** Hawkeye (Modern) **

Unknown
edited October 2015 in Character Details
icon_hawkeye.pngHawkeye (Modern) - 2*
Damage, Health and Other Statistics

Electric Arrow
Power Cost - 9 bluetile.png

Hawkeye fires an arrow that delivers a high-voltage electric shock when it hits.

Power Level 1 - Changes a chosen basic bluetile.png into a 3 turn countdown.png that stuns the target for 2 turns and destroys 4 enemy AP of 1 random color.
    Power Level 2 - Destroys 6 AP.
    Power Level 3 - Destroys 4 enemy AP of 2 random colors.
    Power Level 4 - 2 turn countdown.png.
    Power Level 5 - Stuns for 3 turns.

Blast Arrow
    Power Cost - 9 redtile.png

Clint lines up the perfect shot. When it hits, it creates a massive explosion.

Character Level 15:
      Power Level 1 - Changes a chosen basic redtile.png into a 4 turn countdown.png that deals 200 damage to all enemies.
      Power Level 2 - 221 damage.
      Power Level 3 - 3 turn countdown.png.
      Power Level 4 - 238 damage.
      Power Level 5 - 2 turn countdown.png.

Character Level 94:
        Power Level 3 - Changes a chosen basic redtile.png into a 3 turn countdown.png that deals 1139 damage to all enemies.
        Power Level 4 - 1225 damage.
        Power Level 5 - 2 turn countdown.png and 1335 damage.

Speed Shot
        Power Cost - 0 purpletile.png

Hawkeye nocks multiple arrows and lets them fly. Is on now, bro.

Character Level 15:
          Power Level 1 - Whenever you match 5 or more tiles, changes up to 3 purpletile.png into 3 turn countdown.png that deal 154 damage each.
          Power Level 2 - 169 damage.
          Power Level 3 - 183 damage.
          Power Level 4 - Up to 4 purpletile.png.

Character Level 94:
            Power Level 3 - Whenever you match 5 or more tiles, changes up to 3 purpletile.png tiles into 3 turn countdown.png that deal 947 damage each.
            Power Level 4 - Up to 4 purpletile.png.

Last Major Update: 2014-09 / Earlier Discussion

Original post:
            icon_e_biggrin.gif Worth the wait!
            Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CrookedKnight
              CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
              Holy ****, that passive with 2* mags...
            • Trisul
              Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
              Hmm.

His passive now has nice combo potential with MNMags. Woo hoo! But they share colors. D'oh. Match-5's are a bit... inconsistent aside from MNMags to really get a good sense for how much this will help in other pairings. But with MNMags, an extra potential 4k damage per match-5 seems really strong.

His Red seems fine, definitely more usable than before due to placing.

His Blue... ouch. AP destruction is cool, no doubt. Not sure it makes up for nerfing the stun length and removing the damage. And if random AP destruction can hit colors with zero AP, that's really disastrous.

Being able to place the tiles is a massive improvement, no doubt. But I'm disappointed that it can't target special tiles. Being able to target ANY red tile with Blast Arrow, or ANY blue tile with Electric Arrow not only makes thematic sense but would give him some awesome situational usage (red strike tile teams, PVE goons).

---

This new Hawkeye seems... weird. He obviously has ridiculous combo potential with MNMags, but MNMags red seems better than Hawkeye's still, leaving Hawkeye to be used mainly for his blue arrow and purple passive.

Without MNMags, Hawkeye initially seems underwhelming.
              With MNMags, he seems pretty strong. Probably bad on defense though, since AI doesn't use MNMags well.
            • Wow. Is this a buff? Reads more like a lateral shift than a promotion... I shouldn't care anyway, but I doubt the poor souls still stuck in the 2>3* transition will add him to their main PVP team(s) anytime soon. Looks good for PVE though, especially with MNMags.
            • Cragger
              Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
              (PASSIVE) Hawkeye nocks multiple arrows and lets them fly. Is on now, bro.

I don't think I get the joke... Clint certainly would not be considered a highly educated man, having been trained in a circus, but I also don't remember him talking like a dude-bro. Is that seriously part of the ability description in game?
            • He's going to be one of the strongest 2*s now. Definitely keep the blue at 4; not sure if 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 though.
            • IceIX
              IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
              Cragger wrote:

I don't think I get the joke... Clint certainly would not be considered a highly educated man, having been trained in a circus, but I also don't remember him talking like a dude-bro. Is that seriously part of the ability description in game?
              It's on purpose, yes. It's a reference to a panel in one of the (somewhat) recent Hawkeye comics.
            • Ben Grimm wrote:
              He's going to be one of the strongest 2*s now. Definitely keep the blue at 4; not sure if 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 though.

I'd say 5/5/3 due to the infrequency and unreliability of match 5's.
            • Ben Grimm wrote:
              He's going to be one of the strongest 2*s now. Definitely keep the blue at 4; not sure if 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 though.

On second thought, I think you're probably right. I was focusing on skill production and not how often it'd come up - and with the CMags nerf, they're going to be a lot rarer.
            • Ben Grimm wrote:
              Ben Grimm wrote:

On second thought, I think you're probably right. I was focusing on skill production and not how often it'd come up - and with the CMags nerf, they're going to be a lot rarer.

