** Black Widow (Original) ** [PRE 2014-06]

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arclight wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Darkon wrote:
    But her big problem is that to use her passive she must tank and she doesnt have the hp to do that.
    Does her power trigger on cascade matches, or only the initial match?

Triggers on cascades.

Does the tiles have to bear her symbol to activate the passive? Or can I run her with a spidey who's tiles do more damage?
    It has to have her symbol, that was confirmed when IceIX described the power before it was released.

So it sounds like the way to use her black best is to level her so she can activate in cascades, but try not to use her for the initial match too often.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've finally had a chance to try out her Espionage skill.

Espionage - Black Passive
    (PASSIVE) Black Widow steals enemy secrets. When she attacks by making a Purple match and the enemy has Purple AP, she steals 1 from them.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Also steals 1 Blue AP when making a Blue match.
    Level 3: Also steals 1 Black AP when making a Black match.
    Level 4: Also deals 6 damage when making a Purple, Blue, or Black match.
    Level 5: Increases damage to 12 when making a Purple, Blue, or Black match.
    Max Level: 112 additional damage
    Back to index

What I didn't know -- her icon has to be on the tile for the effect to trigger. That means I need to field a Yellow, Red, Green team for this to be effective. The Hood is Yellow, Blue, Black, so that rules out this combo. Currently, Black Widow Original and Invisible Woman are the only characters with powers that get nerfed by the other team members.

The espionage should apply to any match of the right color, whether the tiles bear her icon or not.

Black Widow seems quite effective. I put a 100/60/60 Hood / BW:Orig / C: Storm team against a few maxed out Rags / Spidey / IM40 teams, and managed to consistently win. They got brutally hurt, but Antigrav managed to bring them back to health. Eventually, the opposing team was sucked dry of power over and over, and the siphon team won.
  • Trying to create a B team, Black widow(Original), Storm(Modern) and Magneto (Classic), is a crazy pve combo.

a lvl 1 or 2 purple can feed storm's green and magneto's blue, storm's green will feed every other color, and magneto's blue will be recycled doing extra damage because of the widow's black. In times of need or before ending the match use the black widows blue to heal and / or stop the timers. Most of the time you don't need the heal.

In theory a hood instead of magneto is a great choice because he can get free yellow and help the ap drain. (i dont have one to test it)
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Arclight wrote:
    Does the tiles have to bear her symbol to activate the passive? Or can I run her with a spidey who's tiles do more damage?
    It has to have her symbol, that was confirmed when IceIX described the power before it was released.

So it sounds like the way to use her black best is to level her so she can activate in cascades, but try not to use her for the initial match too often.

This is why I'm going 5/5/3 on my Widow. I prefer the lockdown/stealing with purple more than a wee bit of extra damage on matches. Stealing 4 Red gives Ragnarok 2 Thunderclaps or 2 moves for Magneto/Spidey. It also lets me fit her into more teams later on, because eventually when more powerful characters come out she probably won't be strong enough to match anything anyway.
  • I must be missing something as to why people are so excited about her black ability being released. She looks more or less rubbish to me, especially compared to the strongest 2 stars.
  • Higher level cap, probably. Which means less squishy. Kinda.

She's the only 2-star who can heal.

I agree that she doesn't seem too hot, and since I have Spidey, I never use her.
  • So at level 5 blue does it heal 50% AND increase the number on countdown tiles? Or do you lose the countdown increase for healing?

Thanks guys
  • Brandonz13 wrote:
    So at level 5 blue does it heal 50% AND increase the number on countdown tiles? Or do you lose the countdown increase for healing?

Thanks guys

At the max level the blue heals for half and also adds time to the countdown tiles
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    So erm... can anyone compare a 5/5/3 and a 3/5/5, now tht ppl actually have tried the skills? o.o

Thanks to the No Holds Barred Event I have mine at 3/2/1 and 2 more purple covers.
    But before I let them expire Id really like to make sure that 3/5/5 is the way to go :3
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Mine is at 3/4/1, and I like the frequency with which I can bust out her Aggressive Recon. With Espionage active, that's 2 purple matches, and grabbing those 3 AP at the right moment can make a huge difference.
  • Anyone have max stats on her? Very curious on how effective her heal can be.
  • squirrel85 wrote:
    Anyone have max stats on her? Very curious on how effective her heal can be.

• Dayv
    If I can get her to 3/5/5, she's on my team if they ever have a 2-star tournament. Her job will be to heal Thor and... the other one.
  • I love OBW. But one issue i have with her keeps bothering me. Her Black skill seems to be kind of a problem in its current form. Others have commented on it but I wanted to start a specific feedback thread for it.
    OBW will steal black AP when she makes black matches. Cool. But she can't use black ap. And if I put someone in her team that can use the black ap, she will likely no longer make the black match, nerfing her ability. Its just a bit annoying. She really loses her Black power completely if you were to use her with say Punnisher and Classic mags. I hope you will fix that. Make her power activate whenever anyone makes the match. Its not that much of a difference and will make her much more useful and popular I think, without making her overpowered. Thanks
  • the moose wrote:
    I love OBW. But one issue i have with her keeps bothering me. Her Black skill seems to be kind of a problem in its current form. Others have commented on it but I wanted to start a specific feedback thread for it.
    OBW will steal black AP when she makes black matches. Cool. But she can't use black ap. And if I put someone in her team that can use the black ap, she will likely no longer make the black match, nerfing her ability. Its just a bit annoying. She really loses her Black power completely if you were to use her with say Punnisher and Classic mags. I hope you will fix that. Make her power activate whenever anyone makes the match. Its not that much of a difference and will make her much more useful and popular I think, without making her overpowered. Thanks

Then people will have her around at level 1 being super annoying with her purple and black skills without having her tank anything
  • Hmm...I guess that is a good point. Sigh
  • Dayv
    The black aspect could be handy if she were on a team with a 1* black-using character, but that's not a team composition a lot of people will be jumping for.
  • How about just script her so that if she's on the team, she's the one who always makes black matches? That might cause some people to be unhappy because she might be squishier and die faster if she's always making the black match. But just thought I'd throw that out as a suggestion anyway.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    If I can get her to 3/5/5, she's on my team if they ever have a 2-star tournament. Her job will be to heal Thor and... the other one.

Wolvie!
  • Maybe something that makes the other team member get the match but then she jumps to the front to trigger her espionage and steal the ap. Kind of like modern hawks avoid in reverse
This discussion has been closed.