*** Beast (Classic) ***

Comments

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Beast is terrible. That is all
  • He's fine I guess. We need to see the cover progression to actually tell if he's any good, but having an emphasis on a fake heal skill makes baby jesus cry.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Updated with levels and max level stats. As per usual, those stats are pre-release, so take them with at least one grain of salt.
  • 5/5/3. I can see an argument for taking his yellow higher, but I think it's his least useful ability.
  • Just seen his hp, smh. I wish you guys would stop giving the new 3 stars **** health. Its just dumb. At least give them true healing. Well another non pvp character,thanks anyway.
  • So he's a bad version of Black Panther, but with fake healing.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like a pretty easy 5/5/3, but the character seems pretty underwhelming. The blue converting the surrounding 4 basic tiles is kinda terrible since if they aren't basic, then you're out of luck, especially since it's random tiles and you might get a bad roll of 2 attack + 2 protect tiles or something like that. Green also kinda sucks in that you want to use it right after using blue, but then you're hoarding 8 blue and 9 green just for 1.8k damage to the enemy team? If you gave that AP to Sentry, he'd wipe out the entire enemy team.

I feel like blue needs to just convert 4 random blue tiles to guarantee green so that you can fire it off whenever and not have to worry about hoarding it for green, and green should be boosted to ~2.5k damage to make it more worthwhile. As is he's going to be probably She-Hulk/Cap Marvel tier, which is pretty blech
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree 5 blue is mandatory as it's the basis for the other 2 working to their max potential. If yellow cost 8-9 than u could argue maybe a 5/4/4 build but green blowing up 12 tiles for 1248 AoE is too good to pass up
  • This may seem silly to ask but does the blue countdown tile stay on the board? Cause if it stays on the board, it's not a bad skill but if it's a one and done that's pretty awful. It makes the combo idea they have planned around him seem awful.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems quite bad? :/ Since I'm guessing that his blue creates the countdown tile at random, it may very well put it on the sides or corners, lowering the amount of resulting tiles to 3 or 2. And if they are non basic colour? 0 All to get a chance at randomly selected special tiles? That's not something that you'd want to rely on. Then, the green is super mediocre without a countdown tile (seriously, less than 700 damage to all from a maxed 3* character?) and with a countdown tile it gets a tacked on Electrical Storm... that more often than not will end randomly destroying your countdown tile and any special tiles you may have got already. And finally, yellow, which we can easily dismiss because is not going to be true healing and the added protect tiles, while appreciated, are just going to become more fodder for his green.

All in all, he has no true offensive abilities, his most damaging power is counterproductive to the other two, untrue healing is only situationally good, and his flagship ability is extremely random and slow.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I'm reading the skills is blue creates a blue cd, which explodes and creates 4 blue special tiles which than feeds the other two
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The blue has some design problems. It won't be normal to get 4 tiles out of it, even 3 will generally be above average. It's an ability that does nothing if the opponent matches it, and even if the opponent doesn't match it, it'll very often spawn on a side or corner and self-limit, or cause an undesirable cascade and kill off most of the tiles it creates just by going off. This would all be fine, sorta, if the numbers were huge, like 3 or 4 times what we're seeing here, but right now it's his least reliable, lowest-impact ability.

The green is really nice paired with Falcon's blue. 9 green for 2k damage to all enemies is great, and the cascade potential is a nice bonus. It kinda forces you to play with Falcon, or I guess a 5/3/5 CMags, since otherwise it's too unreliable, but both of those pairing seem viable, so I guess it's all good.

The yellow isn't bad, actually. People underestimate temp healing. On defense it may as well be true healing (and he pairs well with another good defensive guy in Falcon, anyway), and on offense it's not bad for climbing (although awful for shield hopping, obv).

Comparing to Sentry is probably not fair. Most people don't bother with Sentry during their initial climb because self-damage is annoying. Sentry is for bombing shield hops. But Beast seems like a strong candidate for climbing, both because he's a pain to kill, and because he has a ready-made defensive pairing with Falcon that's pretty likely to steal some wins for you as people concede after realizing it's going to take 15 minutes to make anything happen.

