Storm (Modern) - 1*

john1620b
john1620b Posts: 367
edited September 2015 in Character Details
icon_storm.pngStorm (Modern) - 1*
Damage, Health and Other Statistics

Lightning Strike
Power Cost - 10 greentile.png

Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens.

Power Level 1 - Deals damage and generates AP from 8 destroyed, random tiles.
    Power Level 2 - Destroys 9 tiles.
    Power Level 3 - Destroys 10 tiles.
    Power Level 4 - Destroys 12 tiles.
    Power Level 5 - Destroys 14 tiles.

Mistress of the Elements
    Power Cost - 9 yellowtile.png

Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes.

Character Level 1:
      Power Level 1 - Destroys up to 5 tutile.png, generating tutile.png AP and dealing 4 damage per tile.
      Power Level 2 - Deals 10% more damage for each tile shattered.
      Power Level 3 - Deals 20% more damage for each tile shattered.
      Power Level 4 - Deals 30% more damage for each tile shattered.
      Power Level 5 - Destroys 6 tutile.png.

Character Level 50:
        Power Level 3 - Destroys up to 5 tutile.png, generates tutile.png AP and deals 56 damage per tile.
        Power Level 4 - 61 damage per tile.
        Power Level 5 - Destroys up to 6 tutile.png.

Hailstorm
        Power Cost - 9 blacktile.png

Ororo glares and dark clouds coalesce. Hailstones pelt the enemy.

Power Level 1 - Changes 16 basic tiles into attack.png.
          Power Level 2 - Changes 18 tiles.
          Power Level 3 - Changes 20 tiles.
          Power Level 4 - Changes 24 tiles.
          Power Level 5 - Changes 32 tiles.

Last Major Update: 2014-07 / Earlier Discussion

Original Post:
          daibar wrote:
          Also, not sure why Level 3 and Level 4 seem to be the same; probably more clerical errors.
          They've done this before, it just means there's a decimal you can't see. So it's probably something like 5.0 and 5.4 damage, which you'd only see as a difference when she's a higher level.
          Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• yogi_
            yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
            ModStorm still recommended at 5/5/3 or do environmental tiles 2.0 push her to 5/3/5 or other?
          • HairyDave
            HairyDave Posts: 1,574
            yogi_ wrote:
            ModStorm still recommended at 5/5/3 or do environmental tiles 2.0 push her to 5/3/5 or other?
            Too early to tell.

It's really going to depend on how many tiles there are on the board at once and how useful the teamups are in practice. But unless they're completely game changing, I can't see much reason not to switch over to 5/3/5.
          • yogi_
            HairyDave wrote:
            yogi_ wrote:
            Too early to tell.

It's really going to depend on how many tiles there are on the board at once and how useful the teamups are in practice. But unless they're completely game changing, I can't see much reason not to switch over to 5/3/5.

Ya, was just getting in early icon_twisted.gif . I am not really following this Team-Up thing exactly until I see it in practice, but was kinda thinking along the lines of your response. I actually just got a black cover as a reward which made me think of it.

Good news for my Mohawk then, who is currently on 0/3/0! icon_lol.gif
          • The nerf bat continue to strike any covers that are working AS INTENDED. Not even 1* cover can escape from the almighty nerf bat. icon_lol.gif
          • simonsez
            simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
            So with Storm's board control getting totally knee-capped, once the CMag nerf happens, what becomes the best anti-goon squad?
          • simonsez wrote:
            So with Storm's board control getting totally knee-capped, once the CMag nerf happens, what becomes the best anti-goon squad?

