*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• I'm still going 5/5/3. 10% is 700 health for non-buffed. Not a big deal when you can hit 700+ per turn from auto-attack w/ strike+attack tiles.

With 5 green you get:
    Tile match damage + 312 + Molotov (113 per) + 312.

Destruction sucks but isn't a deal breaker. Just use his green ability before black.
  • Saw this just now. Due to the defense team bug, the level on him is probably wrong. Somebody spent a lot of money.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/toekl2vbg9cu3 ... -08-40.png
  • Something to remember about black, and why it still should get 5 points and be useful, is that it does base damage as well when used. It's easier to get out than doom's and if you get a lucky placement can be pretty annoying with a few molotovs out. 500 ish damage to everyone at max isn't amazing, but its something and stil represents about 10% of the average character's health.

Just using my lvl 20 I can see some areas where he might shine. The green isn't as good as I thought but it can still get you cascades and places tiles on random colors which helps. Red is as described. Nothing more nothing less. He isn't as good as I was originally expecting due to black and green working diff/not dropping countdown to 1, but he isn't bad and is still interesting. I'd say his black is on par with doom, with more guaranteed damage but less overall damage by the end of turn 4 assuming no demons are destroyed nor Molotov destroyed and that 2 moltov are used compared to 1 summon. A few demons are usually destroyed by then though. I'd still say the moves are roughly on par with a slight adv Molotov if only because it doesn't NEED red to work and the lower cost means you will use it in more matches and at more opportune times (so many times also ill have an important character like thor to down with only 400-500 health left but have to watch the firsy turn of demons on him despite the huge overkill involved...so such issue with Molotov).

I am still a little disappointed in him though. I think he is more a "versitile" character than a strong one this way. Good chance he has the SECOND best use of his color on any team, but that he can still fill the missing colors well and fill in for a downed hero of his color as well. He isn't like, say, I'm40 who is support only bit once your main is down IM just becomes a huge hp sponge. Also, black is always a welcome addition to a team given the general suckage/scarcity of the color right now. Also, an all black team of doom/punisher/someone who feeds into black (maybe by feeding into blue? Magneto **) would be rather interesting. Turn 1 with boosts, make 1 purple match to get mag purple. Use it to set up doom turning all blue to black and one blue match somewhere else to get your blue from +6 to +9. Use dooms move. End up with 15+ black. Probably drop a Molotov and a summon demon by turn 2. They would only be missing yellow damage coverage with that. I love trying to think up interesting combos...rag spam is boring, and I am a tad tired of thor being able to do everything in a round and everyone else just being a sponge for him.
  • Just used Punisher for the 1st time in the Hulk missions. Love love LOVE the character animation for Retribution!

Though the thought of downing Hulk with a pistol shot seems kind of absurd...
  • Unknown
    edited December 2013
    Something to remember about black, and why it still should get 5 points and be useful, is that it does base damage as well when used.

I mean...eh. If you mean the initial damage to the whole team, it doesn't really seem like a difference maker. There are plenty of ways to finish off almost dead characters, including Grey Widow's sniper rifle.
    The green isn't as good as I thought but it can still get you cascades and places tiles on random colors which helps.

Yeah, I've messed with him more and it seems like the cascades might be the best thing about this ability.
    I'd say his black is on par with doom, with more guaranteed damage but less overall damage by the end of turn 4 assuming no demons are destroyed nor Molotov destroyed and that 2 moltov are used compared to 1 summon. A few demons are usually destroyed by then though. I'd still say the moves are roughly on par with a slight adv Molotov if only because it doesn't NEED red to work and the lower cost means you will use it in more matches and at more opportune times (so many times also ill have an important character like thor to down with only 400-500 health left but have to watch the firsy turn of demons on him despite the huge overkill involved...so such issue with Molotov).

That's a toughie. He still seems a bit better than Doom in theory since he's not limited to existing red tiles. However, characters with targeted board clear (Grey Widow red, The Hood yellow, etc.) will totally stuff his black.

To be honest, if Hulk and Punisher become really popular in the meta, the real problem will be the added dominance of C. Magneto. His blue overwrites *anything*, including special tiles. Oh, Punisher has his little red countdown tile to create attack tiles? Nope, now he doesn't. Oh, Hulk made his little black countdown tile to make green? Nope, now he doesn't.

Then again, C. Magneto totally neuters Doom's attack tiles too...
    I am still a little disappointed in him though.

Yeah. I know I was talking a lot about his red earlier, but to be honest, after thinking it over, it doesn't seem like it may be worth taking to 5.

This is the first character in a while, where I can say I honestly have no idea how to build. 5/5/3 maybe, but even that has its issues.
    I love trying to think up interesting combos...rag spam is boring, and I am a tad tired of thor being able to do everything in a round and everyone else just being a sponge for him.

Rag red AP spam to green, tho...that seems like one of Punisher's best setups still. Didn't seem that bad when I tried it. Again, multiple greens will randomly destroy your own strike tiles but the cascades seem to make up for it...
  • soupfist wrote:
    Just used Punisher for the 1st time in the Hulk missions. Love love LOVE the character animation for Retribution!

Though the thought of downing Hulk with a pistol shot seems kind of absurd...

It's probably supposed to be an executioner-style, the other guy is down on his knees type thing.

Definitely not a kid-friendly animation!
  • Welp, just pulled a green cover from the Hulk PVE event.