Pretty sure I'll be aiming for 3/5/5 as the optimal build, though. His blue is just super unreliable. Assuming random placement and a 20% chance of the CD getting matched, you have an expected value of about .86 strike tiles (or in other words an EV of 88 strike tile strength) every time you use the 5 cover version of the ability, and the attack/defense tiles are just not meaningful enough to make 8 AP reasonable. It should cost 3, or even 2 - make it spammable and people might bother with it.
  • I would go for 5/5/3 and his partner would be hood/laken. Cheap green and blue combo, quite fun.
    New char new motivation too play ^^, BUT :

Quoting few last comments :
    " ..Well another non pvp character,thanks anyway.

..If you gave that AP to Sentry, he'd wipe out the entire enemy team.

Comparing to Sentry is probably not fair.. "

Sentry is the major problem here, he become benchmark of any new char (and old, poor LT T_T).
    So it's reasonable if everyone complaining new char.
    If D3 drop sentry from rosters, then we'll experience much more fun pvp with more diverse duet.
    I.E : psy/laken,laken/falcon,falcon/pun,pun/BP,BP/rags,rags/c.mags,cmags/HT,HT/hood,hood/steve,steve/DP,DP/hulk,hulk/c.marvel,c.marvel/p.storm,p.storm/patch?
    Right now sentry/laken.. sentry/hood.. patch/neto..
    Borrrringggggg, lol ^^
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    The way I'm reading the skills is blue creates a blue cd, which explodes and creates 4 blue special tiles which than feeds the other two

The CD is a blue special tile. It should be at least. If it exploded into blue 3 of your new specials would be exploded immediately.
  • The blue has some design problems. It won't be normal to get 4 tiles out of it, even 3 will generally be above average. It's an ability that does nothing if the opponent matches it, and even if the opponent doesn't match it, it'll very often spawn on a side or corner and self-limit, or cause an undesirable cascade and kill off most of the tiles it creates just by going off. This would all be fine, sorta, if the numbers were huge, like 3 or 4 times what we're seeing here, but right now it's his least reliable, lowest-impact ability.

Pretty sure, this is "working as intended".

Beast's yellow and green require a blue special tile to be in play for these skills to be effective. Yet, even with ideal placement, there is no guarantee that Beast's blue will actually generate a blue special tile. At best, with ideal placement, there are 8 opportunities for a blue tile to be generated. But, for that to even occur, one of the surrounding tiles must already be a basic blue tile. Even then, there is a ~20.5% chance that one of the four dice rolls will not still not create a special tile on a blue color [assuming 1 blue in a cluster of 8 colors; more blues of course decrease chances of failure]. If the CD tile falls on any of the outer rows, or worst case in a corner, then failure chances increase accordingly.

Thinking beyond the initial CD tile resolving, all that needs to be done for Beast's green and yellow to neutered is to simply remove the blue special tile on the board. Via that perspective, the 3 CD tile really does matter. All that needs to be done to counter Beast is to simply either remove any basic blue tiles from around the CD tile before it resolves or remove the blue special tile before he can cast either his blue or green powers to yield the same result.
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Lyrian wrote:
    All that needs to be done to counter Beast is to simply either remove any basic blue tiles from around the CD tile before it resolves or remove the blue special tile before he can cast either his blue or green powers to yield the same result.

Paging Dr. McCoy...paging Dr. McCoy. Dr. V. Doom on line 1...
  • Beast, Deadpool, Black Panther

-Red to weaken high HP targets
    -Purple, Green and Black for AoE Damage
    -Yellow and Blue for Team Buffs

Certainly not a Sentry/Daken/Hood (or Falcon) level team, but it does seem to me as if they could work really well together.

Thoughts?
  • IceIX wrote:
    Updated with levels and max level stats. As per usual, those stats are pre-release, so take them with at least one grain of salt.

At first I was all "WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO BEAST!!!! SAVE MY ISO CAUSE HE'S GONNA BE A SMART MONSTER BEASTLY PVP KING!!!! WOOOOO!" then you put some salt on it and I'm all "?????????????!?!? BLUE LADY-HULK?!??! <<<deflating balloon sound>>>". I don't like your salt this time ICEIX.
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Upon discovering his MPQ power implementation:

eOL3XxG.jpg
  • Another mid tier player like Deadpool but not as good.