What do people usually do for PVP not in their "times"

Options
Say you're not in a position to to play the last 12 hours of a PVP, what do you do?

I guess if you're really interested in the top 25 prize, you might spend a lot of HP to get as high as you can and then more HP on the 12 hour shield?

And otherwise just get the progression awards you can and tank?

But seems to me there is little chance of actually getting a top 5 by shielding before hand.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I think you'll be VERY surprised if you ever check your PVP bracket top 10 with 12 hours to go.
    To spare you the effort, lots of people grind early and get to 1000-1200 scores by then, which should let them stay comfortably in top 5.
  • Unknown
    Options
    sorcered wrote:
    I think you'll be VERY surprised if you ever check your PVP bracket top 10 with 12 hours to go.
    To spare you the effort, lots of people grind early and get to 1000-1200 scores by then, which should let them stay comfortably in top 5.

What about for those of us who don't have the luxury of doing that? I've only broken even 900 once in the last 3 months. And that was after unshielding in the last 3 minutes of the event, resulting in this: http://i.imgur.com/L4ma9v2.png
  • Demiurge67
    Demiurge67 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Suggestion ... run up to 1500 in the first 36hrs. The rest of the bracket will submit. Works for me every time I care to put in this kind of effort ... which hasn't been happening lately.

But most likely, you're not willing to burn the kind of ISO and HP this takes. In that case, set a score, reach it, shield it. See what happens. No matter how far in advance, 1200 almost always wins. 1000+ should guarantee top 10. Based on my experience.

If you aren't able/willing to break 900, then just shield out over 800. Let it ride. If that pay level isn't worth the 300HP ... then just play for the ISO and progressions and let the chips fall.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    Say you're not in a position to to play the last 12 hours of a PVP, what do you do?

I guess if you're really interested in the top 25 prize, you might spend a lot of HP to get as high as you can and then more HP on the 12 hour shield?

And otherwise just get the progression awards you can and tank?

But seems to me there is little chance of actually getting a top 5 by shielding before hand.

What kind of pvp scores are we talking about?

As the big guns are saying, if you can get up to 1200, then the last 12hrs probably doesn't matter much, shield and you're good (and if you can get to 1200, you're good with shielding)
    If you're like me, a 2* player that maxes out at 800-850 tops, then you're gonna have to get lucky to hit top 5 no matter when you play, and still have to shield.

In the bigger picture, if you can't play the last 12 hours, your two choices are 300HP shield or run up your score as high as you can and pray it holds for whatever prize you're gunning for.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I remember it's just a game and do nothing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    sorcered wrote:
    Actually, this isn't the case anymore. I just checked the C.Marvel pvp (30 minutes till the end) and 1200 is not enough for a top 5. My bracket has Worldrunner2.0 as #1 with 1544 and #5 has 1269. # 10 is over 1000 at 1016 and #9 is 100 higher at 1117. Welcome to the New World of broken mechanics and untested features, where you beta test the games from day 1 until you leave. I am just glad I don't care about Patch covers or the current pve. I hope this inactivity will help me land in an easier bracket when I decide a pvp is worth playing. If not, I doubt I will keep playing for long.

This past week I really enjoyed Hearthstone and their newly released "pve" with the free drops. (This is how it's done D3. Take a hint.) Today I spend an hour opening all the basic cards for Warrior and Paladin and it was a blast. That was essentially the tutorial of the game and was still more fun than MPQ.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Demiurge67 wrote:
    Suggestion ... run up to 1500 in the first 36hrs. The rest of the bracket will submit. Works for me every time I care to put in this kind of effort ... which hasn't been happening lately.

But most likely, you're not willing to burn the kind of ISO and HP this takes. In that case, set a score, reach it, shield it. See what happens. No matter how far in advance, 1200 almost always wins. 1000+ should guarantee top 10. Based on my experience.

If you aren't able/willing to break 900, then just shield out over 800. Let it ride. If that pay level isn't worth the 300HP ... then just play for the ISO and progressions and let the chips fall.

Lol, I probably couldn't make 1200 at any point, even with infinite health packs. There quickly comes a time where I get retaliated for significantly more than I can rake in. Note that I don't have a "Maxed" 3* roster - my highest level chars arePatch at 153, Punisher at 140, DareDevil (yeah) at 135 and GSBW at 127.

I guess if I had infinite boosts though that might be doable, as matches would end quicker if I start with 6AP in all colors I need...
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you want to get to ~900-1000 here is my suggestion. End times for me are almost always 7am so you will have to adjust the strategy if you are in a US timezone.

I enter the pvp on the second day, usually with 36-40h left. I play until I get to 500 and leave the game. I enter the game again the final day (usually 18h left) and find myself near 400. I play until I reach 600 and leave unshielded. If you have the HP, you can shield, but at this point you won't drop a lot, and even if you do, you will be able to find several opponents worth 35-40 to catch up so it's not a big deal. I return to the game 10-11h before the end and play as hard as I can aiming for 800-900. I shield for 3h and return to the game for a last time 7-8h before the end. At this point playing more than 3 matches before shielding again (for 8h this time) is a gamble I don't usually take. If I really, really want a cover, I may start the push to 800-900 a little earlier and use 2x3h + 1x8h shields, but anything more than that is extremely rare for me. I usually spend 225-300 HP and most of the time it is enough for a top 5-25. With the scores in pvp climbing higher and higher recently, I usually go for a top 25 and don't bother with the 3rd cover, so 900-950 is enough. The game just isn't worth more of my time.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I remember it's just a game and do nothing.

This. The game is so much more fun when it's not work.