bonus power. Just fight as you normally would. Most reds are popular, but also a lot of those could be weak. I like his powers and want to test them out. Great color combo tho! What if the black was changed to purple tho??? Random but hey, we need more purple right?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    jozier wrote:
    A tank character sounds absolutely idiotic in the meta of MPQ. The devs clearly don't even play their own game.

He looks great to me. His yellow is a damage reduction ability, which means that it is currently THE only damage resistance ability; totally different from Deadpool. If Deadpool takes a blue fury trap, he takes 10k dmg and dies. If Colossus takes the blue fury trap, the damage is reduced by half to 5k and he survives.

And because he's a tank, each health pack actually gives more value, because it heals 10k health. It goes a long way in extending play.

Finally, he has a AOE, which means that he is better offensively than hulk and CM.
    jozier wrote:

I guess they really do. Force everybody to waste $$$ on shields every few hours, and then on health packs.

I don't know how the rant about taking damage leads to shields expenditure. If you are not shield hopping, you can always plan your push such that you use only 1 shield for a full pvp.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 wrote:

I'm not so sure about this: the point I'm thinking about is that by the time you get 13 black AP (which should normally be a near game ender anyways), you need the damage to come through fast as the game will probably reach the point where some guy on the enemy team has enough AP to wreck you if you don't kill him in the next 2 turns. My gut reaction says to go 3/5/5 because when in doubt, defensive moves that cost 9+ AP are usually terrible.
    I suppose it depends on how Immovable Object (yellow) treats AOE abilities. Does the ability stop Colossus' teammates from being hurt? If so, does Colossus get hit by the move 3x or just once?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Hey IceIX! For his red, when you guys say "in front", do you mean his yellow ability has to be active, or can he just be in front by performing a match-3 where his color strength is the strongest? Jozier brought up a good point that he's automatically placed "in front" when he casts the ability anyways. I interpreted it as if hes the only red guy and you match-3 red to place him in front, you can use the red ability for full damage.
  • vudu3
    Pretty sure it means the CD tile for Immovable Object has to be active. It's similar to Beast's Animal Inside ability which is much stronger when there's a blue special tile on the board.
  • NorthernPolarity
    vudu3 wrote:
    Pretty sure it means the CD tile for Immovable Object has to be active. It's similar to Beast's Animal Inside ability which is much stronger when there's a blue special tile on the board.

If so, then Colossus gets a lot worse than I originally thought, and will be demoted from mid to high mid-tier to beast tier.
  • jozier wrote:
    A tank character sounds absolutely idiotic in the meta of MPQ. The devs clearly don't even play their own game.

Great, Colossus absorbed damage for one match. Now he's out of commission for 4 hours. Do the devs really think the ideal game mechanic is one match every couple hours?

I guess they really do. Force everybody to waste $$$ on shields every few hours, and then on health packs.

Another wonderful character with self damage and a health pack thirst. The devs are consistent if not anything else positive.

Great job continuing to ruin what was once a fun, strategy filled game and turning it into Candy Crush Marvel. When can I expect to ask my friends on facebook for health packs so I can keep playing?

Maybe they do think like that.

Maybe their server overload problem have been fixed via true healing and other changes which cut back on gameplay.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Yellow has 4 posted twice. Something seems wrong there.
    Whoops, my mistake. Starts at 5. In my defense, the build has it listed as 4 as well, which is a bug that'll be fixed before release.

So it goes from 5 turns to 4 turns to 5 turns? That would mean the 4th level is actively harmful to the character, and two covers gives just a 5% increase.
      Immovable Object - Yellow 8 AP
      Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. Turns a chosen basic Yellow tile into a 5 turn Countdown tile. While active, Colossus moves to the front at end of turn, and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Damage reduction up to 35% Level 3: Damage reduction up to 45% Level 4: Lasts 4 turns Level 5: Damage reduction up to 50%, lasts 5 turns
    • IceIX wrote:
      Yellow has 4 posted twice. Something seems wrong there.
      Whoops, my mistake. Starts at 5. In my defense, the build has it listed as 4 as well, which is a bug that'll be fixed before release.

So it goes from 5 turns to 4 turns to 5 turns? That would mean the 4th level is actively harmful to the character, and two covers gives just a 5% increase.
        Immovable Object - Yellow 8 AP
        Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. Turns a chosen basic Yellow tile into a 5 turn Countdown tile. While active, Colossus moves to the front at end of turn, and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Damage reduction up to 35% Level 3: Damage reduction up to 45% Level 4: Lasts 4 turns Level 5: Damage reduction up to 50%, lasts 5 turns

I'm guessing it's a typo and the base duration is 3 turns at level 1? Nothing else would even make sense.
      • FierceKiwi
        FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
        vudu3 wrote:

Of course Beast doesn't need his Blue Special just a Blue Special and it reads like Colossus is the same he needs to be in front before the ability fires it doesn't really say he needs to be there because of the Yellow.
      • NorthernPolarity
        Some more theory on black:

Black costs 13AP. 13 AP is 5 match-3s, which means that it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to use the ability unless you actually prioritize the color. Think Falcon's purple when you use Daken + Falcon. If you aren't prioritizing purple, how many times did you actually have enough incidental AP to cast bird strike? Almost never, I would imagine.

This means that in order to use black, you have to prioritize it, which means that it needs to be really good for you to get 13AP's worth of value out of it. This also means that arguments along the lines of "But black is an unused color, so having even a mediocre black ability is still a lot better than no black ability right?" do NOT work, because if you aren't prioritizing the color, then chances are you aren't going to cast the ability, which means that its not really that much better than having no black ability at all. This brings us to an interesting guideline that I think I will use heavily from now on: If an ability costs more than 9 AP (especially for abilities that cost 13+ AP), then you have to prioritize the color in order to reliably cast it. If the ability is not good enough to be prioritized, then it's probably a bad ability.

Colossus's black ability is only consistently worth casting with Fury I believe, so if you aren't using it with Fury, then it's probably not going to be used at all.
      • Nonce Equitaur 2
        Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
        Phantron wrote:
        I'm guessing it's a typo and the base duration is 3 turns at level 1? Nothing else would even make sense.

If so, IceIX made a typo while talking about a typo? But I agree, 3 turns at the start is the only thing that makes sense.