About Team-Ups: Did this happen to you?

Options
So, let me know if this is just me being a moron, or if others went through the same thing:

1. Look at what team-ups I have to start with.
2. Go, "Wow, I have a ton of team-ups! Cool."
3. Use a team up, defeat a node, "Wow, I just got 4 new ones!"
4. Start a new node, "Hey, what happened to the others of the one I used?"
5. Stare at screen blankly for a few moments. (This is the key step)
6. "...OOOHHHHHH, that number isn't the quantity of that team up I have, it's the number of covers it has! D'oh..."

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    just went back to the last story mode in dark avengers beat up ragnarork and got his team up!! Kinda dull, now I just need to find a black panther, a few thors and storms to beat up!! and get their team ups...

Thing was I killed ragnarok so fast I didn't even get to see my black panther teamup I equiped, thankfully I didn't use the nick fury one, I'd be mad

There's two numbers I can see, the level of the teamup power and then another number which seems to indicate how many you have or rank of the power, not too sure, because I'm pretty sure it gave me four raggy teams ups but it shows a number 5 there
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thing was I killed ragnarok so fast I didn't even get to see my black panther teamup I equiped, thankfully I didn't use the nick fury one, I'd be mad
    Curiosity question - would you be mad b/c you wasted it? B/c I understood it that if you don't use it in the battle, it's not expended. Let me know if that's not the case.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    Curiosity question - would you be mad b/c you wasted it? B/c I understood it that if you don't use it in the battle, it's not expended. Let me know if that's not the case.

That is the case; only TU abilities that get used are consumed. The two numbers in the bottom corners are the character and cover levels of the power. If you get two copies of exactly the same TU ability, they do not stack; each appears as a separate tile in the TU select screen.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It looks like the Prologue has a new use: burn off unwanted Team-UPs against Goon Squads.

And I thought they wanted to reduce pointless combat that just enabled you to keep playing...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Team-Up is an extra bonus. It's "sort of" funny.

Not the "smashing" new feature IceIx was promising.

We don't even know what the opponent is using. It's going to be super random and we'll have to keep on shielding because the whole thing will be out of control.

That's not, so to say, what I was expecting so that the game would become more fun.

I would have been very happy with a balance of power between characters, so that the $$$ I've spent are not useless because I am big hit and defeated by cmag+someone even though I have a maxed Captain Marvel and a maxed team (whatever it is).

I would have enjoyed playing PvEs without Jug, Yelena, Bullseye, Daken, Ares, over and over again.

I would have enjoyed NOT having Loki PvP and the same LRs with cmag, hood, doom... over and over again.

It would have been less costly to D3P.

I don't see the point of Team-Ups really.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:

I don't see the point of Team-Ups really.

Sell more health packs!

Before, I rooted for the opposition to match environment tiles. Even if they got enough, rarely was it a problem for them to use the environment tiles.

Now the Team-up tiles do damage, there really isn't any way to stop a team from accumulating them, and any of their characters can do any of the abilities at any time once enough are matched: no way to eliminate one character strategically before they can use one.

The passive abilities are not used, it's all damage abilities. So more damage taken by matches, and more damage taken by use. Meaning: more health-packs need to be used (and to the Dev's thinking: bought).

It's another kick-in-the-pants to True Healing, and especially to 2* rosters who don't have the diversity to play on once their limited rosters are damaged. This will ensure they get damaged more, and more quickly: even less matches possible in a row.

Good to know I was playing to much (still)!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I believe Team ups will become very important in the future. At the very least they offer 3 more powers that can be anything. I entered a match (90s AWolverine/Moonstone/C.Marvel) thinking it would be a walk in the park, until the opponent used Fury's blue as a Team Up. Almost 3k damage out of nowhere. Didn't lose me the match, but imagine this happening near the end of a push with no spare hp. On the plus side you can always have 3 support abilities that form a toolbox you don't need regularly, but can save you from time to time. For example, I never use Loki, but his purple as a Team Up ability is interesting. It is cheap, it shakes the board, and any matches that result will deal damage and give you some AP.