Probably going to use it too, bringing me to 3/4/3.

Think I may be going 5/5/3 as others have suggested after all. If I can make some good ISO I'll keep you guys posted.

Other people who have higher-level Punishers are, of course, invited to share their impressions icon_e_smile.gif
  • Where the heck did you get all those covers, someguy? icon_eek.gif
  • f3nfire wrote:
    Where the heck did you get all those covers, someguy? icon_eek.gif

Saving HP for ages. Had nothing else to spend them on.
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    I have a maxed punisher at 5/5/3. I really like using him and will probably max him out level wise. He is really fun to use but I'm not sure if he will stay on my team permannatly. I completely understand a person maxing red instead of black. But yeah more than anything the fun factor of playing with him is pretty high.
  • Kinda disappointed now that I have a couple of covers, he sounds better on paper than he is.

His black is pretty unreliable, the green does more harm than good in most cases, the red has a terrible DMG / AP ratio unless your fighting really high health enemies.

I think I'll shelf him like cap into the PVE obscurity corner for bringing down some 20k health opponent from time to time.
  • Hey guys,
    Does anyone know whether the black skill at 5 still reduces the countdown to 1 from 3? Or does it just reduce the countdown to 2?
  • Seems ike this guy needs two things to make him good.
    1) Allow you to choose where to place the molotov cocktail tile
    2) Allow you to choose which tiles to shoot with his green

These two things would make him good. Otherise his abilities just seem to work against each other. I don't know why the character designers are so reluctant to make a character good. It seems they are so afraid of making another Rag that people feel is overpowered that they instead go out of their way to make sure characters are weaksauce.
    Does GSBW sniper really need to cost 19 points? Its powerful but not that powerful when you compare it to a max Rag or mag. Does Im40 really need to lose 2 ap from all colors when he uses his ability? His powers already cost 13 or 20 points, and again they aren't enough to end a game in themselves. If you get 10 red with rags its game over, right (don't have a max rag yet)? If you get 20 blue with IM40 you nail the team for some damage but if your opponent is running a high level team they will likely still be around. And lets be honest, how many times do you actually hit 20 blue without some great boards or before you've already wiped out most of the enemy, or taken some serious damage?
    I won't comment much on hulk becuase his full abilities haven't been revealed, but if his red when maxed doesn't remove the damage it does to your own team, then he is complete junk. So far using him in the event even while buffed, I am not impressed.

Come on guys! You don't need to nerf Rags or Mags or Spidey. You need to start making the other 3 Stars better to compete with them. Every 3 Star should be a character I would rather use over any of my two stars. Reduce Ap cost, get rid of random countdown placements or tile destruction, and change anything that makes us not want to max a Characters ability (I'm looking at you IM40's yellow). After all, these are supposed to be EARTH'S MIGHTIEST!
    This might not have been the right place for a rant but I was excited about Punisher until I read all the comments and saw all the ways he has been made a lackluster character. Very disappointed.
  • FoxInSox
    FoxInSox Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Shansation wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know whether the black skill at 5 still reduces the countdown to 1 from 3? Or does it just reduce the countdown to 2?
    Just got his black to level 4. The description for level 5 says that it reduces the countdown to every 2 turns.
  • finwe wrote:
    Kinda disappointed now that I have a couple of covers, he sounds better on paper than he is.

His black is pretty unreliable, the green does more harm than good in most cases, the red has a terrible DMG / AP ratio unless your fighting really high health enemies.

I think I'll shelf him like cap into the PVE obscurity corner for bringing down some 20k health opponent from time to time.

I have had the opposite experience. His green clears a block yes, but at lvl 5 which mine is, it floods the field with good strike tiles. Save up enough green to pop it twice and on average I've ended up with 5 tiles. Then lay the black (or two) and his job is done. The powers are low cost. Black hits for 1100 to all for 7 ap and lays attack tiles. Love it.

Red...I rarely use, so no comment
  • FoxInSox wrote:
    Shansation wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Just got his black to level 4. The description for level 5 says that it reduces the countdown to every 2 turns.

Aaah, thanks. Still gonna try and max the black, haven't really found a use for his red yet.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Definitely going 5/3/5; the green seems to be a random 3x3 block, not a chosen one like Grey or Hood's pistol skills.

Black does attack tile + strike tiles for its tick damage, which is nice.
  • Personally gonna go 3/5/5. If the black was left at 1 turn countdown at rank 5, I would have built differently. As it is, the more damage you get from strike tiles, the better off you are in terms of matching, plus it only applies to the overall damage that attack tiles do, not per attack tile. And red will be great for many situations, especially with a surprise down on defense.

In addition, with stuns change oh so long ago affecting countdown tiles, his black becomes even more unreliable, unless you have a strike/attack combo out.
  • Still not totally sold on this character, but up to 2/3/3 on covers and put some iso in because of the need to use him on so many missions in the Hulk event. I like that his abilities have moderate cost, that the black hits all enemies, and red is not bad at all for polishing off level 200+ enemies. I could definitely see using him situationally in PvE.
  • his red is real good. The other abilities are meh. I thought his moltov cocktail created red attack tiles from a red countdown timer. The attack tiles have been appearing on a random basic tile but the color doesn't change to red. I don't really mind, except that it bugs me when the descriptions don't exactly match what it does.