** Black Widow (Original) ** [PRE 2014-06]

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    If I can get her to 3/5/5, she's on my team if they ever have a 2-star tournament. Her job will be to heal Thor and... the other one.

Wolvie!
    Thor and Wolvie are both great, but I want to shake it up a little.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    I think I'll go for 4/5/4 or 5/5/3.
    However, OBW is perfect with Thor and Wolverine, especially if you haven't build a good Classic Storm yet.
  • One thing to note now that I'm using Wolverine often is that her black passive damage procs strike tiles. So essentially when she makes a match and a strike tile is on the board, she gets two procs from a match. TONS OF DAMAGE.
  • That's a very useful note - that makes me want at least 4 in black. Still don't know if I want 4/5/4 or 3/5/5 though.
  • I went 5/3/5. I just don't see that much use from a 5 in blue. Although there has been times where I want to heal and I cannot get the timer off the board to heal. I take her mostly for damage and steals with healing as a backup. Plus if you are in tourneys and whatnot I don't see all that many countdown tiles in play.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    I've got her 5/3/2 right now; I'm thinking I should go with 5/3/5. I've got a 5/5/3 Spidey for my heals.
  • For the times when your fighting again't the higher level H.A.M.M.E.R/ Maggia/ etc. members and their countdown tiles are about to go off the 5 in blue make a differnce. Instead of getting 1 shot you, the 5 in blue actually give you some breathing room/ a mini heal.

As for if the rest should go into 5/5/4, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5. I'm still torn between what to choose icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif

Also for those of you who are lucky enough to get a Spiderman to 5 yellow, stop bragging. Not all of us are lucky enough to get it, and therefore need a substitute healer till then icon_e_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_e_sad.gif
  • For the times when your fighting again't the higher level H.A.M.M.E.R/ Maggia/ etc. members and their countdown tiles are about to go off the 5 in blue make a differnce. Instead of getting 1 shot you, the 5 in blue actually give you some breathing room/ a mini heal.

As for if the rest should go into 5/5/4, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5. I'm still torn between what to choose icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif

Also for those of you who are lucky enough to get a Spiderman to 5 yellow, stop bragging. Not all of us are lucky enough to get it, and therefore need a substitute healer till then icon_e_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_e_sad.gif

3/5/5. Which is the same build as Spidey -- you don't want 5 yellow on Spidey. It's the 5 blue that's key.

Even if you have a 5 blue Spidey, having a 5 blue Widow is still useful. As Apollo notes, the effect on countdown tiles is great. More importantly, however, is that if you're in a tournament where you cannot use Spidey then you'll be happy to have Widow (potentially) available for the same reason as Spidey -- countdown control and healing.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    I have to say I'd love to use her with wolverine..

Just tell me if i got this right:

At 3 purp 5 black id need 8 purple AP for hwr skill.
    Due to her black ability I can get those in 2 purple matches if im lucky.
    And wolverines atk marker would deal double dmg when she makes a purple match, due to her black skill dmg?
  • The ability functions to take AP from the opponent. That you can further make use of said AP is an added bonus.

However as a game, I think the ability would be better if the ability always took AP in a match.

You cam be sure that when boosted she would always be the hitter.
  • Yes, I also want some confirmation as to what exactly the 4/5 rank of the Black passive does. Does it only proc once if their are strike tiles, or does it keep proc'ing the more strike tiles you have.
  • 5 in black just increases her espionage damage a bit more. It doesn't give any more procs than 4 in black does. So if you are looking for extra strike damage it isn't a necessity to take it to 5.

The 4/5 in black adds an extra bit of damage after SHE makes a match in blue/purple/black. The extra damage counts as another separate attack because it happens after the damage from the match so that's why it procs the strikes tiles again after.. I've had it where she done 1500 or more in damage with a bunch of strike tiles and she makes a single match in her colors.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    That really sound nice.
    How much dmg does the skill by itself give on max/high lvl?
  • I have an 85 Black Widow and her espionage will add 56 damage to her matches at level 4. Mine is 5/5/3 so I don't what level 5 adds but it doesn't seem like a lot since I normally use Wolverine and his 89 damage strike tiles.
  • lavs23 wrote:
    I have an 85 Black Widow and her espionage will add 56 damage to her matches at level 4. Mine is 5/5/3 so I don't what level 5 adds but it doesn't seem like a lot since I normally use Wolverine and his 89 damage strike tiles.