What I don't know is how the game chooses which Team Ups to use on defense and whether this "spends" them or not. In every match I played in the C.Marvel pvp the enemies had 3 TU abilities and not all them were great all the time. A Ballistic Salvo that was near cast was scary though. Thankfully, I was only going for the token at 300, so I will have some time to figure out what is going on. Hunting for TUs when you don't care about the score in an event may renew interest when there is no reward you need in either pve and pvp. Just hit high level teams and if you win you get a gift.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    After playing some more, I identified a significant issue with the current system. Not being able to delete TU abilities sucks. I doubt this feature was properly tested (as is the case with almost everything else in this game) because you can find yourself fast with 20 high cost TU abilities you don't want to use. It will be very useful if next to our Roster tab we get an Inventory tab that gives access to TU and boosts and allow us to delete unwanted TUs. Or at least an X on the top right corner of each TU ability you can press to delete it (with confirmation of course - in case they forget the obvious things again). Forcing players to hunt for TU AP so they can get rid of unwanted TU abilities is more boring and dangerous than I thought at first. I was stuck with 3x Moonstone's black (17AP) in a 15/20 TU pool until I was forced to go after TU tiles so I could spend 2 of them in 2 matches. Getting 17 AP from a "color" you don't plan to use is a very bad design decision and I am not sure how none of the testers (if there were any) hadno problem with this.
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX seemed to suggest that defensive teams will not use any Teamups from your bank and the ones they will equip will be random and not limited to ones you have available.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    After playing some more, I identified a significant issue with the current system. Not being able to delete TU abilities sucks. I doubt this feature was properly tested (as is the case with almost everything else in this game) because you can find yourself fast with 20 high cost TU abilities you don't want to use. It will be very useful if next to our Roster tab we get an Inventory tab that gives access to TU and boosts and allow us to delete unwanted TUs. Or at least an X on the top right corner of each TU ability you can press to delete it (with confirmation of course - in case they forget the obvious things again). Forcing players to hunt for TU AP so they can get rid of unwanted TU abilities is more boring and dangerous than I thought at first. I was stuck with 3x Moonstone's black (17AP) in a 15/20 TU pool until I was forced to go after TU tiles so I could spend 2 of them in 2 matches. Getting 17 AP from a "color" you don't plan to use is a very bad design decision and I am not sure how none of the testers (if there were any) hadno problem with this.

I think this is an undercover anti-tanking move. If you meta-game to face weak teams, they'll saddle you with a bunch of weak TU abilities that you'll have to 'work off.'
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX seemed to suggest that defensive teams will not use any Teamups from your bank and the ones they will equip will be random and not limited to ones you have available.
    Hmm, so every enemy team will have 3 TU abilities. I guess this means that instead of fighting 3vs3, we will be fighting 4vs4, or more often 3vs4, only the 4th characters have infinite health until the other 3 are down (at which point you win/lose the game) and have 3 abilities that share AP color. It also means that there is no way to prevent activation of enemy cheap TU abilities. Like someone else mentioned already, this looks like an interesting feature that ultimately aims to increase health pack consumption.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well each teamup power can only be used once, so there is that. Haven't seen it in practice enough to pass judgement yet. May be calling for defenders to only carry 2 max before long.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Riggy wrote:

Mad because I would have wasted it. The thing is to run the chance of acquiring that team-up, the opposing team you face needs to have that character. Given how new Nick Fury is and not many people use him yet. The chances of me getting a replacement one is a long way off. And from what my alliance mate said when he used it, it one shot killed daken.

Right now the team up system is utterly flawed. I found myself using environmental tiles much more than team ups and in all honesty I think environmental tiles are more useful. You can only use a team up powerup once per battle.... Now in a short battle that's not going to matter, in a long battle, I'm going to be using my environmental tiles a bucket load more.

RIght now not impressed or upset by the change, it's made little impact to me, but I might be changing my tune once I got my black panther up a bit
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Riggy wrote:

Mad because I would have wasted it. The thing is to run the chance of acquiring that team-up, the opposing team you face needs to have that character. Given how new Nick Fury is and not many people use him yet. The chances of me getting a replacement one is a long way off. And from what my alliance mate said when he used it, it one shot killed daken.

Right now the team up system is utterly flawed. I found myself using environmental tiles much more than team ups and in all honesty I think environmental tiles are more useful. You can only use a team up powerup once per battle.... Now in a short battle that's not going to matter, in a long battle, I'm going to be using my environmental tiles a bucket load more.

RIght now not impressed or upset by the change, it's made little impact to me, but I might be changing my tune once I got my black panther up a bit

You can only use one team up ability once. If you can get enough team up tiles, you could use all three team ups you bring into battle. It really is a neat feature, but the useless high cost abilities are annoying aka moonstone! Probably try to use that team up against high level goons and steal one of their countdown tiles. However, DevWill said a delete function is coming in the next update, either R59 or R60. Whenever those happen anyways.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Team Ups - a model of a clear, easy to understand, well thought of feature.

Damn, where's that sarcasm font when you need it?
  • Unknown
    Options
    i think now really have totally different strategies and ways to play this game already.