*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• Pylgrim wrote:
    Nellyson wrote:
    abysmal

A word that sums up this character quite nicely.

He's the Yelena of ***s.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the fact that the blue special tiles it generate are so close to each other. It get matched so easily.

If the special tiles are created randomly, ala Punisher judgement style, then it has a higher chance of remaining in play.
  • atomzed wrote:
    I hate the fact that the blue special tiles it generate are so close to each other. It get matched so easily.

If the special tiles are created randomly, ala Punisher judgement style, then it has a higher chance of remaining in play.

It's an X, as in X-men. Clever right? The first two seconds? Then not clever anymore and **** that's awful?
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    I know this point is going to be moot, in like a day, but beast pairs nicely with Cmags atm. Just free farm with mags blue till you can use beast for some team damage. Again, will be moot next patch
  • Highdark wrote:
    I know this point is going to be moot, in like a day, but beast pairs nicely with Cmags atm. Just free farm with mags blue till you can use beast for some team damage. Again, will be moot next patch

Unless it's going to end the game there's no reason to put a Magnetic Field down just for Animal Inside. You can't even say set up a matchable match 5 and then use Animal Inside because once you have some covers in it, the cascade will most likely make you unable to make that match 5 anymore.
  • Can anyone tell me what the devs can do to make beast blue usable?
    Out of all the times I've used it I've got 4 special tiles once, 2 were matched immediately. All the other times it only did 2 special tiles and the last one only one special tile.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can anyone tell me what the devs can do to make beast blue usable?
    Out of all the times I've used it I've got 4 special tiles once, 2 were matched immediately. All the other times it only did 2 special tiles and the last one only one special tile.

Making it turn 4 random blue tiles anywhere on the board into special tiles would probably work.
  • Does anyone know if a Blue Trap is considered a special tile for beasts skills?
  • Well friendly traps can't be destroyed by Magneto's Magnetized Projectiles, so I guess Beast could recognize friendly traps as special tiles?.. I'll just check in Story.

Edit: yep, placed an Equalizer, used Beast's green, tiles were smashed.
  • Can anyone tell me what the devs can do to make beast blue usable?

Making it turn 4 random blue tiles anywhere on the board into special tiles would probably work.
    Or instead of forming an x shape the attack just chooses 4 of the 8 surrounding tiles that aren't team ups. It also shouldn't change the color to blue because then they can be matches easily.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you use his blue with 13 blue tiles on the board, most of the tiles it creates will get matched away immediately. With the close-set blue pattern it creates and the ~1/3 chance of the countdown being created on an edge, you're lucky to keep more than two special tiles on the board by the time it goes off.

I don't think this is a bug, just a flawed design.
  • Typhon13 wrote:

Or instead of forming an x shape the attack just chooses 4 of the 8 surrounding tiles that aren't team ups. It also shouldn't change the color to blue because then they can be matches easily.

The problem is that no matter what tiles are chosen for the special tiles, if they are directly next to the countdown then best case scenario is they last until the end of your turn. Even if the countdown tile disappeared and then the special tiles were placed (which would be the best we can hope for), then there is still a great chance they will be insta-matched or matched by the other team on the following turn. The only solution is to place them randomly across the whole board.

Edit: Please quick fix this in the R60 update. I am probably one of the few people who haven't already written Beast off. Thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
  • I don't have a problem with the tiles turning blue. For one his other abilities need blue special tiles to work. But let's say 4 blue tiles get matched the moment they turn into blue, so that'd either be a match 4 or 2 match 3s. In the former case that's spending 4 blue AP for 4 random AP + a row/column cascade which is not a bad conversion. In the latter case it's spending 2 blue AP for a weak cascade. While it's not the greatest thing in the world it's not a terrible loss either. The problem with his blue is often you don't get 4 tiles at all because of its selection. I'd say just change 4 random tiles to blue specials would work, or at least check all the 8 tiles next to the CD for eligibility.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't have a problem with the tiles turning blue. For one his other abilities need blue special tiles to work. But let's say 4 blue tiles get matched the moment they turn into blue, so that'd either be a match 4 or 2 match 3s
    How are you getting a match4 or two match3's out of a 3x3 X configuration? I feel like I'm missing something here...
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't have a problem with the tiles turning blue. For one his other abilities need blue special tiles to work. But let's say 4 blue tiles get matched the moment they turn into blue, so that'd either be a match 4 or 2 match 3s
    How are you getting a match4 or two match3's out of a 3x3 X configuration? I feel like I'm missing something here...

Well I think it should be any 4 tiles not just an X. In a X configuration if all 4 gets matched immediately they'd have formed 2X3 matches though because that's the only way it would've been auto matched.
  • It could easily be a match 4.

**B*B**
    ***c***
    **B*B**

That's what it looks like when the countdown tile goes off. The new **** appear. Now if any of those star tiles are already blue....
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    atomzed wrote:

I want to match more blue to cast Mutagenic Breakthrough again and not destroy my newly acquired special tiles. Plus, if all blue tiles are overwritten I just can't cast it again because CD also needs a blue basic tile. So it's better that tiles are completely random like Punisher's. On the other hand, I do want to always have some blue special tiles for other two powers and not rely on RNG completely. But if all 4 are made (converted to) blue it increases the chance for some to be matched right away again (which may not be entirely bad but either way too reminiscent of old Magneto, *sob*). So how about a compromise?
      Mutagenic Breakthrough - Blue 8 AP
      Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Creates a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile that, when activated, converts 4
      random basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 28,
      one created tile is blue
      Level 3: Reduces to 2 turn cooldown
      Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 33,
      two created tiles are blue
      Level 5: Reduces to 1 turn cooldown
    • NorthernPolarity
      NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
      Yeah the serious issues that blue has (i mean the ability clearly wasnt designed to randomly destroy the tiles that you just created) makes me seriously question how much time the developers have spent testing the ability or how the programmers/testers/designers communicate: you would think that this would have been seen as an issue before the characters release.
    • simonsez
      simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
      MAdnRisKy wrote:
      It could easily be a match 4.

**B*B**
      ***c***
      **B*B**

That's what it looks like when the countdown tile goes off. The new **** appear. Now if any of those star tiles are already blue....
      As a patchneto abuser, I'm not used to seeing any blue on the board when I actually make a move, so the idea that blues might be in those starred positions, never occurred to me icon_e_smile.gif
    • Bowgentle
      Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
      Yeah the serious issues that blue has (i mean the ability clearly wasnt designed to randomly destroy the tiles that you just created) makes me seriously question how much time the developers have spent testing the ability or how the programmers/testers/designers communicate: you would think that this would have been seen as an issue before the characters release.
      That is almost word by word what I said on Line chat yesterday.
      "Playtesting" seems to only consist of checking if the game freezes when the ability is used, nothing more.