If you used with GSBW or MMN, other builds might work better.
            • Trisul
              Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
              Individually, I don't see much reason to use him if you have Torch for red or CStorm for blue. What other teams does he really fit into?

The best case I can see for using Hawkeye is for combo-ing his passive with MNMags, who already has a very useful red. You'd dump all the blue you generate from Polarity Shift into blue arrows, so I'd advocate for 3/5/5. Maximize passive and blue.

Not sure he's a better partner for MNMags than CStorm. I guess that's the new question. It will depend on how the passive is handled mechanically in the game. If those 4 tiles are fairly reliable at going off, it'll be huge.
            • ZeiramMR
              ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
              IceIX wrote:
              Cragger wrote:

It's on purpose, yes. It's a reference to a panel in one of the (somewhat) recent Hawkeye comics.
              To explain, an early antagonist in the new Hawkeye run are tracksuit-wearing Russian mob that say "bro" a lot. Hawkeye says "bro" back to them in turn.
            • OnesOwnGrief
              OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
              4 2-Turn countdown tiles that do 3788 damage if they go off. Since I see no change about how strike tiles will change with countdowns, he quad-dips now. I'm sorry, I'm going 5/3/5 on that. Match fives can be forced and cascade. They are frequent enough for me to know that I'll probably see that at least once a match.
            • 4 2-Turn countdown tiles that do 3788 damage if they go off. Since I see no change about how strike tiles will change with countdowns, he quad-dips now. I'm sorry, I'm going 5/3/5 on that. Match fives can be forced and cascade. They are frequent enough for me to know that I'll probably see that at least once a match.

I was about to post the same thing. If I get an average of one match-5 per match (and I think that's lowballing it) 2-4 x 950 on a passive at the 2-star level is worth it! Red at level 5 is a must, and taking Blue to level 4 or 5 honestly doesn't seem worth it compared to his other two abilities, it seems like kind of a throwaway ability for if you don't have another blue user (or if he's paired with psylocke)
            • Passive is complete garbage. Matching 5 is rare, which is why it's a critical, which is already great.

The others are ok, not special. Usable with Hood.
            • OnesOwnGrief
              OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
              gamar wrote:
              4 2-Turn countdown tiles that do 3788 damage if they go off. Since I see no change about how strike tiles will change with countdowns, he quad-dips now. I'm sorry, I'm going 5/3/5 on that. Match fives can be forced and cascade. They are frequent enough for me to know that I'll probably see that at least once a match.

I was about to post the same thing. If I get an average of one match-5 per match (and I think that's lowballing it) 2-4 x 950 on a passive at the 2-star level is worth it! Red at level 5 is a must, and taking Blue to level 4 or 5 honestly doesn't seem worth it compared to his other two abilities, it seems like kind of a throwaway ability for if you don't have another blue user (or if he's paired with psylocke)
              I want that stun. There are just some characters I want stunned to prevent passives or just 3 free turns at the end. I'm not a fan of the reduced red but I didn't care for red beforehand.
            • Yeah overall he's not complete garbage like he used to be, but he's lower mid tier. Compared to ** characters like Thor and mnmags he's ****.
            • Nellyson
              Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
              Definitely going to be a 4/5/4 for me, maybe 3/5/5. I'm not much of a fan of random AP destruction. I like the new passive tho. Both sides seem to always make at least one match five, with the AI mainly accidentally or by cascades.
            • Kelbris
              Kelbris Posts: 1,051
              Trisul wrote:
              Hmm.

His passive now has nice combo potential with MNMags. Woo hoo! But they share colors. D'oh. Match-5's are a bit... inconsistent aside from MNMags to really get a good sense for how much this will help in other pairings. But with MNMags, an extra potential 4k damage per match-5 seems really strong.

His Red seems fine, definitely more usable than before due to placing.

His Blue... ouch. AP destruction is cool, no doubt. Not sure it makes up for nerfing the stun length and removing the damage. And if random AP destruction can hit colors with zero AP, that's really disastrous.

Being able to place the tiles is a massive improvement, no doubt. But I'm disappointed that it can't target special tiles. Being able to target ANY red tile with Blast Arrow, or ANY blue tile with Electric Arrow not only makes thematic sense but would give him some awesome situational usage (red strike tile teams, PVE goons).

---

This new Hawkeye seems... weird. He obviously has ridiculous combo potential with MNMags, but MNMags red seems better than Hawkeye's still, leaving Hawkeye to be used mainly for his blue arrow and purple passive.

Without MNMags, Hawkeye initially seems underwhelming.
              With MNMags, he seems pretty strong. Probably bad on defense though, since AI doesn't use MNMags well.

It'd make him AoE 2* cap.

AKA better Cap.
            • Finally, now I have a reason to max him..! Only if he got his event though icon_razz.gif
              undecided with the build, but as I won't be pairing hin with MnMag and GSBW, I think I'd go with 553, what's with the CMag nerf too..

As a reader and lover of the new Hawkeye comics, I laughed hard at the bro references icon_e_biggrin.gif
            • scottee
              scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
              If his passive includes cascades or combo matches, it's going to be huge. If it only includes simultaneous matches but they can be of different colors, it's still pretty great. If it only includes match-5's and match 6/7/8's of the same color, it's meh.