Espionage have to be level 4 to add damage.
  • Frozen wrote:
    lavs23 wrote:
    I have an 85 Black Widow and her espionage will add 56 damage to her matches at level 4. Mine is 5/5/3 so I don't what level 5 adds but it doesn't seem like a lot since I normally use Wolverine and his 89 damage strike tiles.

Espionage have to be level 4 to add damage.

You can still see what your underleveled power would do at the next level if you're 13/13.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Sigh. I've read this thread three times. I have my OBW at 3/5/2 and a purple cover waiting for a decision.
    From reading this thread, because I already have her at 5 blue, I should go with...4/5/4 or 5/5/3 or 3/5/5. icon_e_confused.gif I have no idea what to do!

My understanding of the differences:
    3/5/5. You can use Aggressive Recon every 2 matches potentially, if she manages to steal a purple from the enemy each match. Otherwise you have to make 3 matches. Doesn't steal purple or black. You get +112 damage to her matches, plus extra procs if you have strike tiles.

4/5/4. You can steal 4 AP of every color but purple, for a cost of 10. That requires making 3 purple matches. You also get +66 damage to her matches, plus extra procs if you have strike tiles.

5/5/3. You steal for a cost of 11. That's 3 purple matches, if she steals from the enemy every time. Otherwise you'll have to make 4 matches. But now she also steals 4 purple with Aggressive Recon, meaning you only have to make 1-2 more matches before she can use it again. That could potentially be pretty awesome, if you haven't already completely cleaned out the enemy, which you very well may have. Her matches do no additional damage with only 3 in black.

So from reading this summary, I'm leaning towards...3/5/5? Her primary role would be stealing. Healing is just a perk because she will probably often be grouped with people who have better uses for blue. For this reason, I've also come to the conclusion that her ideal spec would've been 5/3/5. But too late for that icon_e_sad.gif Also probably wouldn't want to group her with Loki or Classic Spidey because they do more purple damage then her, so she would never steal the extra AP.

How'd I do?

EDIT: If anybody's interested, I finally settled on 3/5/5. No regrets. She's perfect at this spec. She's a staple on my 2* team now.
  • I'm going 3/5/5 and here why:

My lineup depends on snowballing early. Hence, stealing 3 AP from most colors for 8 AP is good for me. I don't want to overshoot it - early on being able to steal more when in the early game people may have only 1-3 AP of a color means you're spending more AP and not really stealing much. Plus, most matches are triplets, so being able to steal 4 AP per color is useless early - when most matches are triplets. Also, if you start with 6 purple AP, you only need one purple match to start stealing, or if you're lucky, wipe a row/column with 2 purples. As someone stated above, starting with 3 purple AP + 1 match + steal will also give you 8 AP.

The other reason is that I love Espionage. Some people complain that if you pair BW up with another black user, then she will not match black. This is false if you use her with Moonstone as they are both 2* with the same black growth. This means you basically just need BW 1 level above Moonstone in most occasions. Now I admit that I usually do not pair BW up with Moonstone, but this all-female event makes the pairing pretty nice. The main reason though is I love the extra damage. I know 112 max extra damage may not sound enticing, but if you manage to chain together a lot (which I do with Lightning Storm and Thor), Espionage will start feeling pretty useful.
  • pumkin wrote:
    Sigh. I've read this thread three times.

I'm in the same boat as you. This is a brilliant character as there is no consensus on her build. I've got her at 3/3/2 and 3 blues and 3 purples sitting in the cache. icon_e_confused.gif
  • I'm leaning 3/5/5. I have a 3/5/3 right now.

As people saw with IM40's yellow, increasing the AP cost of an ability is often not worth it for the benefits. Rather be able to trigger the steal earlier than steal 4 or steal more at a later time in the match.
This discussion has been closed.