Soon enough the only viable team left will be Yelena/bag man/DD. icon_e_biggrin.gif
          • over_clocked
            over_clocked Posts: 3,961
            simonsez wrote:
            oBW and/or MMN. Falcon and She-Hulk may see their value increase as well. Even Loki - 5 AP board shakeup will be the cheapest.
          • simonsez
            simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
            I've been playing around with Falcon in the PvE, and unless there's only one goon, his passive is way too slow to keep up with countdown tiles. Using the blues for OBW makes more sense.
          • HairyDave
            I have yet to see the new and improved Mistress go off but Team Ups are a HUGE boost in power so I'm kind of glad she's only smashing six tiles at max.
          • HairyDave wrote:
            I have yet to see the new and improved Mistress go off but Team Ups are a HUGE boost in power so I'm kind of glad she's only smashing six tiles at max.
            I was also just thinking that the addition of TU seems as though it may actually be a buff to storm rather than the nerf it appeared at first. Especially considering that the defensive team is always auto equipped with a TU ability whether you used one on offense or not.
          • hhmm, i never really go read around the forums much. But why the change of MOTE to yellow color ? And with the new reworked MOTE skill now, is it better or worse for the skill ?
          • OnesOwnGrief
            OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
            Hannybal wrote:
            hhmm, i never really go read around the forums much. But why the change of MOTE to yellow color ? And with the new reworked MOTE skill now, is it better or worse for the skill ?
            We needed an increase in Yellow skills honestly, but this also slows down Black Panther with his yellow. She no longer classes with Red which is nice considering the abundance of red users in the game.
          • Hannybal wrote:
            hhmm, i never really go read around the forums much. But why the change of MOTE to yellow color ? And with the new reworked MOTE skill now, is it better or worse for the skill ?
            We needed an increase in Yellow skills honestly, but this also slows down Black Panther with his yellow. She no longer classes with Red which is nice considering the abundance of red users in the game.
            Yes, kinda agree with you. But with the change in color, i guess also means diff combinations with other chars. Then again, any idea how the new recommended build will be like ?
          • OnesOwnGrief
            OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
            Hannybal wrote:
            Hannybal wrote:
            Yes, kinda agree with you. But with the change in color, i guess also means diff combinations with other chars. Then again, any idea how the new recommended build will be like ?
            If I were to ever use Modern Storm again, I'd probably go 5/5/3. She's still a 1* character. Mohawk Storm I'd probably have to think more about.
          • HairyDave
            Hannybal wrote:
            She partners really well with AWolvie now too - not that she didn't before - but in the 1-2* game yellow always went to waste unless you had Thor, Ares or Cap as the third. Now you've got more options.
          • yogi_
            Any further thoughts about "ideal" build now.

I have a whole bunch of Black covers to respec her with...
          • HairyDave
            They fall like rain in PvP anyway so you might as well switch and see which you prefer.
          • yogi_
            edited July 2014
            Further musings...

In terms of damage for MotE, for a single hit, max damage is now 366, before it was 34 x X. If you only have a limited number of TU tiles on the board, you are a little ahead. If there are quite a lot, you are down.

Now, you only can remove 6 tiles, before it was X. Cascade outcomes massively reduced. I've had a few games of her now and tile removal does squat. This alone is massive loss. Hello Juggs' Green.

In terms of wording, we've gone from a wind to a 2nd lightning - MotE is now basically a mini-"Lightning Strike" (aka. Lazy Lightning Strike). Was "Fierce winds swirl, sending heavy weights aloft and turning them against the enemy. Deals damage for each Environment tile, then shatters them." and now "Clouds darken the battlefield and lightning streaks across the sky as Storm's awesome power inspires her teammates and assaults her foes. Destroys up to Team-Up tiles, generating Team-Up AP and dealing damage per tile." They are almost better combining the two into the one power.

The only real boost is the benefit of Team-Up points. Which... well... could be useful, maybe. But you aren't really going into the game with that focus. You want the enemy dead, ASAP; not to be messing around. 9AP for squishy character for half a dozen TUAP. Eh.

Colour change to yellow (whatever) and raise in cost by 4AP.

Moving 5/5/3 to 5/3/5 gains you up to 84 attack per turn (12 more strike tiles at 7 each) and reduces your TUAP by 1 (in turn, reducing cascading opportunities by 1/6) and damage by 61 once. There is a weird number thing going in between level 3 and 4, so maybe there is slightly more damage loss involved. The benefit of 5 black compared to 3, seems to be greater than the gain of 5 yellow from 3.

At the broader level, I am not necessarily convinced that tying character abilities to earning TUAP is a good thing; it's too erratic a variable - might need some more time to see. In the longer term, I'd actually like to see her gain a different ability. Having said that, it's seemingly here to stay so the other perspective is to roll it out to characters on a more structured, limited scale.

She is such a great character and while I can see the argument for her TUAP gain, this is offset by a potential significant lessening of her damage potential.

Overall and particularly given the erratic current state of TU, I am calling nerf.
          • wymtime
            wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
            I have found a use for Modern storm. She is some what usefull in dumping un needed TU powers. Since at max she is level 50 I can go into the Prologue and and use red and green to destroy TU tiles to dump really bad TU abilities. Becuase she is only level 50 for me she does less damage on matches than most of my roster. Her best build is now 5,5,3 for optimal TU dumping. She has been nerfed for PVP and PVE as 9 Yellow is just too much AP and does not do enough damage or eliminate enough TU tiles.

All hail the queen of TU dumping icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
          • LavishDragoon
            LavishDragoon Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
            Disregarding the color swap, which does add some variety to the game. The change to mistress was necessary. If it still destroyed all the TUAP tiles at 5 AP she would be more broken than CMags. Even at 9AP and destroying all TUAP tiles she would still be broken. It would turn every board into mini forests. Equipped with the right Team Ups she would turn that 9 yellow/red ap into colorless AP that could power any power in the game...quite game breaking. It's not a nerf, it was a change. While her "power level" / usage may have gone done. Without the change her power would have done nothing...no more environment tiles in the game.