Warning: Power Cap

Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ Tips and Guides
There is a combined limit to how much your Powers can be raised. The levels of all your Powers cannot exceed your character's Potential Max. For example if a character's Potential Max is 50 and he has 3 Powers, he cannot have 3 level 20 powers since 3 x 20 = 60 is greater the Potential Max. He will have to settle for something like 15, 15, and 20. I found out about this the hard way and I wish there was some kind of warning or something.

Comments

• Seriously?! That blows; I wish I had known that as well. Wth?
  • Was in the back of my mind it could work that way. Keeping a skill back to max another
  • Oops, I thought everybody knew that already. That showed up as a tip
  • Question: How does one calculate the cap with the new cover-leveling system?

Example:

With one green cover, X-Force Wolverine is listed at level 30.

By some miracle, I pulled a second cover for him (same color, but I’m not complaining), but when I used it to level the first cover’s skill, I was only able to raise his level to 46.

In theory, I should have been able to raise his level to 60, right?
  • BigChris wrote:
    Question: How does one calculate the cap with the new cover-leveling system?

Example:

By some miracle, I pulled a second cover for him (same color, but I’m not complaining), but when I used it to level the first cover’s skill, I was only able to raise his level to 46.

Actually the math gets a little funny:

Wolverine stars at level 30 with whatever cover of his you're lucky enough to find first. His max level is 230 so the math is:

230(Max level) - 30 (level with 1 power) = 200 levels to go. 200 ÷ 12 (13 max power levels minus the 1 you start with) = 16.66667

Therefore you make 16 to 17 levels per power level. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Being terrible at math and somewhat confused by this new system, how do I determine the cap for 2* and 3* cards?
  • jctau2002 wrote:
    Being terrible at math and somewhat confused by this new system, how do I determine the cap for 2* and 3* cards?

If you mean the cover's level cap, that is stated on the card (Max Level); if you mean the power level cap, it's the same for all cards depending on if they have 2 or 3 powers. For covers with 3 powers, you can have a max of 13 levels of power so you can have 5/4/4 or 5/5/3 or any other combination that adds up to 13 or less; 2 power cards you can have them both maxed at level 5 (for 10 total levels of power) however if you do this, remember that if the devs ever add a third power to a card (which they do on occasion), you will be limited to 3 power levels in that third power (since your first two would already be at level 5).

Hopefully that made sense and actually answered your question. icon_e_smile.gif
  • hogunner wrote:
    jctau2002 wrote:
    Being terrible at math and somewhat confused by this new system, how do I determine the cap for 2* and 3* cards?

If you mean the cover's level cap, that is stated on the card (Max Level); if you mean the power level cap, it's the same for all cards depending on if they have 2 or 3 powers. For covers with 3 powers, you can have a max of 13 levels of power so you can have 5/4/4 or 5/5/3 or any other combination that adds up to 13 or less; 2 power cards you can have them both maxed at level 5 (for 10 total levels of power) however if you do this, remember that if the devs ever add a third power to a card (which they do on occasion), you will be limited to 3 power levels in that third power (since your first two would already be at level 5).

Hopefully that made sense and actually answered your question. icon_e_smile.gif

Yeah, I was referring to the power level cap so I should've clarified but you did answer the question. Good thing I've only partially messed up 1 card not knowing that the max was 13 power levels. Thanks for the response!
  • hogunner wrote:
    BigChris wrote:
    Question: How does one calculate the cap with the new cover-leveling system?

Example:

Actually the math gets a little funny:

Wolverine stars at level 30 with whatever cover of his you're lucky enough to find first. His max level is 230 so the math is:

230(Max level) - 30 (level with 1 power) = 200 levels to go. 200 ÷ 12 (13 max power levels minus the 1 you start with) = 16.66667

Therefore you make 16 to 17 levels per power level. icon_e_smile.gif
    So I took the plunge and dropped some dollars on the game. Bought the 30th cover slot (ugh....so effing expensive....) and a lot of covers. Not too thrilled with the insane number of modern Hawkeyes and Bag Mans...but that's another thread...

The good news is that I pulled my 3rd ****Wolverine cover, and a different color this time to boot!

The problem is that I was only able to raise his level from 46 to 50... what gives?
  • BigChris wrote:
    The good news is that I pulled my 3rd ****Wolverine cover, and a different color this time to boot!

The problem is that I was only able to raise his level from 46 to 50... what gives?

I noticed that new skills, as in first talent point in skill, tend to rise current max level by very little. For two-star characters it's usually just one level.
    It's the subsequent talent points that give those nice level increases.
  • I wish I had seen this earlier... My Thor is 5/3/5, would've rather had him at 5/5/3 :[
  • "re-spec" item/option is a fairly requested feature, so you may be lucky in the future (but developers' priorities are inscrutable...)